Home

Bring Back the Push Puck + Ability to Chip and Chase

This is a discussion on Bring Back the Push Puck + Ability to Chip and Chase within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2016, 07:17 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Bring Back the Push Puck + Ability to Chip and Chase

Seems rather silly that this feature was done away with in the first place, it certainly has its place in hockey.

This being missing along with the inability to chip the puck in(to play it yourself) really take away from the speed of the game. If you don't dangle the player or have someone to pass to, what do you do?

In real life, the answer is get pucks deep. Does it always work? No. But it works a lot better than 20 foot high flips that usually go over the boards or saucer passes that go way too far. Of course if this were to work in theory EA would need to make the transition from backskating to forward far more realistic(based on agility perhaps). Because the whole idea is to out-skate the defender without him legally being able to play the body.

One man plays along the boards are extremely commonplace in hockey, yet are completely absent from the EA NHL series.

What do you guys think? How should this be properly implemented?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Bring Back the Push Puck + Ability to Chip and Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06woz
Seems rather silly that this feature was done away with in the first place, it certainly has its place in hockey.

This being missing along with the inability to chip the puck in(to play it yourself) really take away from the speed of the game. If you don't dangle the player or have someone to pass to, what do you do?

In real life, the answer is get pucks deep. Does it always work? No. But it works a lot better than 20 foot high flips that usually go over the boards or saucer passes that go way too far. Of course if this were to work in theory EA would need to make the transition from backskating to forward far more realistic(based on agility perhaps). Because the whole idea is to out-skate the defender without him legally being able to play the body.

One man plays along the boards are extremely commonplace in hockey, yet are completely absent from the EA NHL series.

What do you guys think? How should this be properly implemented?

EA would have to completely change the gap control which would confuse, I would say more than half, the players as to why they couldn't dangle 185 feet anymore.

They would need actual tutorials on how to implement strategies. EA's tutorials are just mini games with no explanation of gameplay scenarios. I've been trying to learn FIFA and while their tutorials helped me learn the controls (some of them) it did very little for in-game situations.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #3
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

I've always said that there is no reason the saucer pass is any different than a regular pass. They should be tied into the same button, just with a modifier. Would make using the saucer pass as a chip button much easier. I just think the R1 and RB buttons ruin it in game. Not as responsive.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 02-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #4
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Yes, this would be a fantastic addition. But as Roscosuper said, it isn't feasible as EA's game engine currently stands.

As Fiddy said, you don't have the control to play the puck as is required in a chip/skate scenario. If you do manage to get a 1-on-1 along the boards, or a similar situation for chipping, those rarely work out. CPU defenders are either too passive or too aggressive for a chip and chase to work.

Now, I'm not saying that there's something wrong with the game; I'm just saying this particular tactic isn't a viable one.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #5
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Gonna stream a Chip/Chase test momentarily.

Watch live video from AdamJones113 on www.twitch.tv
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2016, 07:43 AM   #6
Just started!

OVR: 0

I agree. I don't know why they took these features out. Anow EA mod on the NHL Reddit said they were working with these features (and others) to perfect them before they add them back in. A couple should resurface on NHL 17!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »