Home

Playoffs too Easy?

This is a discussion on Playoffs too Easy? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2016, 10:24 PM   #9
MVP

shogunofharlem3's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Playoffs too Easy?

I have played every game fro this season. The game has played incredibly for me. Really found the right slider set for me that was great. Went about 50-30 in the season, pretty much all 1 goal games. Really fun.

I am also whomping the playoffs. I am in the Stanley Cup Finals now, only lost 1 game so far.

What I'm seeing is the stats and stuff are the same but the goalies, ugh, the ai goalies are brutal. The ai still has their "I'm going to score" moments, but very few. They sometimes get pucks they shouldn't but as a whole, the game play is great.

Got me thinking. In my NHL 14 goalie edit I did, every goalie got a 0 for consistency (0 is the best, 1 is the worst). I wonder if playoffs effect the goalies in that regard. I can't see the consistency rating in NHL 16, you can only see it in an editor for Legacy versions.

I wonder if somehow Consistency is skewed or somehow really comes into play with the ai, especially in the post season. I've scored more goals just throwing on net from the blue line in the playoffs than I have in 82 games regular season.

I wish I could get to those hidden attributes to check on this further. Tomorrow, I win the CUP, or I don't, now that I have jinxed myself.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:53 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3
I have played every game fro this season. The game has played incredibly for me. Really found the right slider set for me that was great. Went about 50-30 in the season, pretty much all 1 goal games. Really fun.

I am also whomping the playoffs. I am in the Stanley Cup Finals now, only lost 1 game so far.

What I'm seeing is the stats and stuff are the same but the goalies, ugh, the ai goalies are brutal. The ai still has their "I'm going to score" moments, but very few. They sometimes get pucks they shouldn't but as a whole, the game play is great.

Got me thinking. In my NHL 14 goalie edit I did, every goalie got a 0 for consistency (0 is the best, 1 is the worst). I wonder if playoffs effect the goalies in that regard. I can't see the consistency rating in NHL 16, you can only see it in an editor for Legacy versions.

I wonder if somehow Consistency is skewed or somehow really comes into play with the ai, especially in the post season. I've scored more goals just throwing on net from the blue line in the playoffs than I have in 82 games regular season.

I wish I could get to those hidden attributes to check on this further. Tomorrow, I win the CUP, or I don't, now that I have jinxed myself.
Oh man... these are terrible news... I canīt believe im grinding a 82 game season, playing absolutely great, only to sweep the playoffs...
Old 04-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #11
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

I wish there was a way for EA to do a better job capturing the amped up intensity of the playoff on the ice and in the stands. Outside of terrible towels a playoff game feels like a regular season game.
My season is going great and I think for all the grief we throw EAs way they have made great strides from 15 to 16 so I hope they focus on a lot of the little things we all talk about that will go a long way in gameplay for 17. If I have one beef with my season is that I find once I score 3 goals the game is always mine. I never see the CPU make a comeback. I have great tight games and I have battled back in games from behind but the CPU seems to roll over and die if you build a lead. It would be nice to see the CPU teams use their timeout and have a game every now and then where CPU turns it around and comes from behind to win. That really be cool in a playoff game with the crowd going nuts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
I wish there was a way for EA to do a better job capturing the amped up intensity of the playoff on the ice and in the stands. Outside of terrible towels a playoff game feels like a regular season game.
My season is going great and I think for all the grief we throw EAs way they have made great strides from 15 to 16 so I hope they focus on a lot of the little things we all talk about that will go a long way in gameplay for 17. If I have one beef with my season is that I find once I score 3 goals the game is always mine. I never see the CPU make a comeback. I have great tight games and I have battled back in games from behind but the CPU seems to roll over and die if you build a lead. It would be nice to see the CPU teams use their timeout and have a game every now and then where CPU turns it around and comes from behind to win. That really be cool in a playoff game with the crowd going nuts
I have seen the CPU come back from 3 goals against me on 2 ocasions and once they even came back from a 4 goal deficit and won in OT.

Not many times sure, but i also donīt have many games where im winning with 3+ goals difference, so i would say that part has been ok in my season.

Im already thinking about how i will solve the playoff problem, first i will raise CPU goalie sliders by one. If that doesnīt fix it, maybe reduce my own shooting accuracy.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0

well, good news for you.. i played on PRO with the habs. i played a full season. went 47-24-11 with 105 pts.. so far, so good. Then played 1st round vs Buffalo who were 43-29-10 for 96 pts. habs were 2nd seed, buf was 7th seed. Got swept 4-0 in the 1st round by BUF.. 5-4, 4-2, 3-1 and 4-1. I never stood a chance.

So i thought the other way around. i thought playoffs were tougher than Reg Season.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #14
Pro

JG1986's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
That's interesting. I notice the opposite. It is difficult for me to win by 3 or more goals. I figure when a team is up by 3 or more goals they sit back a bit, which is what I tend to do in the game. At least my NY Rangers seem to do that in real life, no? In the game, I end up playing a little softer and give up couple of easy goals.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #15
Pro

JG1986's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3

BINGO. That right there. I feel like in the playoffs, the game plays differently, which is what I guess I was trying to demonstrate in my OP. I averaged only 2.67 goals in the regular season. In the playoffs, I'm averaging a tick above 3.5. Blue line shots NEVER went in and they have in the post season, where I'm supposed to be playing tougher teams. And I totally get that this is a videogame, and there are anomalies in real life and weirder things have happened. But for some reason, the game seemed to play different for ME in the postseason. CPU AI was not nearly as aggressive among other things, and the CPU goalie seems to have let in softer goals. In the first round, it felt great. But then in the second and third round it got boring. I will say though, in this game's defense, Ottawa has made the series 3-2, but I can't tell if that is because I am being challenged or because I know the CPU has been **** in the playoffs so I've been playing softer to make everything seem more realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #16
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

I've found the game got too easy with adjusted sliders even on Superstar. Something about it. I moved back to default sliders on All-Star and i get dominated at times.

I would suggest default All Star or Superstar settings/sliders.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »