Home

NHL 17 Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 17 Impressions within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2016, 08:11 AM   #425
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: NHL 17 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I've expected many things to change in this series over the past 10 years. Mainly the fact the CPU can and will do things I can't, or my CPU teammates won't.

Will sliders fix that? I have no idea and I don't have oodles of time, as you seem to have, to see if it will.
I have 2, maybe 3 hours a week to play video games. I don't want to spend the majority of that experimenting with sliders to figure it out.
I'm very happy EA has included these sliders, but what I'd like for them to do, is remove the obvious boosts and cheats the CPU has from their default settings.
They've been in there for years and I don't see that changing.

Sorry if I offended or grated on your nerves for not liking a game that you do.
I guess you'll have to get over it.
All Ive wanted these past 10 years for franchise is highlites of out of town games, and the ability to view boxscores of all previous games played in the season; for all teams.
None of this has happened. Im so disappointed about that. Also thought we'd see so better goalies, with their play styles different in gameplay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2016, 08:15 AM   #426
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
All Ive wanted these past 10 years for franchise is highlites of out of town games, and the ability to view boxscores of all previous games played in the season; for all teams.
None of this has happened. Im so disappointed about that. Also thought we'd see so better goalies, with their play styles different in gameplay.
I hear ya.
I've wanted out-of-town highlights for a long time as well. NHL 94 had them for cripes sake.

NHL 17 does some things very well, but a lot of the legacy issues continue to plague the series.
Presentation, with deep Franchise immersion is also something that needs a serious upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Hey Money, check out my sliders. They are not as sloppy as a few other sets out, which those are very good, but mine stick to a scale of 0/12/25/37/50/62/75/87/100. That way slideritus don't get to bad. Then make some tweaks.
Thanks! I'll definitely check out your sliders this weekend.
I'm still leaning towards selling the game, but I'll give your set a shot and see if it works.

I'm at the age now where I just want to plop down, fire a game up and have fun.
It's why I'm thinking of flipping NHL 17 for the new Tomb Raider game coming in October.
I don't have the or energy to play Good Will Hunting with sliders all year.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:21 PM   #427
MVP

OVR: 6

went ahead and bought this due to everyone's offline recommendations here - thank you.

initial impressions -

Downloaded latest tuner set and did a Play now game. I did not like it. It was very slow and boring. Then I started a franchise and the game played so different. It was so much more fast paced, a lot more challenging, and I had difficulty to score. I really liked it.

Is it me or does franchise play better than play now? Is the tuner different in franchise? I am having a hard time scoring but I like that. It will come with time.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:53 PM   #428
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinth1
went ahead and bought this due to everyone's offline recommendations here - thank you.

initial impressions -

Downloaded latest tuner set and did a Play now game. I did not like it. It was very slow and boring. Then I started a franchise and the game played so different. It was so much more fast paced, a lot more challenging, and I had difficulty to score. I really liked it.

Is it me or does franchise play better than play now? Is the tuner different in franchise? I am having a hard time scoring but I like that. It will come with time.
its not you. the game does this from time to time. Nobody is sure why. One game plays like your on speed 5, then a couple games later seems like someone changed the speed to 1. I wish EA would tell us why this has happened in every EA game since the sega genesis days
Old 09-30-2016, 03:04 PM   #429
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
I've expected many things to change in this series over the past 10 years. Mainly the fact the CPU can and will do things I can't, or my CPU teammates won't.

Will sliders fix that? I have no idea and I don't have oodles of time, as you seem to have, to see if it will.
I have 2, maybe 3 hours a week to play video games. I don't want to spend the majority of that experimenting with sliders to figure it out.
I'm very happy EA has included these sliders, but what I'd like for them to do, is remove the obvious boosts and cheats the CPU has from their default settings.

Whatever, man. You can't punch in (takes what? 3-5 minutes) slider sets where people have had solid positive results and they've taken all the work out of it for you, but you have time to get on here and complain about the things you don't like ad nauseum? I get it.

I and many many others are having a blast with none of the issues you are harping about, if you don't want to take the minimal effort to fix this but are willing to play a game that frustrates you and then dump on it on an online forum, well...whatever then.

And no, I'm not offended...just bothered and somewhat worn out with people who wish to complain while not looking into solutions. I and others take the time to find sliders for ourselves first, and secondly; we do it for the community, to point them in the right direction either A. because they too don't have the time and B. because they may not know where to start. Additionally, we just want them to be happy so we pay it forward. So yeah, if I didn't contribute to the community like I do, then really I'd have no grounds to be annoyed--but I do. A lot, actually.

Why this is so difficult to understand, I'll never know. Such is life these days...
Old 09-30-2016, 03:05 PM   #430
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:

Honestly, I've never seen the cheating and comeback AI that people frequently mention. It's always seemed to be a case of people seeing what they're looking for.

That said, the AI is far from perfect, and they do make tons of stupid mistakes that sliders won't fix. I don't think the AI easily scooping pucks while humans struggle is cheating, or any planned boost for the AI, I think it's just the AI function while working with the computer, compared to human players trying to play in an AI world. The AI detects the puck based on code, the human is trying to navigate their pixels to the puck's pixels, with no idea how the backstage workings go.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:11 PM   #431
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
Whatever, man. You can't punch in (takes what? 3-5 minutes) slider sets where people have had solid positive results and they've taken all the work out of it for you, but you have time to get on here and complain about the things you don't like ad nauseum? I get it.

I and many many others are having a blast with none of the issues you are harping about, if you don't want to take the minimal effort to fix this but are willing to play a game that frustrates you and then dump on it on an online forum, well...whatever then.

And no, I'm not offended...just bothered and somewhat worn out with people who wish to complain while not looking into solutions. I and others take the time to find sliders for ourselves first, and secondly; we do it for the community, to point them in the right direction either A. because they too don't have the time and B. because they may not know where to start. Additionally, we just want them to be happy so we pay it forward. So yeah, if I didn't contribute to the community like I do, then really I'd have no grounds to be annoyed--but I do. A lot, actually.

Why this is so difficult to understand, I'll never know. Such is life these days...
Just like I'll never understand why someone would care so much about someone else not sharing the same opinion.
You like the game? Having fun? Great! Who cares what I, or anyone else has to say?
Continue liking the game. It's not like I'm insulting your family or something of actual value.

BTW, this is the IMPRESSIONS thread. That's what I'm providing. This isn't the "RAINBOW UNICORN SMILES THREAD" where every impression has to make you feel like puppies are hugging Tinkerbell.

And I don't think I've been overly negative. I've stated things I liked, and others I don't. And most of what I don't like has been stuck in this series for a long, long time.

I just don't get how my negative comments can affect your enjoyment of the game.
My kids don't like steak. Guess what? I still eat it.

P.S. Check my timestamps of when I post. They're during the work day, not when I'm at home, when I have very little time to game or to do much else.
I guess I don't work beside a PS4 like you so I can fiddle with sliders all day.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #432
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
Honestly, I've never seen the cheating and comeback AI that people frequently mention. It's always seemed to be a case of people seeing what they're looking for.

That said, the AI is far from perfect, and they do make tons of stupid mistakes that sliders won't fix. I don't think the AI easily scooping pucks while humans struggle is cheating, or any planned boost for the AI, I think it's just the AI function while working with the computer, compared to human players trying to play in an AI world. The AI detects the puck based on code, the human is trying to navigate their pixels to the puck's pixels, with no idea how the backstage workings go.
I watched this BaconCountry guy post a YouTube video the other day where he gave his subscribers a choice between wanting him to post a video of either him giving game tips, or a video of him in his words 'b##ching' about how he lost in an online vs. match. The overwhelming response by his audience was the latter.

So he did...and it was a sad scene. Basically, he was matched up against another guy who played very good sim hockey and beat him fair and square with good hockey plays. Every little thing that didn't go his way was somehow the games fault. Every. Little. Thingahhhh. He was fuming mad that when the opponent scored on a cross crease play where the pass had gone between the defensemans legs and more upset where he later didn't have the same fortune.

These days people just seem to lean towards complaining. That's something I need to learn to accept.

There are no perfect games. Especially sports games. Honestly, there probably never will be. But if you look back at what we used to play and see where we are now, its brilliant. NHL 17 offline is a masterpiece. There are things that I'd like to see enhanced or changed, but that will always be the case.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »