Home

Attribute Affects Slider

This is a discussion on Attribute Affects Slider within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2015, 04:01 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Attribute Affects Slider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
Why is it so hard for EA to make the Attributes Effect slider work intuitively - turned all the way one way, the spread should be furthest (like the minimum speed threshold). Attributes completely matter and players with higher ratings will dominate those with lower ratings (This would be the only setting I would use). The slider turned all the way the other way would make all players totally equal, so the attributes had no effect. The settings in the middle would be degrees of this. Why is that so hard?
Totally agree.
The system, if it really is as explained in this thread, is an absurdity.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:14 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpxgalaxy
Totally agree.
The system, if it really is as explained in this thread, is an absurdity.
I always questioned why they even have it. I want my players to perform according to their ratings, not some slider.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:16 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

Personally, I have my slider setting at 4 (of 6). I've found at 5 or 6, I see goalie animations that are so unrealistic it isn't even funny. At 3, I didn't find the great players to stand out as much as I'd like. For me, the sweet spot is 4. A notch above the middle, but not so much that it makes the game feel scripted or unrealistic. My .02.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2015, 09:42 AM   #12
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

Going strictly from memory here, but don't other EA Sports games use a slider scale that ranges from 0-100 unlike NHL which is 0-6 (or 0-4 in some instances)?
And suppose you edit, let's say, the slapshot power slider all the way up to 6 for human controlled players. If we were to also adjust the attribute slider all the way up to 6 would that add even more power to that slapshot? It makes me wonder if that attribute slider is even necessary.
Just my random Sunday morning thoughts while waiting for my coffee to brew.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

I don't think there is really any "wrong" setting. Depends on what you want out of the game. I've always had it at default, but since going to 3 my 4th liners are checkers and not scorers anymore. I think EA has this slider up higher on default so the casual gamer can score with lower rated players. For the sim people, lowering it a click or two allows a bigger range of ratings to take effect and doesn't push the higher players even higher and the lower players better than they should be.

Overall... I don't think the sliders for NHL have as much effect as the sliders in say, Madden do.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:09 AM   #14
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

I think that's the frustrating thing. The way sliders affect other games and not NHL. I mean think of the possibilities if the scale was greater, providing they worked properly.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherCreature
I think that's the frustrating thing. The way sliders affect other games and not NHL. I mean think of the possibilities if the scale was greater, providing they worked properly.
To be honest, I'm still shocked that after all these years they STILL haven't implemented an adequate slider system. 2k had it down perfect and let you tweak many more options than EA lets you mess with, and it didn't kill gameplay at all. It truly let you set the game at a perfect level for your own skills. It could make things as easy or challenging as you wanted. Not to sound like I'm changing this into a thread about Madden but... NHL 2k4 and 2k5 were some of the most enjoyable hockey games I have ever played, both easily in my top 5 mainly thanks to the sliders. Default settings were OK but not great. EA's defaults are terrible imo and adjustments don't seem to help all that much except for lowering game speed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #16
Rookie

Vmascarello's Arena

One think Im confident on now is Attribute Effects Slider has to be on 3. The game plays so much better with that setting. I think I have finally put together a slider set that works great. I just played 4 games in a row that all felt very good. They were competitive and had alot of PP's. I dont think theres any reason tweaking it further.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »