Home

How's your Franchise Mode Going?

This is a discussion on How's your Franchise Mode Going? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 03-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #241
Rookie

Orrad's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How's your Franchise Mode Going?

Disgruntled Employee - San Jose Sharks GM Mode

After the latest roster update, I decided to do another GM Mode with the San Jose Sharks. The only change I made in year one was to sign Chris Higgins and Dainius Zubrus for depth (mainly so the rookies got more time playing in the AHL). Well we made it all the way to the finals and beat Tampa Bay in game 5 for the cup. Brent Burns won both the Norris and Conn Smythe.

Right before the draft, Joe Thornton and Dainius Zubrus retire. I have an ok draft, and resign all the players I need to. Going into year two, I have about 5M in cap space (I was able to resign Patrick Marleau for one year at 5M, Melker Karlsson did not want what I was offering, so he left). At this point everyone seems happy, I sign some players to boost my AHL squad (honest minor league players). I sim to the start of the season (past the pre-season). Assign players to their respective leagues, and all of a sudden, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Brenden Dillion and Joel Ward are pissed. Dudes! We just won the CUP! You should still be on a high!

I trade Vlasic to Arizona for Oliver Ekman-Larsson (they wanted to get rid of him, he was apparently disgruntled there) and Dillion for Luke Schenn (again, same deal, he was disgruntled as well). I had to add in a draft pick for it to go though. Arizona ended up dead last in season one, and had the first and second overall picks in the draft. They took Nolan Patrick and Maxime Comtois 1st and 2nd respectively.

Vlasic and Dillion would rather be moved from the best team in the NHL to the worst! Maybe they missed Thornton? I know Dillion was listed as a top 4 defenseman, and I was playing him on the bottom line. I was playing Vlasic with Burns on the top line (speaking of Burns, he jumped up to a 94 overall). Maybe they were unhappy that Melker did not re-sign. I cannot remember what I did with Ward. ;-)

After simulating the first month of season two, I checked in with Vlasic and Dillion. Vlasic went from a disgruntled 85 overall to a happy 91, Dillion went from a disgruntled 81 to a happy 84 (where he was when I started). Ekman-Larsson is sitting at a 90 and Schenn is an 83. Arizona is still losing more than they are winning (last in the pacific) while the Sharks are 1 point behind Edmonton. Go figure!

Last edited by Orrad; 04-04-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #242
Rookie

Hey guys, could anyone help me? I SIMULATE Franchise mode mostly. I might jump in and play the 3rd period like 5-8 times a season. I mostly sim it all.

Messing witht he sliders doesn't change the simulation does it? I maxed out some sliders and messed aroudn and the scoring is still normal.

I kinda wanted to tinker with it a little bit but the sliders only affect "actual gameplay" from what I can tell.

Am I missing something here? Or is this accurate? Sliders only affect if you actually play the games?

Thanks
Old 03-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #243
Rookie

Orrad's Arena

That is a question for the ages. I personally think some of the sliders are BS. For example I set elbowing to a 5 out of 100, and ended up with 3 elbowing penalties in one game!
Old 03-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #244
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrad
That is a question for the ages. I personally think some of the sliders are BS. For example I set elbowing to a 5 out of 100, and ended up with 3 elbowing penalties in one game!
I feel like something in the new tuner has changed some things with penalties. The same set I had before that was giving me some nice steady penalties has just gone insane.

In the first period the other night I had 25 penalty minutes. A handful of 2 min penalties (most elbowing or crosschecking, which annoyingly can't be helped) and then one major for boarding on a hit from the side.

It's frustrating enough that tripping happens so often because I can't control the poke check, but when I have 25 penalty minutes happen in a 20 minute period, and can't control how they're happening, or more infuriatingly, who subs in for the players when they get a penalty...it just gets annoying.

Pietrangelo was maybe the 3rd guy to take one, and Reaves ended up subbing in on the point for defense, despite Bortuzzo being on the bench, with Edmundson, Gunnarsson and Aho who I moved to my team from Sweden.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #245
Pro

81 games played and heading for the playoffs.
103 pts with my Coyotes,have made my game play very competitive for myself,so the the last 10-5 games have been tough,wins mostly but tough.
Looks like I'm playing WPG,which is kinda messed up,might go with the old jets jerseys for that

Haven't had this much fun since the early days of the NHL series,the only mishap is the choice of team,should have gone with Carolina,so I could have relocated them to Quebeq in a season or two.
Great game this,if tuned and set up right

Xbox :ettnollbajen
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #246
Rookie

Zobitembois's Arena

OVR: 2

I finally started my first franchise mode in NHL 17 last week.

I'm playing with the Devils and using Altito's slider set and I must say I'm having a blast.

Couple of cool things I saw yet :

- Nick Lappin warming up al alone for his 1st nhl game

- Lappin having his first nhl goal and a teammate gives the puck to one of the trainers (had it for Zacha, and Hegelson too)

- Elias scoring a goal putting him just past Ray Ferraro carreer goal total. Special overlay and commentary.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:32 PM   #247
Just started!

Hey GM's

So, i'm looking for some advice here guys. I'm looking to start a long and newish franchise mode. I personally enjoy destroying teams, trading almost everything or everything away and starting with the guys that I want.

However, I've done this probably so often with the bottom tier teams that I am looking for a new challenge. As a Leafs fan, I won't touch certain teams due to principal, and have already relocated and done franchises like that.

So i'm looking for some honest opinions and thoughts as to what to do!
Heres what i've done so far/my thoughts on teams. I'm looking for a team that is decent then drop off so I can trade away what they have then rebuild it my way.

Ducks - No thoughts but they are a good squad
Yotes - Moved/Rebuild/Board of them honestly
Bruins - Never touch, go Leafs go
Sabers - Haven't considered because to many young pieces already
Flames - See Sabers
Canes - See Yotes
Blackhawks - Love and respect that team too much to destroy
Aves - Rebuild too often, bored of them by now
Jackets - Haven't touched, they have a good squad + young prospects
Stars - I find too easy with what they have at this time
Wings - See Bruins
Oil - Could do and build around McJesus, but seems too easy
Panthers - Never played, considering relocating them if I do
Kings - Cap hell, considering fixing however I could
Wild - Team relatively stacked
Habs - Never in my life would I consider this team (sorry, not sorry)
Preds - Team kinda stacked
Devils - Possible
Isle - Rebuild a few times
Rangers - Never really play because of the King
Flyers - I make them mean again, enforcers and scores all day
Pens - Sid the kid and Geno, enough said
Sens - No
Sharks - Team looks to good, has a lot of pieces
Blues - ^^^
Bolts - ^^^
Leafs - Love them, but too many young guns so far, too easy
Canucks - Done them a few times, meh at this point
Caps - Team looks to good, has a lot of pieces
Jets - ^^^^

SORRY FOR THE SUPER LONG POST!!
TLDR; Looking for a team to rebuild in year 2 or 3, willing to sim and not sign anyone to let players age/leave the team
Old 04-10-2017, 07:37 AM   #248
Pro

I'm 1-0 up vs the Kings in the conference finals right now.
Had two killer series before that.
4-3 vs the jets and 4-3 vs the Sharks
The game really stepped up in difficulty when I hit the playoffs
Became much tougher,and I might even go superstar next season to get a bit more of a challenge during reg season aswell.

Xbox :ettnollbajen

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »