Home

NHL 17 Gameplay Series Blog - Control The Ice

This is a discussion on NHL 17 Gameplay Series Blog - Control The Ice within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2016, 06:12 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
There's some good nuanced improvements in there.
I hope they show some gameplay videos showing them off.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #10
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NHL 17 Gameplay Series Blog - Control The Ice

Agreed... I see the writing.. let's see some game play!!!
Old 07-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #11
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

Sounds awesome but will it translate into the gameplay? Hope so. I also saw a nice entire team celebration in the trailer perhaps a playoff win? Playoff clinch win? Or a big OT win? Looked good
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #12
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

I'm trying so hard not to be cynical in looking at the game, but I can remember reading about every game release and going "Finally X gets looked at...still wish it was Y, but this should be nice" only to be let down when the game released.

Morale was a huge one last year, and it ended up being next to worthless in game.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #13
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
Sounds awesome but will it translate into the gameplay? Hope so. I also saw a nice entire team celebration in the trailer perhaps a playoff win? Playoff clinch win? Or a big OT win? Looked good

The gameplay Feature list is promising but i agree here....how will it translate in gameplay.

For example the sliders, nhl 17 will jave aliders 0-100. Nhl 16 had 0-6. On max penalty sliders for human/cpu, both teams averaged probably 2 penalties a game.

If in nhl 17 100/100 penalties yield the same thing, what good does 0-100 do? It ll just make slideritis more "acute". 100/100 penalty sliders should create penalties where a player gets called on for BREATHING on his opponent.

Same with the rest of the features will it impact the gameplay in a significantly positive manner.

I am cautiously optimistic....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #14
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5

Idk, list of improvements is really thorough....To me though, the increase of slider adjustment possibilities from 0-6 to 0-100 makes me think they're saying, "Okay this game isn't going to be great, so here's a way for you to manually make it less bad".

Cautiously optimistic as well. I think NHL would really benefit from the switch to Frostbite, so I might just wait until that happens to purchase. We'll see what the Beta brings.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #15
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccavs64
Idk, list of improvements is really thorough....To me though, the increase of slider adjustment possibilities from 0-6 to 0-100 makes me think they're saying, "Okay this game isn't going to be great, so here's a way for you to manually make it less bad".

Cautiously optimistic as well. I think NHL would really benefit from the switch to Frostbite, so I might just wait until that happens to purchase. We'll see what the Beta brings.
I think in sports games, sliders are almost a requirement at this point. It's hard to have an in-game product that's going to appeal to everyone, while still being fun and accessible. The guy who just started watching hockey just wants to go out and score some goals. He doesn't really care about neutral zone pressure or defensive coverage on the PK.

But, the person who's been watching hockey, maybe played some, and wants a realistic experience is going to be focused on everything from lateral movement of the goalie to what forwards do in the zone on an odd-man rush.

Sliders let you tweak the game to your liking, so both of the above, and everyone in between can find their happy medium. The issue has been a combination of the AI being downright useless in some situations, and the fact that the sliders themselves were hard to understand, and didn't seem to really change that much when they were used.

If the changes make the sliders actually do more, they will be a great addition. If they take the already weak/ineffective sliders and just increase the range you have to move things for nothing to happen, it will be incredibly frustrating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2016, 08:07 AM   #16
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
The gameplay Feature list is promising but i agree here....how will it translate in gameplay.

For example the sliders, nhl 17 will jave aliders 0-100. Nhl 16 had 0-6. On max penalty sliders for human/cpu, both teams averaged probably 2 penalties a game.

If in nhl 17 100/100 penalties yield the same thing, what good does 0-100 do? It ll just make slideritis more "acute". 100/100 penalty sliders should create penalties where a player gets called on for BREATHING on his opponent.

Same with the rest of the features will it impact the gameplay in a significantly positive manner.

I am cautiously optimistic....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. I tested the sliders in NHL 16 and played a game with all sliders maxed and all sliders minimized and found only a select few impacted the game and most of those the difference was small. If sliders 0-100 do the same thing then they will amount to little more than a placebo

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »