Home

Old 10-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #25
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Let's Test NHL 16

Right, starting a test on the Fatigue sliders, which I believe work. I'm going to do 4 stages of testing:

1. Fatigue Effect sliders at max, Fatigue Recovery sliders at the middle
Result: 4/10

2. Fatigue Effect sliders at min, Fatigue Recovery sliders at middle
Result: 6/10

3. Fatigue Effect sliders in the middle, Fatigue Recovery sliders at max

4. Fatigue Effect sliders in the middle, Fatigue Recovery sliders at min.

I'll post the line fatigue at the end of the period, on a scale of 1/10 (1 being most fatigued, 10 being no energy lost).

Last edited by AdamJones113; 10-12-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #26
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
Results of Test #1 for comparison purposes

First lets start with the sliders I used.

Everything at zero except the following

Attribute Effect 5
Game Speed 2
Player Acceleration 3
Pass assist 5
Pass speed 2
Faceoff Difficulty 3
Shot Power 3
Slap shot power 4

Game results of NYR (Me) vs Flyers (CPU) 10 minute periods Superstar/Custom

Score: Flyers 10 NYR 2 (The CPU was unstoppable juggernaut)
Shots: Flyers 56 NYR 30
Hits: Flyers 14 NYR 26
Pass% Flyers 74% NYR 66%
PP Flyers 2/4 NYR 0/0

The other stuff was irrelevant

Summary

The game had a few good things to like. there were a lot of loose pucks and missed passes, but the CPU still had those Superhuman nothing you can do to stop us moments.

Sliders that had absolutely zero to little difference on minimum as opposed to default or the sliders I use

Fatigue Effect: This seemed to do nothing to the performance of the CPU but had a slight effect on human controlled players. Mainly a placebo slider

Puck Control: HUMAN ONLY, even at zero the CPU still knocked you right off the puck same as default or my sliders. CPU was tougher but I saw more loose pucks overall.

Hitting Assistance and Hit Power: I was able to hit exactly like any other game I played on Default or my usual sliders. As did the CPU

Aggression: At zero I saw very little decline in the Aggressiveness of the CPU players on both sides.

Poke Effectiveness: Saw no difference in poke checking on zero as a well timed poke still knocked the puck away. Spamming however did not increase your chances.

Stick Lift Effectiveness: Same as Poke Check except I noticed the CPU just didn't really attempt it too much.

Pass Accuracy: CPU ONLY, tape to tape passing was no problem at zero for the CPU and when they went into superhuman mode it was tic tac toe goal....every time

Pass Interception: CPU ONLY, even at zero the CPU picked off a ton of my passes.

Pass Reception Ease: CPU ONLY, I did see more loose pucks and some miss handled passes but as with pass accuracy the CPU would put together plenty of tape to tape magnetic passes.

Goalie Reaction Speed: Saw very little difference in how the goalies played. I did give up 10 goals but I think that had to do with the huge differential you can see above in how sliders effect the Human over the CPU. I only scored 2 goals on 26 shots so the CPU goalie did just fine.

As you can see a large amount of very important sliders have very little to no impact on the game, mainly how the CPU plays and performs.

Sliders that actually had an impact on zero:

Fatigue Recovery: Both sides fatigue levels went down and on zero to low red for all lines and were unable to go back up, however this seemed to have no impact on the performance of the CPU team what so ever so it could easily have been listed in sliders that do nothing CPU ONLY..
Ok Test #2 With most sliders maxed use the above for comparison to most sliders at zero. Highlighted items will be things that changed or are new.

First lets start with the sliders I used.

Everything at Maximum (6) except the following

Attribute Effect 5
Game Speed 2
Player Acceleration 3
Pass assist 5
Pass speed 2
Faceoff Difficulty 3
CPU difficulty 0
Shot Power 3
Slap shot power 4

Game results of NYR (Me) vs Flyers (CPU) 10 minute periods Superstar/Custom

Score: Flyers 4 NYR 3
Shots: Flyers 35 NYR 39
Hits: Flyers 13 NYR 18
Pass% Flyers 75% NYR 63%
PP Flyers 2/6 NYR 1/4

The other stuff was irrelevant except time on attack was 7:00 minutes more in my favor though it never felt like it.

Summary

This game was light years better despite having things maxed there were a lot of loose pucks and very well played defensively. I would almost keep these as my sliders if I can increase the CPUs time on attack without having them destroy me. Most notable to me was I did not see any super human CPU moments at all and Penalties, with a mixed variety, were called. Goalies and shot accuracy would have to be decreased.

Sliders that had absolutely zero to little difference on maximum as opposed to default or the sliders I use

Fatigue Effect: This seemed to do nothing to the performance of the CPU but had a slight effect on human controlled players. Mainly a placebo slider

Puck Control: HUMAN ONLY, With this slider maxed I was able to knock the CPU off the puck much easier than zero but the CPU's ability to knock me off the puck remained the same as it did on zero.

Hitting Assistance and Hit Power: I was able to hit exactly like any other game I played on Default or my usual sliders. As did the CPU. I highlighted hit assistance because it can be removed from this list as on max it does not allow you to hit more (I actually had less than half the hits this game as I had in the game where this slider was at zero) but I saw a lot more pushing. It looked like a hit animation before a check but nobody went down. It knocked guys off the puck or they would pass just before getting shoved. I liked this as it gave the game a realistic feel.

Aggression: another slider that can be removed from this list, while I noticed no difference between default, my sliders, and zero. On max I felt the CPU really forechecked better and jumped on you quickly in their zone forcing me make a decision quickly to pass, dump, or shoot. My CPU teammates also seemed a bit better....just a bit.

Poke Effectiveness: Saw no difference in poke checking on Max as a well timed poke still knocked the puck away. Spamming however did not increase your chances.

Stick Lift Effectiveness: Same as Poke Check except I noticed the CPU did use this more often

Pass Accuracy: CPU ONLY, still passed for about the same percentage as they on zero but the super human tic tac toe passing was not there which must have to do with pass interception maxed or a combination of other sliders.

Pass Interception: CPU ONLY, even at zero the CPU picked off a ton of my passes. On max I can now pick off CPU passes as well.

Pass Reception Ease: CPU ONLY, I did see more loose pucks and some miss handled passes but as with pass accuracy the CPU would put together plenty of tape to tape magnetic passes. On Max I had some magnetic tape to tape passing as well but other sliders counter balanced this.

Goalie Reaction Speed: Saw very little difference in how the goalies played from zero to maxed but I did notice some odd animations a few of the goals just went through their legs without them even moving.

Sliders that actually had an impact on zero:

Fatigue Recovery: Both sides fatigue levels went down on Max but recovered very quickly, this however appeared to have little effect on the game but perhaps in a more positive way. It did not impact ice time as it was distributed from line 1 to 4 as you would expect to see in real life. so again could have been listed in sliders that have no impact as it was tough to discern if anything changed as a result of this.

In conclusion of both tests it appears that many sliders have little to no effect mainly on the CPU but can have a big factor in how the human controlled team plays. This supports some theories that default is the best way to go. My next experiment is using what I learned to come up with sweet sliders for myself because I did learn a lot from this and wonder why I never though of trying this before and I thank AdamJones for coming up with this test idea that put it into my head. I also look forward to his work on individual sliders because that will only further and deeper shed light on what were working with here.

Last edited by jake19ny; 10-12-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #27
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Great stuff Jake! Love the detail you put into that and I'm really looking forward to seeing what else you come up with. Thanks for taking the time to test.

One slider that definitely works is shooting power. Accuracy is hard to test (if anyone wants to take a crack at it, by all means), but going into Free Skate and adjusting the power sliders really makes a big difference, so I'll add that to the list.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #28
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
Great stuff Jake! Love the detail you put into that and I'm really looking forward to seeing what else you come up with. Thanks for taking the time to test.

One slider that definitely works is shooting power. Accuracy is hard to test (if anyone wants to take a crack at it, by all means), but going into Free Skate and adjusting the power sliders really makes a big difference, so I'll add that to the list.
Glad you mentioned that because I forgot to add that. The only difference I noticed in shot accuracy from zero to max was you never missed the net from right out in front on max and on zero I would shoot wide a lot. Also on max many of my attempts to dump and chase went right on net instead of into the corner.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #29
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Anyone interested in me streaming some tests on twitch (no commentary though)? The advantage of that would be live input and suggestions. Let me know, I'll be here till the Jays game.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:50 PM   #30
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Well done you guys!
Old 10-12-2015, 02:35 PM   #31
Rookie

Fatigue Recovery: Both sides fatigue levels went down on Max but recovered very quickly, this however appeared to have little effect on the game but perhaps in a more positive way. It did not impact ice time as it was distributed from line 1 to 4 as you would expect to see in real life. so again could have been listed in sliders that have no impact as it was tough to discern if anything changed as a result of this.

Unless I missed it, you didn't mention whether you used manual or auto line changes. I use hybrid control which means no choice but auto. The reason I ask, at some point I noticed that all 4 lines on my team were getting the same ice time, so I then changed fatigue effect/recovery to try to give more ice time to top 6 players. I realize penalties and therefore special team play would affect this greatly but I'm playing with out-of-box tuner with very few penalties being called. This was not a controlled test and just something I happened to notice.

Bottom line: Fatigue effect/recovery MAY affect ice time on auto line change. This would need to be tested to confirm however, unless, of course, you've already tested this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #32
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Hmmm, that's interesting Johnny. You think the sliders themselves affect ice time? I could see lines with better stamina getting more ice time, that's how most people change their lines. I'll test this out when I can—probably would need one Human—CPU and one CPU—CPU game to test. If you see anything more, post it here! Thanks!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »