Home

Human goalie are total garbage this year

This is a discussion on Human goalie are total garbage this year within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2016, 09:10 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Human goalie are total garbage this year

I must of played over an 1000 hours has a goalie in NHL 16 in both offline and EASHL. Human goalie was always hard but once in a while it was possible to steal a game. I was not the best goalie out there but I was far from the worst. I was not playing butterfly on the goal line either. I was always challenging the shot.

This year is 100% garbage. It the worst implementation of human goalie they ever did. The lateral movement is far from being sufficient. Don't even try to stop a one timer. You can't follow the shooter on breakaway. It's basically a joke. The puck will trickle down through you when you are 100% square to the shot. I don't even know what the right stick is good for. Sometimes it works and I have no idea why.

Be a pro goalie offline is even worst. The AI D in front of you will have they feet planted in cement and never block the pass across the slot. It's easy picking for the CPU. They will snipe you like they are Ovechkin even if they are grinder with a rating of 60.

for the first time since we can play goalie in NHL (which is the only position I play), I am thinking of giving up. I'll just go play forward or D and exploit all holes I found as a goalie. It will be easy picking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Human goalie are total garbage this year

I discovered something, about the saves and stuff, they said reactionary saves, what they did was map all of goalie saves to left stick in NHL 17, I couldn't believe it for my eyes, when I started stopping everything, you have to move left stick in that direction among other stuff, I dunno if they meant to put it this way or that's there way of saying these reactionary saves system is same as anticipation, but these reactionary saves feel like the old anticipation saves.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Pro

stevostl's Arena

worst ever?

I think once you get the controls down you might think different.. but if the devs did tweak anything it would be the left lateral movement by increasing it some

I'm fine with the goalie controls... I'm stopping plenty of one-timers and breakaways in the EASHL

this video explains pretty well on how to save one-timers actually.. this is exactly what I do

ps. I almost have never used the Right Stick playing Goalie.... You should never ever be using it to make saves. The only time I ever use it is for desperation type saves which I never do or diving poke on breakaways which I never do anymore either.. I rather just play the breakaways straight up because any good player will make you look like a fool any ways if you are diving out at him.. the right stick has always been like this in NHL goalie since 09... you only use it maybe a few times if ever in a game. I personally hardly never use it. If you are using it.. then that is half your problem as goalie

Last edited by stevostl; 09-19-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
Rookie

VeNOM2099's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakar
I must of played over an 1000 hours has a goalie in NHL 16 in both offline and EASHL. Human goalie was always hard but once in a while it was possible to steal a game. I was not the best goalie out there but I was far from the worst. I was not playing butterfly on the goal line either. I was always challenging the shot.

This year is 100% garbage. It the worst implementation of human goalie they ever did. The lateral movement is far from being sufficient. Don't even try to stop a one timer. You can't follow the shooter on breakaway. It's basically a joke. The puck will trickle down through you when you are 100% square to the shot. I don't even know what the right stick is good for. Sometimes it works and I have no idea why.

Be a pro goalie offline is even worst. The AI D in front of you will have they feet planted in cement and never block the pass across the slot. It's easy picking for the CPU. They will snipe you like they are Ovechkin even if they are grinder with a rating of 60.

for the first time since we can play goalie in NHL (which is the only position I play), I am thinking of giving up. I'll just go play forward or D and exploit all holes I found as a goalie. It will be easy picking.
I feel your pain. However, I think you're not giving the goalie mode its due if you think it's not possible to play it correctly.

Forget about all those "EA NHL Tutorials" that are basically showing you how to stay as deep as possible and move around a little as possible. They may be very good for the player who has no idea how to play as a goalie for real. But it's not "fun", at least that's not fun to me. I've played the position for 20 years and followed hockey for over 30 years. I've watched great goalies like Grant Fuhr, Patrick Roy, Dominic Hasek play the game their own way. My favourite goalie was always Ron Tugnutt and I fashioned my goaltending style after him.

And ever since I started using manual goalies online since NHL 13, I've always tried to play it the way I played goalie in real life.

Even in NHL 17, it's possible to play this way. Naturally, like real life, even though you may pull off some incredible saves, you can't win game by yourself... At least not all the time. The most important aspect of playing goalie is to find a team that plays well together and limits the high percentage scoring chances (cross-crease one timers and breakaways).

I'll be starting my own Goalie Tutorial series pretty soon on my youtube channel and my new twitch channel. I hope I can show people that human goalies don't need to necessarily play safe in this game to be effective. You can still play your own style and succeed, but most of all, have fun playing the way YOU want to play.
The days have gone down in the West... behind the Hills... into Shadow.

How did it come to this?
Old 09-19-2016, 02:55 PM   #5
Pro

stevostl's Arena

one tip I would give to playing goalie is use the HIGH camera

this is best for positioning and angles... I know I'm old school and this was always the best camera of the past and early days of the EASHL...

but I tried using cameras like Fixed as recommended but I am just not as good on it. on high I almost always have my angles covers and I'm in position well and I still can see the one timer and wraps coming.

I guess it's personal preference but I recommend this camera to anyone struggling.

I would also make sure you use precision control on by default.. and use the controls your use to. I been playing goalie in the EASHL 09 so I use the alternate controls.. it's more natural to me to hug the post this way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #6
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

try my alternate goalie slider : http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-nhl-17-a.html

Last edited by SuperGoalies; 09-19-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #7
Rookie

VeNOM2099's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevostl
one tip I would give to playing goalie is use the HIGH camera

this is best for positioning and angles... I know I'm old school and this was always the best camera of the past and early days of the EASHL...

but I tried using cameras like Fixed as recommended but I am just not as good on it. on high I almost always have my angles covers and I'm in position well and I still can see the one timer and wraps coming.

I guess it's personal preference but I recommend this camera to anyone struggling.

I would also make sure you use precision control on by default.. and use the controls your use to. I been playing goalie in the EASHL 09 so I use the alternate controls.. it's more natural to me to hug the post this way.
I was also a stout proponent of using the HIGH camera for human goalies, but I think I may have been converted to the new FIXED camera. It's a little higher than I would like it but I think it works really well as a compromise: you can still gauge your angles really well, but it allows you to see more of the ice so you can see plays develop. This is especially useful for those players that like to hide on the edge of the screen or behind the net.
The days have gone down in the West... behind the Hills... into Shadow.

How did it come to this?
Old 09-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNOM2099
I feel your pain. However, I think you're not giving the goalie mode its due if you think it's not possible to play it correctly.

Forget about all those "EA NHL Tutorials" that are basically showing you how to stay as deep as possible and move around a little as possible. They may be very good for the player who has no idea how to play as a goalie for real. But it's not "fun", at least that's not fun to me. I've played the position for 20 years and followed hockey for over 30 years. I've watched great goalies like Grant Fuhr, Patrick Roy, Dominic Hasek play the game their own way. My favourite goalie was always Ron Tugnutt and I fashioned my goaltending style after him.

And ever since I started using manual goalies online since NHL 13, I've always tried to play it the way I played goalie in real life.

Even in NHL 17, it's possible to play this way. Naturally, like real life, even though you may pull off some incredible saves, you can't win game by yourself... At least not all the time. The most important aspect of playing goalie is to find a team that plays well together and limits the high percentage scoring chances (cross-crease one timers and breakaways).

I'll be starting my own Goalie Tutorial series pretty soon on my youtube channel and my new twitch channel. I hope I can show people that human goalies don't need to necessarily play safe in this game to be effective. You can still play your own style and succeed, but most of all, have fun playing the way YOU want to play.
I understand your point but the reality is human goalie in NHL 17 cannot match the speed of the forward. No one plays their defensive position correctly and we have to deal with more one time and breakaway that most goalie would ever face in their life. We just don't have the tool to be effective in these situation. Lateral movement is my biggest pet peeves but also being 100% square to the shot and the puck still trickles in.

I was playing last night with experienced and very good players. I think my save % was not even in the 80s. Modern goalie in the NHL have a save % in the 90s. It's been impossible to maintain anywhere close to that as a human goalie in any EA NHL games. It just worst than usual this year. Maybe I'm rusty or I am getting too old but I can't seem to make the same amount of save that I used too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »