Home

I asked Polygon to write about the input lag issue

This is a discussion on I asked Polygon to write about the input lag issue within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
Rookie

BigDisk's Arena

OVR: 3
I asked Polygon to write about the input lag issue

Here's what I sent them. Hopefully somebody will write something about it and EA will be forced to AT LEAST release a statement about the lag that's been plaguing every game mode.

This probably won't be working, but I'm so pissed about how this game plays that I figured I'd give it a try.

Quote:
Hey there Polygon,

First of all, some context: I'm a huge hockey fan, and an even bigger NHL-series gamer. The first NHL game i've played was NHL 92, and i've been buying every version since 2003.

The game EA delivered this year - NHL16 - played great during the open beta, held in early august, but since release, the whole online experience has be *horrific*.

The issue is simple, yet complicated. In a couple of words: there is a huge input delay in every online game modes (online versus, HUT - NHL EA's cash cow, AND EASHL - the 6v6 league mode that made its comeback in this edition). The delay makes doing simple plays a chore, and the game just feels plain wrong and is extremely frustrating to play online.

EA-Burnaby took a big step forward this summer by testing their new game in an open beta... We all could finally play EASHL on this new generation of consoles... after waiting over a year, the feature was brought back! This was a huge marketing success for EA, by all accounts. The game played really good; it convinced my friends and I that the final product would be definitely worth it, so we all paid 80 canadian dollars to grab our copies of NHL 16.

And, basically, we're just a couple of guys out of (hundred?) thousands of gamers paid for this game with the hopes of finally being able to play online with their friends....

But the game they actually released is different from the beta, it is almost unplayable due to this massive input delay, in every online game mode!

The whole community is being totally ignored, except for a single "We're looking into this" post on the EASports forums. No news from Facebook / twitter either.

You can see some evidence of the frustration here :
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/10369312.page
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/10357112.page

There is even an online petition to pressure EA into doing something or at least releasing a statement here:
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/10369057.page

Finally, somebody could a 1 line answer from EA about the lag, via Facebook:
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/10369471.page
And if you read any of the comments in this thread, you'll see how frustrated every body is about EA's lack of a simple answer. Like this post : "This is a slap in the face to everyone on this forum. No one should support this company if they can't even come on their own forums to address game breaking issues with their game. --Ryujinsum "

I figured you guys could be interested into knowing this... Who knows, an hypothetical upcoming editorial could really make things move! I mean, can a software company morally show gamers something awesome during an open beta, changed it and make it a dog once everyone has paid for it? Surely this would alienate any user base...

Regards,
Matthew
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2015, 07:59 AM   #2
Rookie

Södy's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I asked Polygon to write about the input lag issue

I don't have any lag in HUT.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
Rookie

BigDisk's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: I asked Polygon to write about the input lag issue

Well, lucky for you.

I get it in every single game.

I poped NHL 15 in and it's absolutely lag free in every online mode.

This issue is very real.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »