Home

Why can I never find anyone to play versus?

This is a discussion on Why can I never find anyone to play versus? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Why can I never find anyone to play versus?

I try and I try but can hardly ever get somebody to play! I see this screen all the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: Why can I never find anyone to play versus?

This happens to me as well. Most of the time it's when I shut down (well, standby) my Xbox after playing and the connection to the servers seems stuck the next time I turn it on. I reboot the console and then it usually will find someone on the first try.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #3
MVP

Gerg04's Arena

OVR: 5

I think its because so few people are online! I have the same issue on Xbox.

EA had better do something to get more people playing this game next year and going forward. I need my hockey fix.

Apples to oranges I know, but there's damn near 100,000 people playing Rocket League (PC) most nights. I barely see 10,000 people online in NHL. Even that is a stretch.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2016, 12:51 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

The Online Versus Play population seems to be about the same as it was last year:

About 1,000 to 2,000 players per console during the evenings.

This is what happens when a mode with many problems remains stagnant year after year with hardly any changes -- people stop playing it and start playing other modes, or they just start playing other videogames instead.

OVP still doesn't have basic essentials for competitive play like the ability to save your preferred lines and strategies. If you try changing that stuff before the game starts, your opponent will likely leave the match before you can set everything up. The sad thing is that you can save all this stuff in HUT, and have been able to for years -- still not in OVP, though.

The rosters for OVP are also slow to update and the player ratings aren't great, to put it mildly.

The leaderboard system is still incredibly primitive and weighted so that the number of wins is the only stat that really matters. A guy with 300 wins/300 losses will be rated above someone with 100 wins/10 losses just because the first guy won more games.

OVP games are also consistently laggy compared to EASHL games because they are still using a peer-to-peer connection setup instead of connecting you to a dedicated server.

They also took out the ability to bring local friends into OVP matches when they made the transition to the new consoles and still haven't added that feature back.

It's easy to see why this mode has become a ghost town.

Last edited by jyoung; 02-25-2016 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:42 AM   #5
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1

Ya, they'll probably take the mode out saying, "Not enough people play it", like they did with online franchise mode ... only, people didnt play it bc they didnt like it, they didnt play it bc it was broken and no fun.

To give an answer to the OP, is it possible that it could be your NAT (Network Address Translation) rating? I don't know where you'd find that on XBOne, but most major online games like Call of Duty will tell you what it is when you go to the multiplayer menu.

If so, I'd google your router model along with, "How to open my nat" and see where that leads you, as most routers are different.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2016, 06:48 AM   #6
MVP

Gerg04's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
The Online Versus Play population seems to be about the same as it was last year:

About 1,000 to 2,000 players per console during the evenings.

This is what happens when a mode with many problems remains stagnant year after year with hardly any changes -- people stop playing it and start playing other modes, or they just start playing other videogames instead.

OVP still doesn't have basic essentials for competitive play like the ability to save your preferred lines and strategies. If you try changing that stuff before the game starts, your opponent will likely leave the match before you can set everything up. The sad thing is that you can save all this stuff in HUT, and have been able to for years -- still not in OVP, though.

The rosters for OVP are also slow to update and the player ratings aren't great, to put it mildly.

The leaderboard system is still incredibly primitive and weighted so that the number of wins is the only stat that really matters. A guy with 300 wins/300 losses will be rated above someone with 100 wins/10 losses just because the first guy won more games.

OVP games are also consistently laggy compared to EASHL games because they are still using a peer-to-peer connection setup instead of connecting you to a dedicated server.

They also took out the ability to bring local friends into OVP matches when they made the transition to the new consoles and still haven't added that feature back.

It's easy to see why this mode has become a ghost town.
You can have a local player join you in versus, can play up to 4 players per team. A buddy and I play all the time, when we can find an opponent lol. They removed it last year from some unknown reason, but its back now.

I agree with most of what you said. Its certainly a frustrating experience. I'm a huge hockey fan and a huge hockey-videogame fan. When it works it's ok/fun. I never have problem's with lag. Of course the core problems with the game exist, but that's another discussion.

But when you search and can't find an opponent for 2, 3, 5 minutes and so on, like you said, it gets real easy to play another game instead and just give up. Which again, is a shame; NHL is a major reason I even still own a console (not the only), so it's disappointing.

And I think the reason its a ghost town is because of the direction they game has gone and where it is currently. I still have fun playing the series, but will also be the first to admit its basically on life-supoort. There's just literally so few players playing, the numbers will naturally be down. And this year, in my opinion has less overall players on per day. Its consistently been dropping for the last few years.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gerg04; 02-25-2016 at 06:52 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »