Home

NHL 17: Quick Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 17: Quick Impressions within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2016, 12:56 AM   #41
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NHL 17: Quick Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikesburgh
I play a ton of offline but I'm actually with you. I could care less about presentation. What I care the most about is gameplay, and realistic stats. Everything else, who cares? I also find muting the announcers helps me play better. I like hearing the crowd, and the on ice sounds. Here's the thing about presentation...you can get the most authentic, crazy Doc "HE SCORESSSSSSS" call in the world, but once you've heard it a couple times, it's just background noise. Whereas, playing the game, every time you take the puck up the ice, it's always a bit different. Sure you can repeat a certain move often, but those are usually glitches. I prefer to play hockey like a real hockey game. Board battles, shot blocks, deflections, poke checks, net battles, rebounds, and the whole nine yards. If EA doesn't touch the graphics or presentation for the next 5 years and just focused on the gameplay the gameplay would be unbelievably awesome.

Hell, just look at the popularity of GTA. One new game every half decade, the up close facial graphics aren't all that great, yet people LOVE it. Why? THE GAMEPLAY.
I like game play also. I want sports games to replicate the actual sport as closely as possible. However, being able to see and hear the announcers say how many goals a player has scored in the season right after he scores a goal is super huge presentation that I am totally glad EA did not wait an additional 5 years to include. Just so you know, the crowd both visually and in sound as well as the on ice sounds are presentation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #42
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevostl
I agree. The first thing I do before I start playing EASHL which is the only mode I will ever play in the game is go straight to presentation and sounds and turn the announcers volume on mute. This is a must for me as it's easier to focus on the game with hearing the sounds on the ice better when playing in the EASHL.
I go with no announcers as well for EASHL. I'd rather listen to my teammates tell me they were open after I shoot.

I'd like to see them really strip down the presentation for EASHL games. Get rid of cutscenes, limit replays, just keep it moving so it doesn't feel disjointed like it does now when most everything is cut short once everyone skips. Maybe use the loading screen to display team info/player stats (maybe show the players like Madden's lineup overlay?), ditch the pre-game intro, and roll period highlights during the 30 second intermission and keep the replays during the game brief and limited.

Again, I'm talking strictly for OTP/EASHL. I'm all for the bells & whistles when playing offline.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #43
Pro

stevostl's Arena

OVR: 0

yeah all sounds good QB

and I would like them to add practice rink option in the dressing room so your team can practice together if you want

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »