Home

NHL 17 Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 17 Impressions within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #601
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 17 Impressions

I'm still having great games with solid stats in my single season modes but I just went back and played a draft champions game and see online is still unplayable and now everyone has learned to just coming over the line because if it gets through your Swiss cheese goalie will let it in 60% of the time. Also a bug in offline mode. When I go to a shootout the CPU player gets the whistle blown before he reaches the goalie and shoots. Not every time but at least once or twice per shootout and I don't see that they did anything wrong. Oh well I guess at this stage there will be no more patches
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #602
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I saw that and immediately thought "If that happened in NHL17, I would throw my controller..."
Old 01-09-2017, 10:49 AM   #603
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
I saw that and immediately thought "If that happened in NHL17, I would throw my controller..."
HAHA.. me too! First thing I thought of!

FWIW.. I haven't seen any goofy deflection goals in quite some time.. (fingers crossed) but if I do see an odd one.. I guess I'll have to think of this goal by Berglund.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #604
MVP

actionhank's Arena

Quote:
HAHA.. me too! First thing I thought of!

FWIW.. I haven't seen any goofy deflection goals in quite some time.. (fingers crossed) but if I do see an odd one.. I guess I'll have to think of this goal by Berglund.
I was actually thinking that the other day. I remember watching some of OBG's videos, and being a bit concerned with the odd-angle deflections. But, using his sliders I've had pretty good luck.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #605
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
I was actually thinking that the other day. I remember watching some of OBG's videos, and being a bit concerned with the odd-angle deflections. But, using his sliders I've had pretty good luck.
I jinxed myself.. not deflection goals.. but one through a pad that was on the ice, you could even see the puck go right though the goalies pads on the replay.. and it was me scoring from the blue line.. yuck!

I definitely have a love hate relationship with NHL 17. I can have games that leave me feeling like I just played a real NHL game, then I have a game where I shut the xbone off right in the middle due to some really scripted feeling game play.

NHL 16 wasn't perfect, but I never had fits of rage like I do with NHL 17.

Time to take a break.. I've been thinking about purchasing Franchise Hockey Manager 3.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2017, 07:54 AM   #606
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

I wish I knew what I did to have played over 30 NHL 17 season mode games and not have any of the bad and frustrating things happen that are happening to you guys. If I knew I would share it with you. That said I'm always waiting for those things to happen and hope it doesn't.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #607
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
I wish I knew what I did to have played over 30 NHL 17 season mode games and not have any of the bad and frustrating things happen that are happening to you guys. If I knew I would share it with you. That said I'm always waiting for those things to happen and hope it doesn't.
That is great to hear, there are special moments with this game for sure!

I've played 50 games in my current season and have enjoyed most of them. It's those games every now and then that get me frustrated.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #608
MVP

actionhank's Arena

Quote:
I jinxed myself.. not deflection goals.. but one through a pad that was on the ice, you could even see the puck go right though the goalies pads on the replay.. and it was me scoring from the blue line.. yuck!

I definitely have a love hate relationship with NHL 17. I can have games that leave me feeling like I just played a real NHL game, then I have a game where I shut the xbone off right in the middle due to some really scripted feeling game play.

NHL 16 wasn't perfect, but I never had fits of rage like I do with NHL 17.

Time to take a break.. I've been thinking about purchasing Franchise Hockey Manager 3.
Yeah, same here. One thing that's always frustrated me is that you rarely get those goals from guys like Tarasenko, Ovechkin, Kessel, etc. that are just clean shots that beat the goalie. To get those types of goals, you end up with 6-5 games because everyone can score like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
I hesitate to say they're necessarily...bad. There's just frustrating issues that likely come from it being AI in a very complex and messy game like hockey. There aren't really any other sports that are as confined and flowing as hockey, so I imagine the AI is tough to program.

Stuff like your defenders moving away from your goalie is only really frustrating, because you can't really get them to go back in towards the net. In real life, that puck hits the goalies pads, and as soon as it dies on the ice, those defenders are crashing in there to clear anyone away. In EA's game I see my defenders often just start to slide away from the net like they're trying to get open for a pass.

Stuff like that, and the AI defenders just getting lost and leaving the front of the net are frustrating, but hardly deal breaking. Their stopping to catch passes is what drives me the most insane.

Last edited by actionhank; 01-10-2017 at 01:08 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »