Home

NHL 17 Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 17 Impressions within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #81
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: NHL 17 Impressions

Just so people know, there is still a Day 1 patch to be released tomorrow (maybe even today). Game Informer posted in this article that they are waiting for the patch to finish the review, so EA must be doing something with it.

Quote:
What's the hold-up, you ask? EA Sports is dropping an extensive patch tomorrow that makes changes to several game modes, and we want to take these changes into consideration for the review.
Quote:
On the ice, the the shooting, passing, and checking control well enough, but we've seen countless problems in all areas of the ice due to poor puck awareness, awkward positioning, and players' inability to pick up a puck at their feet. This last point is one the patch hopes to address, so we'll take the tweaks into consideration.
Odd how it wasn't out for yesterday or even today. Hopefully the patch addresses the beta feedback as I've asked on Twitter a couple times and of course they never respond.

Last edited by Elite49; 09-08-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2016, 12:02 PM   #82
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Very disappointing to read.
This is the one thing holding me back from buying the game. And it's the one thing that has prevented me from buying it at full price for about 4 years now.

I have it pre-ordered via Amazon and 20% off due to an E3 special.
But I'm considering cancelling it unless anyone here can dispute what Brandon is saying.
I don't think he's mistaken though, as this issue has plagued the NHL series for about a decade now.
What drives me nuts is that the developers are fully aware of this problem. It's not even a "problem" as they purposely program it into the game to make up for an unintelligent CPU.
How else can the game be competitive unless the CPU is given cheats?
Very disappointing.
Plus, there are sliders to control literally everything and almost every situation. It's been put in our hand for the most part. This is the year to buy on day one. I haven't been excited about this game in years, but I'm seeing things happen in games that I've never seen before. Yeah, if you play on sliders similar to how most ea games have felt, its gonna be boring. If you take advantage of the options to muck the gameplay up, you'll see for yourself...
Old 09-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #83
Rookie

il_tedesco's Arena

OVR: 0

Now I played my 2nd game. The first game i played on pro. This time on All-Star, 10 min, full sim (dropped shot accuracy sliders 7 points and pass reception control to 15). And wow, what a difference. It felt very very good. 3-2 loss. 28-32 shots. CPU got 3 minor penalties and dumbed the puck pretty often.

Felt much more realistic than on pro.

Did anyone already relocated a franchise? Right now there aren't very good logos, besides the Nordiques one Is there any sharing feature like 2k? Or uploading feature? Besides that, i like the gm mode. i put the coyotes to portland. creation of the arena and jerseys is nothing special but its fine.

I preorderd the game after the 2nd game and testing gm mode. First time since years i've done that with a NHL Game.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #84
Rookie

mnsportsguy47's Arena

With all the new modes, sliders & gameplay, I am just disappointed that you
can't set and save teams strategies in play now mode, I believe it should be in the customize page. Plus I have played 5 games with the Sabres and have yet to hear Jack Eichels name....I hope they can or will patch in the team strategies and more play-by-play personalization as it sounds exactly like last years.....
Old 09-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #85
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

Since there isn't a Q&A thread yet, can someone tell me if Anton Rodin is on the Canucks or Utica Comets and what his overall is?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #86
D*lph*ns m*k* m* cry

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsportsguy47
With all the new modes, sliders & gameplay, I am just disappointed that you
can't set and save teams strategies in play now mode, I believe it should be in the customize page. Plus I have played 5 games with the Sabres and have yet to hear Jack Eichels name....I hope they can or will patch in the team strategies and more play-by-play personalization as it sounds exactly like last years.....
I know. Eichel was only the second pick. I also did not hear his name. What the hell?

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #87
Banned

Actually Nhl 17 is probably the very 1st sport videogame in their whole catalogue, where you can stop ai from cheating pretty easily and effectively.

Devs even simulate human- like behavior. Good example (and very needed one) is that now ai have to "charge" long/fast pass, just like you have to. Gone are the days when ai cheat you with 2-3 blind rocket tape 2 tape passes.

Well, its not 100% perfect, but we're getting there.

As I said you before, sliders in this game is hidden diamond. For me and I believe many of us, its the biggest gameplay feature from skill stick in 07, skating in 13 and puck in 15.

I just wish EA pr team was little brighter about this and push/sell this more. Cuz honestly with default settings Nhl 17 LOOKS pretty much identical to 15.

Which is problem in these Youtube times... look ar the latest Gamespot's review and Im afraid another will follow.

The sliders saved the franchise for me this time, but you cant tweak the game forever, its time to ADD stuff to really improve!
Old 09-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #88
Rookie

I can't remember where I read it, but I saw an interview with one of the devs a few weeks ago regarding overall ratings. From what I remember he said that the players in each league all have ratings that only cover a small range of values because the way that they do it every league falls within a range on a 100 point scale. For example NHL players 100-80's, AHL 80-70's, Juniors 70-60's etc. What if they made each league independent of one anthers ratings? Each league would have a 0-100 overall rating possible. It might be a little confusing at first, but that might allow more diversity as far as 4th line and 1st line guys. For instance a high 80's AHL player would be a low 70's NHL player or something like that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »