Home

The NHL17 Goalie Tips Thread

This is a discussion on The NHL17 Goalie Tips Thread within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2016, 07:10 PM   #17
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The NHL17 Goalie Tips Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevostl
I like the Ice cam for goalie followed by High and then fixed. fixed is good camera but I'm just not as good on it for some reason

I'm best with ice or High
I used fixed but the key factors for me are the ability to see as much ice as possible while being comfortable in reading my angles (knowing I have shortside/farside covered at all times). Fixed still needs work with camera rotations by the halfboards.

P.S. OP has been updated with breakaway tips!

Last edited by jmoney2436; 10-04-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:06 PM   #18
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

Added tips for Deflections! EVERYBODY hates them so enjoy . Feel free to ask whatever questions you have I'll do my best to answer them and even make a vid if possible.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:59 AM   #19
Rookie

This is great, I am off to but 17 in the morning and am determined to teach my self to be a Goalie, played as a C in 16 and have 0% experience, this is for Be a Pro
Old 11-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #20
Rookie

Northernwolf's Arena

Playing be a pro goalie with the new tuner update.
Did one attempt already (with the update), but I started in the NHL and got trashed so hard I am back to the drawing board.
Will start my last year in WHL (CHL) this time around.

First off: Is there any sliders I should edit before I go any further?
I want to have a realistic shot total.

Second: Is there any type of goalie that is easier to play with than the other? I tested a Hybrid, I am considering Stand-up this time.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:02 PM   #21
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernwolf
Playing be a pro goalie with the new tuner update.
Did one attempt already (with the update), but I started in the NHL and got trashed so hard I am back to the drawing board.
Will start my last year in WHL (CHL) this time around.

First off: Is there any sliders I should edit before I go any further?
I want to have a realistic shot total.

Second: Is there any type of goalie that is easier to play with than the other? I tested a Hybrid, I am considering Stand-up this time.
I don't mess with the sliders. If there's anything I would change its whatever makes the computer do less dump and chase. That should allow for more shots as they dump even when they have a clear path in the zone leading to unnecessary turnovers and it wastes time that could be spent shooting. The easiest thing to do to face more shots is raise the game to 5-6 minutes quarters.

As for goalie types. They are all the same. There is no noticeable difference between butterfly/hybrid/stand-up and its something EA will need to work on in future games. Attributes don't mean much for goalies. Its why a 60s/low 70s goalie in BAP can still dominate in the NHL in Be A Pro if you have good positioning.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2016, 04:59 AM   #22
Rookie

Northernwolf's Arena

Thanks! I aprreciate the help.

I started a new BAP goalie, stand-up type in WHL. You are right, no real difference, aside from the WHL being a bit easier than NHL.

My best way to get shots on goal is to create "fake" open areas in the goal, so the AI thinks it will have an easy shot. Then I move towards the open spot and nab the shot with my glove.

I will test out 5-6 minute long periods.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #23
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

Next video will be done soon. It will be on one of the toughest aspects of playing goalie and can really jump your skill if you can master this part of the position........

Knowing how AND WHEN to hold the posts.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:51 PM   #24
Rookie

Looking forward to it

Is it possible to have shut out games? I started in the bigs and am getting creamed so I think I will start over and work my way up this time so by the time I go up I should understand what is going on more and havebetter skills

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »