Home

NHL 17 Franchise Mode Trailer and Plenty of Details

This is a discussion on NHL 17 Franchise Mode Trailer and Plenty of Details within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #57
Rookie

Caniac94's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 17 Franchise Mode Trailer and Plenty of Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeq672
I cant play this game for 2 minutes without saying "Wtf?". Every game is a messy cluster**** of nonsense, and part of that is because of the way 95% of people play this game, and a lot of it is because of a lack of real and worthwhile changes to the game. The AI is an absolute disaster and is one of the main contributors holding the game back, for the 7 straight year or so, they dont even know that there is a net there and they skate into it 50 times a game. I could go on all day or post videos just from the beta alone thatll make you wonder what the heck is going on, but I dont wanna sound so entitled.(thats a joke, everyone relax)
Amen dude. I can't even play my position on defense properly because my CPU teammates don't seem to know how to play their positions so I'm left trying to cover for them also. I played 16 the other night. I intercepted a pass and had what looked like a clear cut 2 on 1. I was skating down sorta to the left side with the puck as I got up to the blie line and my CPU teammate was to my right. He just randomly stopped at the blue line no joke. ON A 2 ON 1. WTF??? I can't even begin to explain all the ridiculous times the CPU has gone into "God mode" and scored on some garbage goal to miraculously tie/win the game late.

I'm not here to hate on this game. I don't want to hate this game but the AI is atrocious. No sugar coating it, it's bad. If we had AI with some brains that could make realistic decisions and cut down on the cheats (speed cheat especially) then this game could play a lot better. I just want my experience to feel more "pure" and less arcade-like.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:04 PM   #58
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

My biggest deciding factor will be the slider affect on gameplay.

I don't expect the AI to be perfect, and I will have to wait and see actual AI vs Human gameplay in the finished product with skilled people playing before I decide.

Last yeah, I just didn't see enough of a difference between 14 and 16 in terms of AI ability to handle their positions, or join in on rushes. I've heard various things from a number of people saying they're seeing improvements, but with something so subjective, you've either got to play it yourself, or at least get a video of someone playing more than EASHL, where human players pulling everyone out of position can throw everything off.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:11 PM   #59
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeq672
Oh but his rants calling people entitled brats and stuff is super constructive, got it.

I voice my constructive opinions on the EA forums where the dev's actually read and respond, doing so here seems kinda pointless, although Ive done it here too.

Its cool that some of you are happy with the game no matter what, in my opinion that partly why we get half assed efforts from this dev team every year. Im so sick of the excuses that theyre just a small dev team or hockey is so hard to replicate.

I cant play this game for 2 minutes without saying "Wtf?". Every game is a messy cluster**** of nonsense, and part of that is because of the way 95% of people play this game, and a lot of it is because of a lack of real and worthwhile changes to the game. The AI is an absolute disaster and is one of the main contributors holding the game back, for the 7 straight year or so, they dont even know that there is a net there and they skate into it 50 times a game. I could go on all day or post videos just from the beta alone thatll make you wonder what the heck is going on, but I dont wanna sound so entitled.(thats a joke, everyone relax)
All fair points but there are people out there that will hate this game no matter what and I think his spoiled brat comment was aimed at them. This game is far from perfect and I personally would love to see better AI mainly in the neutral zone which has been non existent for years. That said, while not perfect by any stretch NHL 16 was a vast improvement over the disastrous NHL 15 and the game changer event has seen some of the ideas and wants of us gamers make it into the game. NHL 17 isn't even released and people are saying it's going to be terrible. That's idiotic. I'm sure there will be disappointments for people in various areas of the game including myself but hopefully it's a continued step in the right direction.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #60
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

I've played this game a lot the past several years, and have enjoyed it for the most part. But it sounds like maybe my biggest gripe vs the ai remains, lack of neutral zone play. For me anyway, this starts to make the gameplay kind of boring after a while.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:10 PM   #61
Rookie

OVR: 2

Hopefully (like the last 2 years) EA is working on a sizeable Day 1 patch to add and address stuff from the beta.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2016, 11:56 PM   #62
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
I've played this game a lot the past several years, and have enjoyed it for the most part. But it sounds like maybe my biggest gripe vs the ai remains, lack of neutral zone play. For me anyway, this starts to make the gameplay kind of boring after a while.
Mine has always been defensive AI in general, which is kind of exacerbated by the lack of neutral zone pressure.

Since the AI can just skate in at will, it really highlights the AI's inability to pick up open players, or cover a play.

Too many times I get burned by two guys checking the same guy, defenders standing still and leaving backdoor plays open, and more importantly defenders chasing for physical checks as opposed to using their sticks once they're in close range.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:02 AM   #63
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
Mine has always been defensive AI in general, which is kind of exacerbated by the lack of neutral zone pressure.

Since the AI can just skate in at will, it really highlights the AI's inability to pick up open players, or cover a play.

Too many times I get burned by two guys checking the same guy, defenders standing still and leaving backdoor plays open, and more importantly defenders chasing for physical checks as opposed to using their sticks once they're in close range.
I couldnt agree more. The thing is, the stuff you mentioned does happen IRL, the problem is, it happens too often in this game, and whats even more aggravating, is it happens to conveniently as well.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:58 AM   #64
#BurghProud

BurghFan's Arena

OVR: 34

I feel like I'm in the minority here when I say that I don't like that they keep adding all this things to make the franchise/BAGM more and more in depth without giving us the option to have a basic franchise. The only things I care about are playing the games, keeping track of stats, and developing players from a strictly on-ice standpoint. That is having older players retire at the end of the season and having to draft young guys and develop them in the AHL. As it is, I don't pay any attention to the GM Tracker in BAGM. In fact, the only times I've ever gone in there were either to see what exactly it was or by accident.

So basically I'm left with 2 options

1. Do a franchise that is way more in depth than anything I want and have to worry about being fired by he owner when all I want to do is play the games and have the ability to develop AHL players and eventually move them up to the NHL.

2. Do a basic season mode that just repeats the same season over and over again with no player progression/retirement and only using 1 league at a time (i.e. no bringing up young guys from the AHL.)

Steelers: IX, X, XIII, XIV, XL, XLIII
Penguins:1990/91, 1991/92, 2008/09, 20015/16, 2016/17
Pirates:1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979
Panthers (FB): 1915, 1916, 1918, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1976
Panthers (MBB): 1927/28, 1929/30

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »