Home

Let's Test NHL 16

This is a discussion on Let's Test NHL 16 within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2015, 11:15 AM   #97
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Let's Test NHL 16

I hope the fluctuation in the morale system will be used as a basis to implement further fluctuation based on performance as well. I suggested something along these lines a while back (I'm fine with the number ratings). An in-season fluctuation of ratings based on Performance and Morale would be absolutely incredible.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #98
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I can do better than just describing them.

Spoiler

All kinds of goals in this one. How many of you would have thrown the controller (or the disc - in the trash that is) if that last goal had gone in on you?
If you are having issues on defense or the CPU not varying their attack PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE watch how bcruise plays defense in this video. This is a GREAT example of how it should be done.

Loved the goal variety, but seeing the Stars hard around the puck after already being set up in the zone before the tip goal was a thing of beauty, and something you caused by forcing the puck outside.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 12-31-2015, 12:59 PM   #99
Rookie

BSDShoes's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Adamjones, I'm wondering what your thoughts are on game speed and acceleration. I think after the most recent tuner the slider values were altered a bit—even though it wasn't listed in the changelog. Acceleration's effect on agility at lower settings seems more dramatic now as a result.

Just looking for some feedback on where you have these sliders. I've tried timing around the rink in practice mode, but you can only circle the rink with the puck on your stick, which would impede a player's actual ability to get up to speed.
Well the fastest I can get around the rink with a 95 or 96 speed player is about ~16 seconds, which isn't that bad compared to NHL's records of almost 14 seconds. You can skate without the puck, just that the camera stays on the puck lol.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #100
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Steaming on twitch

Watch live video from AdamJones113 on www.twitch.tv
Old 01-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #101
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

I'm very unhappy right now. The game of hockey I just played was frustrating. Using Washington, in an attempt to test their powerplay strategy, I fell 2-1 to the host Vancouver Canucks. Here's why this game felt worse than most games I've played all year.

1. To begin with, I couldn't even really test the Capitals' powerplay strategy. NHL 16 offers 3 powerplay strategies: Overload, Shooting, and Umbrella. The Capitals, on the other hand, use a 1-3-1 powerplay (picture it as the one where Ovechkin takes a one-timer from the left side... or just watch the video linked).
I'm not sure where "Shooting" came from, but the game tells me that it involves lots of shots from the points. [] Anyways, the 1-3-1 isn't in the game. Problem 1.

2. My only slider changes for this game were to maximize the CPU Penalty slider and minimize the Human Penalty slider, in an attempt to gain a few more chances to check out the Caps' strategy on the man advantage. [Unfortunate that you can't go to practice mode and practice special teams! You can practice with uneven squads, but that won't give the AI the "Penalty Kill" mindset.] But here's the thing. I wound up with 1 penalty and the Canucks wound up with 3 penalties. I take responsibility for the penalties I earned, but I played a lot of cycling on offense and only drew 1 penalty. 1:3 penalty ratio at a 6:0 slider ratio. That means the penalty sliders do not work as intended. That's Problem 2.

3. Here is the Canucks' first goal:

Watch live video from AdamJones113 on Twitch

Yeah. While I played reckless defense for the beginning of that clip, that goal is easily preventable. My boneheaded teammates cluster in the middle of the slot, completely immobile, as the opposing player cruises by for an easy goal. Way too easy goal for the Canucks. Problem 3.

4. Here's the second Canucks' goal:

As you can tell, I was very happy with this goal. Wrong. I was PISSED about this goal. This is a legacy issue from NHL 15 whereby goalies are stupid in regards to playing passes. The Canucks player tries to send a saucer pass cross-crease to his wide-open buddy, but Braden Holtby intercepts the puck... for a goal. Let's start with the first problem.

4a. Teammate AI Failure strikes once again. I'm controlling the back checker, who I believe is Nick Backstrom. I turn him to try to cut off the puck carrier's angle, only to see Matt Niskanen swerve from his excellent position and start headlong to the puck carrier, leaving the cross-crease forward wide open.

4b. Legacy issue. Holtby, rather than simply getting his stick in the way of the puck, slides into a perfect butterfly at the top of the blue paint. Problem is, he's facing the passer at a direct angle, and so the puck kicks off his stick and rolls into the net. The goalie needs to be able to read the pass and knock it away like he would a shot, not just let the puck hit him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #102
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
I'm very unhappy right now. The game of hockey I just played was frustrating. Using Washington, in an attempt to test their powerplay strategy, I fell 2-1 to the host Vancouver Canucks. Here's why this game felt worse than most games I've played all year.

1. To begin with, I couldn't even really test the Capitals' powerplay strategy. NHL 16 offers 3 powerplay strategies: Overload, Shooting, and Umbrella. The Capitals, on the other hand, use a 1-3-1 powerplay (picture it as the one where Ovechkin takes a one-timer from the left side... or just watch the video linked).
I'm not sure where "Shooting" came from, but the game tells me that it involves lots of shots from the points. [] Anyways, the 1-3-1 isn't in the game. Problem 1.

2. My only slider changes for this game were to maximize the CPU Penalty slider and minimize the Human Penalty slider, in an attempt to gain a few more chances to check out the Caps' strategy on the man advantage. [Unfortunate that you can't go to practice mode and practice special teams! You can practice with uneven squads, but that won't give the AI the "Penalty Kill" mindset.] But here's the thing. I wound up with 1 penalty and the Canucks wound up with 3 penalties. I take responsibility for the penalties I earned, but I played a lot of cycling on offense and only drew 1 penalty. 1:3 penalty ratio at a 6:0 slider ratio. That means the penalty sliders do not work as intended. That's Problem 2.

3. Here is the Canucks' first goal:

Yeah. While I played reckless defense for the beginning of that clip, that goal is easily preventable. My boneheaded teammates cluster in the middle of the slot, completely immobile, as the opposing player cruises by for an easy goal. Way too easy goal for the Canucks. Problem 3.

4. Here's the second Canucks' goal:

As you can tell, I was very happy with this goal. Wrong. I was PISSED about this goal. This is a legacy issue from NHL 15 whereby goalies are stupid in regards to playing passes. The Canucks player tries to send a saucer pass cross-crease to his wide-open buddy, but Braden Holtby intercepts the puck... for a goal. Let's start with the first problem.

4a. Teammate AI Failure strikes once again. I'm controlling the back checker, who I believe is Nick Backstrom. I turn him to try to cut off the puck carrier's angle, only to see Matt Niskanen swerve from his excellent position and start headlong to the puck carrier, leaving the cross-crease forward wide open.

4b. Legacy issue. Holtby, rather than simply getting his stick in the way of the puck, slides into a perfect butterfly at the top of the blue paint. Problem is, he's facing the passer at a direct angle, and so the puck kicks off his stick and rolls into the net. The goalie needs to be able to read the pass and knock it away like he would a shot, not just let the puck hit him.
This is a small part, but the Umbrella is the 1-3-1.

If you set up the power play and get the luck to Ovie or the wing on the right boards, one if the guys from the front screen moves low and you will see the 1-3-1.

The rest of your gripes are valid, but the 1-3-1 is definitely represented.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 01-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #103
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
This is a small part, but the Umbrella is the 1-3-1.

If you set up the power play and get the luck to Ovie or the wing on the right boards, one if the guys from the front screen moves low and you will see the 1-3-1.

The rest of your gripes are valid, but the 1-3-1 is definitely represented.

I'll check that out. Do you mean that in the game, the Umbrella plays out as the 1-3-1? What you describe sounds like some kind of hybrid 1-3-1/Overload combination. Would love a video if you have/can get one easily.

Odd. I'll check that after the Packers-Redskins game. Hoping I get the penalties.

Last edited by AdamJones113; 01-10-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #104
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
I'll check that out. Do you mean that in the game, the Umbrella plays out as the 1-3-1? Umbrella, to me, has two-guys down low and two on the half-boards, one at the top of the point. 1-3-1 has just one guy down low.

Odd. I'll check that after the Packers-Redskins game.
You get two guys in front when the puck is high (same as real life. A guy down low with the puck high is a waste of space). As the puck moves to the side boards, a man in front swings behind to open up another passing lane.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »