Home

Absolutely HORRIBLE Goaltending in NHL 17

This is a discussion on Absolutely HORRIBLE Goaltending in NHL 17 within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Absolutely HORRIBLE Goaltending in NHL 17

Just to make sure I understand correctly, is the dotted line where you are aiming the stick or is that the game's suggested passing lane? As a defender in BAP I was back checking along the boards, grabbed the puck and was going to pass to a teammate dead even with me center ice. I pass it, only for it to end up going to another teammate at the blue line, probably 10 feet or so behind where I was aiming. Of course other team picks off the puck in this case.

I go into the replay, see that I am aiming perfectly at my intended target, and the split second I pass, that dotted line changes to the other teammate. BS I say.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #42
Rookie

BigBadAss33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinthFall
They were supposed to fix the weak goalies from NHL 16 for NHL 17 and even marketed the NHL 17 with all new goalie system, but the goaltending is almost worse than before.

Goalies are out of the crease now more than ever before and weak wrist shots go in more than often AND goalies are super fcucking slow.

The only thing goalies now learned is to use their stick

I have 88 overall luongo who lets in so many weak shots god damn his saving % as of now is 0.767

Here I uploaded 2 videos to show as examples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzJ9aKJJlcA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vV_K7PEyQM
That's because Luongo is a sieve. It can't get any more realistic imo!!!!
Old 09-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #43
Pro

T5063's Arena

OVR: 2

I've been fiddling with sliders and settings to try to fix the goalies.

Every time I think I have it figured out the CPU goes on a multiple scoring burst against me (ei 4 goals on 6 shots that the goalie should've easily stopped) and its back to the drawing board.

The best solution I have found so far is to bump up the Human goalie reaction sliders to about 90. This has given me more realistic GAA and save percentages. I hate doing this because I like even sliders for human and CPU but until/if this gets fixed with a patch its the best solution I've found.

Also, like other posters said, the goalies do get stuck in the animations which allows the CPU to easily score on rebounds. The goalie gets stuck in an animations for a split second which leaves a portion of the net wide open. Then they can't react fast enough before a CPU player puts the rebound into the open portion of the net.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #44
Rookie

swampgator's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor
Just to make sure I understand correctly, is the dotted line where you are aiming the stick or is that the game's suggested passing lane? As a defender in BAP I was back checking along the boards, grabbed the puck and was going to pass to a teammate dead even with me center ice. I pass it, only for it to end up going to another teammate at the blue line, probably 10 feet or so behind where I was aiming. Of course other team picks off the puck in this case.

I go into the replay, see that I am aiming perfectly at my intended target, and the split second I pass, that dotted line changes to the other teammate. BS I say.
I gave the game another shot last night before returning it today. Had that exact thing happen. I believe the yellow cone is where your passing, dotted line is suggested (it is actually the aiming for saucer pass though, go figure, thanks EA) and the blue cone is a lane.
But everything was pointing right to my teammate perfectly only for my pass to go left of where I was aiminh, right into a defender. I was gliding too. No fancy skating bs.

Last edited by swampgator; 09-29-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #45
Rookie

swampgator's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinthFall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN3OLU0SM0o

Look at this. This is definitely NOT how 88 overall goalie behaves, it's not even a weak goal anymore, the goalie is drunk or something

And sad part is this happens every game, Luongo currently struggling to keep 0.800 saving %

Also watch the AI defending, what is that

Again, I must say that this is the official online/offline competitive all-star difficulty I'm using. U can fix this with sliders I assume
This is absolute bull****. EA needs to address this poke check problem. There's no reason:
1) the poke check should have physically happened at that angle
2) your defenseman should have made no effort for the puck
3) the puck should have gathered that much speed off a poke check

This happens CONSTANTLY. And it's bull**** because people who hang their sticks or don't protect the puck get 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th chances. And then bs goals like that happen. That is literally the game for the last 2 years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #46
Rookie

don28's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampgator
This is absolute bull****. EA needs to address this poke check problem. There's no reason:
1) the poke check should have physically happened at that angle
2) your defenseman should have made no effort for the puck
3) the puck should have gathered that much speed off a poke check

This happens CONSTANTLY. And it's bull**** because people who hang their sticks or don't protect the puck get 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th chances. And then bs goals like that happen. That is literally the game for the last 2 years.
I have played hockey for over 20 years, and have been a fan of this series as long. The last 2 seasons have been the worst versions of this franchise. Horrible goaltending, defensemen that ignore the puck and their assignments, a computer that magically wins every puck race, super AI goalies rated in the 70's, etc. I didn't buy this one, and will not after finishing my 10 hours on EA Access. I never thought I'd see the day when Madden produced a good game and NHL became the lesser game.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:56 PM   #47
MVP

CubFan23's Arena

OVR: 23

I bought this on Wednesday but still haven't opened it. As an offline franchise player only, should I open it? I'm reading all these posts about how the goal-tending sucks and am having second thoughts.

“I knew when my career was over. In 1965 my baseball card came out with no picture".
- Bob Uecker
Old 09-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #48
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubFan23
I bought this on Wednesday but still haven't opened it. As an offline franchise player only, should I open it? I'm reading all these posts about how the goal-tending sucks and am having second thoughts.
you can fix it with sliders. I have my shot accuracy at 30, shot power at 45 and goaltender reaction and save reaction at like 75 and don't see as many goaltending problems.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »