Home

NHL 16 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2016, 09:29 AM   #33
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 16 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread

Please teach me how to perform "dangle through opponents legs" faceoff on PS4 controller.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:36 PM   #34
Just started!

So a couple points quick, I'm new to the forums so sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong thread - just let me know where I should ask these if it is. Also, I mostly play in coach mode if that affects any answers. I've only played NHL 14 before this, so I have a few questions about mechanics and settings.

First of all, what exactly is the difference/effect of changing the difficutly and the difficulty slider? Like does one make the CPU smarter, and one just increases their stats? Do they change anything on my teams CPU?

Thanks for any help, I've got a lot more questions but going to try ad keep it short for now.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:23 PM   #35
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 151bar151
Please teach me how to perform "dangle through opponents legs" faceoff on PS4 controller.
Hold L1, and push up with the right stick when the ref drops the puck. Timing/success is a lot more difficult for this one than the standard faceoffs of course.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2016, 02:22 AM   #36
Rookie

swampgator's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
I need online vs tips.
I am good but not great. I see opponents do things that I cannot do.

1. I rarely land an effective body check. When I do knock a player down, he pops up and stick lifts me and regains possession. Is this a glitch?

2. Super quick passing when going into the corner to dig out pucks. It takes a half second for me to even be able to pass when I first gain possession. Pass button is super laggy for me.

3. Going into the corner for a 50/50 puck is like a 10/90 for me. Opponents become uncheckable, poke check is futile, stick lift works on average players but good ones seem to immediately go into a shield or hold the puck away from me with te right stick.

4. Good players can carry, juke, shield, through 3 of my defenders and get a shot off. Wtf?

5. Are there other teammate AI options other than the D pad options and specific line options? Some teams have AI players play way more aggressive than mine even at full pressure options.

Any help is appreciated
I'll help on 2 and 3

2. That is one poor thing about passing. Its not quick enough in certain situations. When you're going to the corner or the boards and you need to move the puck ASAP, its best to ditch R2 as a mechanism. Hold R1 and use your right stick to slap/chop at the puck. OR if you have enough time to actually gain control, immediately use your right stick to throw the puck around the boards or to another teammate by directing with the left stick. You'd be amazed how well this works as far as moving the puck quickly. It can give you some great odd man chances too.
You might take some icings but the better you get with directing the puck off the boards or too a teammate, the more success you'll have.

Both the stick chop and right stick passing take getting used to but once you've got the discipline down its a great tool and can really help you win hockey games.

3. This is a simpler answer. Use triangle. I really would like board play to be enhanced next year because its such a fundamental part of hockey. But in the meantime, triangle is the tool, and it is massively underutilized. When you're going to the boards to chase down an opponent with/getting the puck, hold triangle and pin him to the boards and let your AI/teammates come in a clean up.

Hope these help.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:25 AM   #37
Rookie

swampgator's Arena

Also always be using your right stick. It controls your hockey stick and forces your player to gain possession/battle for the puck. Its something that needs to be fixed as well because its much too involved in the game. Using it even seems to make your AI play better. They'll step up into passing lanes, put more pressure/attempt to check the puck carrier, you'll even take some AI penalties sometimes from it. Its baffling to me.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #38
Just started!

To somebody new to ice hockey positions may look a little confusing. With everyone moving so fast around the ice it may be tough to tell the difference between two players and their roles on the ice. Before you give yourself to a position, it’s important to know the physical and mental demands each position entails.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »