Home

NHL 16 Skaer Tips - Efficient Breakout Passing

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Skaer Tips - Efficient Breakout Passing within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

OVR: 0
NHL 16 Skaer Tips - Efficient Breakout Passing

Hi guys, today's EASHL video is about breakout passes. There's a lot of good defenceman in this game but one skill that separates the good from the great is their ability to protect the puck, and send it up the ice quickly and safely to the forwards.

Here are few tips that will help:
- Make smarter decisions on the breakout
– More efficient offense in transition
– Fewer Defensive Zone Turnovers
– Fewer Suicide Passes/Neutral Zone Turnovers
– Overall Happier Teammates (Especially Goalies)

- Know your options (boards, center, dman). When you pick up the puck you should always have 3 options. The winger by the boards, the center in the middle of the ice, and your defensive partner usually somewhere behind the net. You're first option is to get the puck to the forwards but don't force it. Hockey's a simple game if you pass it to the open guy. If the forwards are covered and you're running out of time, send it behind the net and don't turn the puck over.

- Is there pressure when you get the puck? Sometimes you'll pick up the puck and the other team is already in your face. You're not going to have time to skate or look around and you definitely don't want to turn the puck over right in front of your net. Trust that your teammates are where they are supposed to be and get rid of the puck with one-touch pass or a shot around the boards. Even if they intercept the pass, they'll pick it up along the outside and that will give your team time to regroup then if you turned it over right in front of the net.

If there is no pressure there's no need to rush the pass. Take your time, and carry the puck up the ice until you find an open teammate.

- Its ok for a Dman to carry the puck all the way into the offensive zone if the forwards are covered and the other team is giving you space. In drop-ins the forwards might yell at you but don't listen to them, trust your reads and make the smart play.

- Always make yourself available as a passing option. Sometimes your D partner gets in trouble and he needs to know that you're going to be behind the net (or have any passing lane) to help him out. Just because you don't have the puck doesn't mean you can't help team.

People are always blaming defenceman for a poor breakout and sometimes its true. A turnover could come from poor decision making or being too slow with the puck. But other times, its a combination of the forwards going too far up the ice or your defensive partner not providing a safety net passing lane for you. These tips can help limit YOUR mistakes, but remember the most important thing is communication. Talk to your teammates so as a group you can learn from mistakes and become stronger as a unit.

Please keep the comments/feedback, if any, about the video.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: I want to apologize for disappearing for a while. I've been pretty down in the dumps since the vote. I know its stupid getting depressed over a video game, but understand I've spent nearly 15 months non-stop making tip videos. That kind of dedication and in the end 'your not good enough' gets to you, especially when you experience this enough outside of NHL. I thought I had a chance of being the second guy to represent hardcore high-level goalies, as even though its one of the smaller communities, its arguably the most important part of the game since it affects every game mode (except sims). I still think a second high-level goalie voice should be there to not only help improve the game but another guy to help test out any possible exploits/glitches, but alas, its not the decision they went with so I have no choice similar to fans of the NBA's 76ers but to #TrustTheProcess. There is no animosity at all.

I do want to focus on the positives as well. I was shocked to receive messages on twitter/xbox/etc of people supporting me during the vote. As a thank you for all the support from the forums for my videos I'll be giving away XBL/PS+ cards over the course of the next few months. Its a very simple contest and the rules are in this video:
https://t.co/OimkjvqDJX

I hope you all can understand. No need to comment about this, I'll just keep doing my best for you guys.

Last edited by jmoney2436; 12-13-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 16 Skaer Tips - Efficient Breakout Passing

Can anybody mod fix the name of the title for me? I don't know how.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »