Home

Let's Test NHL 16

This is a discussion on Let's Test NHL 16 within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #105
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Let's Test NHL 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
You get two guys in front when the puck is high (same as real life. A guy down low with the puck high is a waste of space). As the puck moves to the side boards, a man in front swings behind to open up another passing lane.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Edited above question.

What's the rest of the team look like when the puck is on the half boards there? If two stay high that's just a 1-2-2 overload. If one drops down, then we're talking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #106
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

There's a video of the Caps power play in 16 (not my video, not my narration, etc). I can see both the 1-3-1 (at around the 39 and 60 second marks) and I can see the Umbrella with two guys down low (around the 42 and 50 second marks). So, I guess the "Umbrella" is a combination of both—Ovechkin still isn't as far back as he should be, but he's on the right side, and there's good movement by the forwards (poor movement by the CPU teammate defenders).

Last edited by AdamJones113; 01-10-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #107
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113

There's a video of the Caps power play in 16 (not my video, not my narration, etc). I can see both the 1-3-1 (at around the 39 and 60 second marks) and I can see the Umbrella with two guys down low (around the 42 and 50 second marks). So, I guess the "Umbrella" is a combination of both—Ovechkin still isn't as far back as he should be, but he's on the right side, and there's good movement by the forwards (poor movement by the CPU teammate defenders).
Remember - The CPU doesn't know he is Ovechkin, so you may want to get him the puck and have him manually take it to the left boards.

When you get the puck to a side board, one forward will move to puck side behind the boards, and one will come short side low slot. I've personally made the quick one touch bases to a one time in front of the net using this.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 01-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #108
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
Remember - The CPU doesn't know he is Ovechkin, so you may want to get him the puck and have him manually take it to the left boards.

When you get the puck to a side board, one forward will move to puck side behind the boards, and one will come short side low slot. I've personally made the quick one touch bases to a one time in front of the net using this.

That's a great point, and that's what a lot of people point to as the lack of player separation. If the CPU knew it had Ovechkin in particular then it would set up for him, which doesn't happen to the extent that it does in real life.

Cycling has been one of the best parts of this game, personally. This was the first year I've really felt that I could, and did, cycle the puck in a realistic fashion. Can't complain about much on that front.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #109
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
That's a great point, and that's what a lot of people point to as the lack of player separation. If the CPU knew it had Ovechkin in particular then it would set up for him, which doesn't happen to the extent that it does in real life.

Cycling has been one of the best parts of this game, personally. This was the first year I've really felt that I could, and did, cycle the puck in a realistic fashion. Can't complain about much on that front.
Just so you have visual from the real Caps (from tonight's first period):

Puck is moving from Niskanen to Backstrom on the right boards. You'll notice TJ Oshie and Kuznetzov are still in front of the goal (thank you Craig Laughlin for the perfect telestrator circles).

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 01-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #110
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

Then, Backstrom slides with the puck and Kuznetsoz slides too, causing the 1-3-1 you are looking for

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 01-10-2016, 08:21 PM   #111
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Thanks for alerting me to that. Here's the full vid:

To that effect, what the game got right:
Two forwards down low, a third along the half boards
Ovechkin on the left (albeit not as far as could be, but that's perfectly understandable)
Good low-high movement
And, to a certain extent, having a player in the slot
Got a defenseman down to the half boards later in the cycle

What the game got wrong:
Had two defensemen at the point for a fair bit of time
Didn't slide forward in slot to support puck carrier down low, as Oshie does in the pictures

Overall, I stand corrected on the Caps power play strategy in-game. While it's not perfect, it is definitely not as bad as I made it out to be. Thanks to Millennium for providing the pics and info. [Still not convinced about everything else, though, haha]
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #112
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

I was hoping for an improved Play Creator in NHL16, but I was pretty bummed to see that there isn't even the old one, at least not that I've found yet.

My biggest frustration is that while guys move around, they don't see to know where to be, and don't pivot their bodies to keep their chests open to the play. Guys seem to more often than not, drift around aimlessly, putting their backs to the play, or forcing themselves onto the backhands that they never seem to shoot very well. I notice it always seems to be that spinning backhand, they don't really pop the backhand up at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »