Home

NHL 17 Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 17 Impressions within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #217
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: NHL 17 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
It doesn't look like I was moved to a new division.
This is why I'm wondering if interest in my relocated club is predicated on current location, just so there aren't any misfit timezone teams mashed together.

I'll investigate tonight.
That was my suspicion. That city interest will be related to whether it's a same-ish geographical region for divisional logic purposes—rather than programming realignment in.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #218
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

I have video of my entire first game coming (putting it together with Sharefactory now, and then need to upload to Youtube, hopefully starting that before I leave for work). It was on the default Full Sim setting for All-Star, 10 minute periods - I changed nothing. It's almost an hour long.

Will spoiler tag for anyone who wants to watch without knowing what happens.

Spoiler

For it being EA's interpretation of "Full Sim", that was a pretty damn good game of hockey. A few things to keep an eye on for a greater sample size, but it was definitely fun.

Last edited by bcruise; 09-13-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #219
MVP

Gerg04's Arena

OVR: 5

I've never felt like I've been on a roller coaster in regards to the way a game plays more than this game.

There's literally been 4 different versions of this game since (including) the beta.

-Beta
-EA Access release
-EA Access release + patch
-Day 1 patch

And each build has played differently. Beta was great, tons of tweaks, really separated itself for 16'. Then EA Access came, totally different game like they started from scratch. 1st patch brought back some of the tweaks and the game played good again. Day 1 patch, boom, changes out the window. Its like I'm playing 16' again with the exploits of 15'.

Disclosure, I'm 90% an online vs player, 10% EASHL, so if CPU play with sliders is good more power to you guys who strictly play offline, and I HOPE it is good! But online is back to the same glitchy mess it used to be.

I'm sorely disappointed. The AI is SO putrid its disgusting. Not only defensively, but offensively! I've never played an EA NHL game where my offensive AI skates either into the puck carrier or completely away from the logical spot. 17' it happens on a game by game basis. And when the AI just watches loose pucks....I can't describe the frustration.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gerg04; 09-13-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #220
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg04
I've never felt like I've been on a roller coaster in regards to the way a game plays more than this game.

There's literally been 4 different versions of this game since (including) the beta.

-Beta
-EA Access release
-EA Access release + patch
-Day 1 patch

And each build has played differently. Beta was great, tons of tweaks, really separated itself for 16' The EA Access came, totally different game like they started from scratch. 1st patch brought back some of the tweaks and the game played good again. Day 1 patch, boom, changes out the window. Its like I'm playing 16' again with the exploits of 15'.

Disclosure I'm mainly online vs, so of CPU play with sliders is good more power to you guys, and I hope it is good!

I'm sorely disappointed. The AI is SO putrid its disgusting. Not only defensively, but offensively! I've never played an EA NHL game where my offensive AI skates either into the puck carrier or completely away from the logical spot. 17' it happens on a game by game basis. And when the AI just watches loose pucks....I can't describe the frustration.

Bizarre...I'm experiencing the complete opposite. My AI teammates actually play smart and the CPU AI plays pretty solid D. Night and day from NHL 16. I say bizarre because I've seen numerous posts like mine and also like yours. I don't doubt you one bit and I don't doubt my observations. Wonder why some are getting one impression and others the opposite. Odd
Old 09-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #221
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Video to accompany the above post will show up here when it's finished uploading/processing (will be an hour or more from the time I post this).

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #222
MVP

Gerg04's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
Bizarre...I'm experiencing the complete opposite. My AI teammates actually play smart and the CPU AI plays pretty solid D. Night and day from NHL 16. I say bizarre because I've seen numerous posts like mine and also like yours. I don't doubt you one bit and I don't doubt my observations. Wonder why some are getting one impression and others the opposite. Odd
Are you playing online vs? And I am in no way discounting your enjoyment or impressions, I'm glad you like the game.

I've tried slowing my play down to extreme measures. I do a really good job not switching players and pulling players out of position, but I've taken it a step further to make extra sure, and this last game i played was a little better.

The AI D cannot stop the cross-crease pass. 16' did great at stopping both the chances and the one timers. Skating straight at the goalie and shooting across the body goes WAY too often again, which was also fixed in 16. AI teammates stare at or literally skate away from loose pucks.

After playing the beta I was sold. Sold that this was going to be the best iteration of the series, I was so excited for some fresh gameplay. Where are the bouncing, uncontrollable pucks? Where are the changes made to the gameplay when you were in the offensive zone against the blue line? It was literally a game changer IMO and a change that's been needed for years... And now gone! Completely gone like they never even changed it.

Idk, I really hate bitching like this about a game I love, I just can't figure out exactly what this game is...maybe its time to change to offline franchise?

Last edited by Gerg04; 09-13-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:40 PM   #223
Rookie

Vmascarello's Arena

OVR: 0

I personally have enjoyed the whole relocation process and think EA did a good job on it as a whole. The only thing they missed was realignment in the divisions. Which should come next year based on what they have said in some of the Q & A's Ive seen.

Once youre in your new city, there are no annoying differences between a regular NHL team and the team you create. The arena looks great and the announcers make it seem like its a pretty seemless transition. I was concerned that there wouldnt be enough nicknames or the play by play wouldnt say the new city or nickname. But its all very much on point.

It even highlighted in the broadcast that is was the 1st home game since relocation which was cool. The fans have signs stating things that have to do with having a new team in town and some authentic comments. I just hope those arent still there in like Year 4.

Theres enough variety and customization where I have to stop myself from wanting to go back through the whole process again. I moved the Blue Jackets to Hartford and re-created the Whalers, and you really feel like thats the Whalers of old if you customize it correctly.

I also think the colors are much more vibrant this year and make a big difference in the beauty of the game.

And I cant say enough about FINALLY having season goal totals displayed when a player scores in Franchise mode. A small thing in the grand scheme but absolutely enormous for immersion.

Last edited by Vmascarello; 09-13-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:06 PM   #224
Rookie

OVR: 1

For someone who hasn't played a NHL game in 5 or 6 years and is in his 30s, how is the learning curve?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »