Home

I want yesteryear teams!!!

This is a discussion on I want yesteryear teams!!! within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
I want yesteryear teams!!!

Like NBA 2k. Authentic old rosters

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: I want yesteryear teams!!!

From my understanding, the trouble is that, rather than being able to sign with a single large entity like the NHL or the NHLPA, the game company (in this case, EA) has to individually go to each player who's no longer in the league and sign contracts with them to use their likenesses in the game. I imagine those costs would add up pretty quick, for what's a minor (arguably niche) feature.

When games have been released that've had historic teams, they mostly consisted of generic names like "3 Center" or "4 Winger" or "1 Goalie", with an occasional player like Mike Modano who they still had the rights for sprinkled in. There might be ways EA could step around this limitation today (such as by making up fictional names for each player, maybe with the first letters of each name being the same as their real-life counterparts), but you would have to end up editing everything anyway if you wanted it to be totally authentic. And the devs probably wouldn't have the time to research old player attributes as well as they do modern ones, so players, instead of appreciating the work that was done, would just end up complaining about so-and-so's skating or faceoff ratings not being dead-on.

So, while it'd be nice to have historic rosters, given the limiting factors the devs face, I'd prefer for them to spend the time on other things, and just have the game set up so that players can make their own custom rosters to take care of this on their own.

Last edited by James Gryphon; 09-02-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gryphon
And the devs probably wouldn't have the time to research old player attributes as well as they do modern ones.
Ah, I just can't stop laughing now...
Old 09-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gryphon
From my understanding, the trouble is that, rather than being able to sign with a single large entity like the NHL or the NHLPA, the game company (in this case, EA) has to individually go to each player who's no longer in the league and sign contracts with them to use their likenesses in the game. I imagine those costs would add up pretty quick, for what's a minor (arguably niche) feature.

When games have been released that've had historic teams, they mostly consisted of generic names like "3 Center" or "4 Winger" or "1 Goalie", with an occasional player like Mike Modano who they still had the rights for sprinkled in. There might be ways EA could step around this limitation today (such as by making up fictional names for each player, maybe with the first letters of each name being the same as their real-life counterparts), but you would have to end up editing everything anyway if you wanted it to be totally authentic. And the devs probably wouldn't have the time to research old player attributes as well as they do modern ones, so players, instead of appreciating the work that was done, would just end up complaining about so-and-so's skating or faceoff ratings not being dead-on.

So, while it'd be nice to have historic rosters, given the limiting factors the devs face, I'd prefer for them to spend the time on other things, and just have the game set up so that players can make their own custom rosters to take care of this on their own.
You're correct that EA NHL needs to get the individual rights since there is no NHLPA Alumni license, but like OP mentions, NBA2k16 has the ’07-’08 Boston Celtics, ’12-’13 Miami Heat, ’00-’01 Lakers, ’03-’04 Pistons, 2000 Raptors, 2008 Rockets, ’02-’03 Mavericks, ’99-’00 Trail Blazers, ’04-’05 Phoenix Suns, ’05-’06 Miami Heat, ’06-’07 Cavs & ’03-’04 Timberwolves. This includes the players likeness and name. I think it's a year by year project to see who 2K can license and include. I'm guessing a basketball roster is easier to get than hockey due to the size difference, but it could be done.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:17 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

I'd like this as well, the problem though is that these Classic Teams will play and feel no different than the teams today.
When Toews is 94, then how do you make Gretzky or Lemieux feel much different than him?
Probably very little.

Guys like Toews should be 85 - or at the least, his offensive abilities should be mid to low 80's.

The previous Legends didn't really stand out from most modern players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2016, 01:12 AM   #6
Rookie

bradbitte's Arena

Why "the Heroes" & "Legends" in Hut are not available at least in quick mode??

It could be a starting point to customize retro teams
Old 09-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #7
Rookie

Efbomb's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensch1
Like NBA 2k. Authentic old rosters

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Well, if EA would just give us an in-game roster sharing system, you'd have a ton of old school rosters to choose from.

The only reason why it hasn't been put in years ago, in my humble opinion, is because with all the die hard roster guys out there, they'd make EA's roster guy look silly.

(I was trying to be nice with the silly part. He, whoever he is, does that all on his own with the shoddy updates that, for some stupid reason take 2+ weeks to come out.)
Old 09-07-2016, 04:27 PM   #8
Rookie

seaside24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbitte
Why "the Heroes" & "Legends" in Hut are not available at least in quick mode??

It could be a starting point to customize retro teams
agreed 100%

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »