Home

The Perversion of the Right Stick

This is a discussion on The Perversion of the Right Stick within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2016, 06:37 PM   #25
Rookie

swampgator's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Perversion of the Right Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjones
Can someone please make a quick video of the gameplay, please? Thank you!!!
I will attempt to do so this week. Been swamped with the startup. In the meantime, roll into practice mode and see if you can mimic what i'm claiming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2016, 10:29 PM   #26
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2

I'll check this out in play now mode tonight, gonna stream (AdamJones113 on twitch) around 11-11:15 EST. Very intrigued.

Last edited by AdamJones113; 04-09-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:30 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampgator
It's almost a defensive skill stick honestly. It will break up/intercept passes...this fiddling of the right stick has kept it out of my net.
Ok, but I still don't understand how this is any different from constantly holding R1 and sweeping or chopping the puck with R stick?
Old 04-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #28
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

I haven't noticed a huge difference except my hits seem harder. Passes do seem to lead the player better though. I wonder if some of it everyone just paying closer attention to their player (thus doing a better job of being in the passing lanes and/or gliding instead of sliding). But if it's helping you enjoy and play the game, then by all means go ahead and keep doing it.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #29
Rookie

Just tried it in quite a few on-line versus match ups. I have to admit, I was skeptical about it, because how come I didn't know about this being a relative veteran to this series, I'm playing since NHL 2001 on PS One.

Anyway, this makes an enormous difference. From what I gathered so far it leads to these things:

- On the forecheck, it makes your closest to the puck carrier player to jump in and pressure him very aggressively, poke checks, stick lifts and hits are utilized. It's very fun to play forecheck now, I take an indeep player and mash the right stick to try to pressure one man with two of my guys. From what I could gather the third forward stays somewhat close to a far-side board but not that far from the center either. The D will very actively try to close the zone and keep the play alive and not just along the boards, like they usually do, but along the length of the blue line. All players will also actively try to intercept passes with a good efficency at that.

- On dumps, the chasing player will try to position his body in such a way that he has little to no momentum to battle against when he gets to the puck, so you can transition to puck possession fluidly and are free to skate further along the boards or cut to a more centeral area of the OZ. It'll also make your player to cut behind the net, including those situtations when it is quite challenging to do it manually.

- On loose pucks, your player will make a few strides left or right, directly depending on his handness and then one stride forward, this can be very useful for blue liners. The downside, you can't shoot or pass during the animation.

- On contested pucks, your player will try to win the puck for himself and there are a few animation that I've never seen before, tapping the puck from behind a puck carrier is one for that matter, I must say it looks very cool and realistic, works charmingly when there is some mess in your slot.

- On breakout defense, your players will actively try to step up to intercept breakout passes. If a puck carrier is trying to get in your DZ close to the side boards and your pressuring the said puck carrier with one of your forwards, tapping the right stick will make your D actually try to close the way in your zone near the boards, that's a very effective way to either not let somebody in your DZ or if he somehow succeeded, you can corner him very effectively with your forward and your D.

- On zone defense, your players will try to pressure the opposition into the boards, that includes the area behind the net, luckily, they seem to find there way in and out of there quite alright if using the right stick for that, strange thing... If the opposition finds their way to a more central area of your DZ, your players will try to collapse on the net, making it problematic to shoot the puck through. They'll also use poke checks, stick lifts, board pins etc and try to actively intercept passes.

- On board plays, if your CPU teammate or you manage to pin someone to the boards, using the right stick will make another player to pitch in on the play and try to retrive the puck. If you're pinned to the boards, using the right stick will make your CPU teammate to try to open up along the boards for a kick pass rather than trying to poke the puck out of the scrum.

Okay, that's pretty much it. Maybe there is something else there, but this is all I could find for now.

Last edited by iCake; 04-18-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #30
Rookie

ChubbyD's Arena

OVR: 1

I have been playing with this in my playoff season, and it has been amazing. I went back to default All-Star sliders, and the difference after a couple games has been dramatic. I don't know if the AI learning has triggered something, but the more I use the right stick, the more aggressive the AI opponent has become as well. I can't tell you how many times I've been hit just entering the offensive zone where I didn't leave myself room to maneuver. I actually have to dump and chase with my lower lines or the puck will be taken away and an odd-man rush is going the other way.

The one thing you have to be careful with is that whoever you are controlling at the time isn't around an opposing player. If you are, and you hit them, you get called for interference.

The base of a great game is there. It just needs some polishing, and some tweaks to defensive control, as has been repeated ad nauseum. But the last 10 games or so I've played have been unbelievable fun.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:36 PM   #31
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

one... thing I did notice in goalie mode, if I don't press select button to go in third person mode, and just control the left stick , my team always scores, I did test the right stick little more, what it seems to be is it is shoot button , but also left stick is shoot button also, but... left stick seems to be pass & Deke & shoot, right stick seems to be cycle & pass & shoot, left stick is also control forwards weather is pass up side boards or get in to position of pass or sometimes intercept pass or blocking , its kinda neat to see how AI Human CPU works sometimes, but again if you don't get it right or your not activeness with left or right stick, the AI Human CPU will be stuck in your zone for 2 periods and you'll be out shot and scored, so it kinda does punish you in way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #32
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

going to attempt if raising "puck control: CPU: 4-6 & Human: 4-6" makes goalie mode any easyer, fiddling with left stick and right stick.

upon testing, everything felt weird and smooth, but the game didn't seem easyer like back in 2015 with older patches, I have this issue, when making goalie sliders AI CPU goes in to rapid mode and scoring at will and sliders didn't seem to effect them like they used to, I tried lowering AI Learning and attribute effects and pass interceptions all of them failed, its almost like sliders don't effect AI CPU, but I think there's got to be slider that effects them greatly and still searching for it, but... I just can't get them to stop scoring 3 goals in the first period, that's my issue, am a good goalie but... I think AI CPU needs nerf in goalie mode, they are way too over powered.

Last edited by SuperGoalies; 05-06-2016 at 11:11 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »