Home

NHL 17 Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 17 Impressions within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #73
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: NHL 17 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoofrice11
Haven't played more than Demos the last few years, but was thinking of getting this year's game. I got it downloaded after midnight and tried it out a bit and had some thoughts and questions...

- You can replace teams at the start of Franchise, not just thru re-locating. That's a major Plus to me and some others!

- Create a team isn't Great with no uploading logos or pre-built teams, but I like that you can color the logos how you want and stuff.

- Controls... Is there really not a speed boost when not using the complete skill stick controls. How dumb is that. It's not like there weren't buttons that it could be.

- Under edit players, you couldn't really edit them, unless I am missing something? What if someone unknown turns into a stud this year in real life. I guess they are stuck being no good on my Franchise...

- Found this really disappointing... I created a player and in my franchise he had a black cutout for his picture. In this day and age this is pathetic that there is no generated pic for him. So all players I create will look like this instead of having photos like other players.
- I didn't get thru a draft to see if their created rookies are the same way or not...

- EA seems to struggle with stats in Franchise. Why can I not just go to league leaders in goals and stuff. I only saw that I could see that if I went to my teams stats and scrolled all the way thru to entire league. Also, I tired to click on my player after I played a game and couldn't (no seeing his season stats and stuff). On nba 2K you can see league leaders easily as well as click on each player and get his career stats.

If anyone saw this stuff differently let me know (it was 2 am when I finished).
"Hustle" is done by clicking in the L Stick while skating.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 09-08-2016, 10:42 AM   #74
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm disappointed you can't alter the World Cup rosters, It would have been fun to change the rosters a bit.

In my limited play through the game seems smoother and more fluid then previous versions.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #75
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

I'm at work, can anyone answer these?

One, can we adjust team strats in main menu this year for each team? Or do we still have to just play a season and control all 30 teams to adjust those?

How many presets can we save with the sliders?
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #76
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
"Hustle" is done by clicking in the L Stick while skating.

I really wish they'd bring back the push puck feature. I don't understand why it was removed.

On that note, has anyone been able to relocate a team to see if they change to the right division? Moving a team from Florida to Seattle and being in the Atlantic is going to be really annoying.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:24 AM   #77
Banned

lions67's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslieber
Thank you all for the time to document your observations (from yet another Rangers fan on this board). The Zuc/Kreider comparison makes sense to me.

Most of all, I'm hoping for a game I can play offline, that has some variety to gameplay, strategy, and experience.

I played NHL 16 near exclusively in EASHL drop in, and my wife was going to hide my controller if I vented anymore at the poor team defense/childish antics of my would be colleagues (as I play Left D). It would be wonderful to have an semi/offline mode (like NBA Live) I can sink my teeth into.

Oh, and shameless plug pre-launch for PS4 EASHL peeps looking for a 2-way Left D. Think Ryan McDonough style. PSN: OrngeAlum

Thanks again everyone!
You should try LG. Best place to play proper, organized 6v6 league.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #78
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

can anyone tell me if you can add/change jerseys from year to year in franchise? Adding is more important than changing to me, but both would be cool. I poured over the forums but couldn't find an answer.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #79
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
I like the player movements better. My player under my control, felt more like he was actually skating, on ice, and had weight to him. Took a while to accelerate, couldn't change directions on a dime, it felt good. However, the CPU players, I can't say the same for them unfortunately. The AI seems to want to have one player just chase the puck carrier. The same physics that seem to apply to your skater, magically don't apply to the CPU player giving chase. They cut and turn on a dime, with no apparent loss of speed. Very disappointing to see this still. Madden CPU players though seem to have the same abilities when giving chase. It's really the main issue I have with EA's AI. The human players movements feel and look good, but if you outsmart the CPU, the same physics just don't seem to apply. IMO, it's always been a big issue in this series.
Very disappointing to read.
This is the one thing holding me back from buying the game. And it's the one thing that has prevented me from buying it at full price for about 4 years now.

I have it pre-ordered via Amazon and 20% off due to an E3 special.
But I'm considering cancelling it unless anyone here can dispute what Brandon is saying.
I don't think he's mistaken though, as this issue has plagued the NHL series for about a decade now.
What drives me nuts is that the developers are fully aware of this problem. It's not even a "problem" as they purposely program it into the game to make up for an unintelligent CPU.
How else can the game be competitive unless the CPU is given cheats?
Very disappointing.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #80
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Very disappointing to read.
This is the one thing holding me back from buying the game. And it's the one thing that has prevented me from buying it at full price for about 4 years now.

I have it pre-ordered via Amazon and 20% off due to an E3 special.
But I'm considering cancelling it unless anyone here can dispute what Brandon is saying.
I don't think he's mistaken though, as this issue has plagued the NHL series for about a decade now.
What drives me nuts is that the developers are fully aware of this problem. It's not even a "problem" as they purposely program it into the game to make up for an unintelligent CPU.
How else can the game be competitive unless the CPU is given cheats?
Very disappointing.
I'll dispute it. On default Full Sim the CPU doesn't use their Hustle as much and it allows them to be much more disciplined when skating where as human controlled defenders tend to rush towards the puck instead of positioning (not saying Brandon did this in this case, just what I've seen in H2H over the years).

I have not seen a CPU speed boost. The only CPU issue I've seen is them getting puck control a little too quickly after stick lifts (which is more me not taking the puck away Quick enough).

I'm streaming ONLY vs CPU tonight on the OS stream so I'll show it off.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »