Home

Ignorance is Bliss

This is a discussion on Ignorance is Bliss within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-28-2015, 11:28 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Ignorance is Bliss

I LOVE NHL 16 - been playing nonstop since I got it and I think it looks great and plays great. I have been playing both Be a GM and Be a player and find both totally engrossing.

I also really enjoy both FIFA and Football Manager.

But here is the thing. I have been coaching Football, Basketball and Baseball in real life for 32 years now. Following a playing career of over 10 years.

With a few exceptions (mostly OOTP) I rarely enjoy most of the games in those three sports and I think it is because of knowledge. When one of the games gets something wrong it bugs me, I want it fixed and it bugs me even more when it was fixed in the past and they "re-break" it in newer releases because they decide it wasn't that important.

But Hockey and Soccer? I tend to always enjoy those games, because even if they get stuff wrong I never even notice because I never played and certainly never coached.

Might just be that for sports games ignorance is bliss and expectation is everything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2015, 01:14 PM   #2
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Ignorance is Bliss

Yep, I totally agree. Definitely ironic that people who enjoy a sport the most generally get the least enjoyment out of the video game version of it.

Along the same lines, I have found that being "not so good" at a sports game also helps the enjoyment....at least in the offline world. I always feel bad for the guys that are so good that they can't get a challenge out of the CPU and quickly get bored.....I never have that issue...LOL.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Yep. It's why I love NHL more than maybe most. I am not extremely knowledgeable about the gray matter of the game. In depth strategy etc. I just play.

It's a lot of fun. I am a growing fan of the NHL, especially this year. I have watched more regular season hockey this year than I have in the last 20 years.

I am a huge fan of basketball and football but did not play those sports on a competitive level either. yeah I played pick up games all the time. But not organized.

Baseball however is my wheelhouse. Played at a high level, coaching youth majors level travel ball now (have coached high school kids in the past).....and The Show gives me what I want better than any baseball game ever has. It really get's most of it spot on right.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 10-29-2015, 09:19 PM   #4
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Definitely onto something. I think staying out of the bugs/glitches and negative threads also helps a lot. Instead of looking for flaws, you're looking to enjoy the game.

Madden, NHL and WWE 2K are franchises I've played for decades. I'm enjoying all 3 more than I have in years because I'm just playing and not reading/posting a lot in those forums. I've been a fan of all 3 for decades, but never competed officially in any of them.

MLB The Show and NBA 2K are money for me every year, and those were the 2 main sports I played as a kid many years ago.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 10-30-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

I try not to watch too many replays either. Helps keep the ole blood pressure under control, lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #6
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Yep, I totally agree. Definitely ironic that people who enjoy a sport the most generally get the least enjoyment out of the video game version of it.

Along the same lines, I have found that being "not so good" at a sports game also helps the enjoyment....at least in the offline world. I always feel bad for the guys that are so good that they can't get a challenge out of the CPU and quickly get bored.....I never have that issue...LOL.
I guess tis safe to say the obvious, EA makes their game (ex. NHL) good and fun for casual gamers but bad and extremely frustrating who love the sports. Why not create where both casual and hardcore gamers enjoy the game. By having a tuner/settings for casual and hardcore. I know there's "hardcore" mode but its not really really meeting the terms.

To be honest, I returned my copy of NHL 16 at GF, so I could get another game. Its just frustrating how EA can act so slowly in fulfilling their promises...especially with their pathetic tuner updates. Expecting to have different levels of tuners like before, now you are forced to use just one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »