Home

CPU not taking any penalties

This is a discussion on CPU not taking any penalties within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
MVP

Quint75's Arena

OVR: 16
CPU not taking any penalties

I am about to pull my hair out. No matter what settings I use, sliders or otherwise, the CPU never takes a penalty against me. I have played 5 straight games and have not had a single power play. I tried playing pure simulation, moving the penalty sliders up and down, different length periods, nothing seems to make 1 bit of difference. This is on PS4 btw. Anyone else seeing this? It's killing the realism for me. I get called for 3-5 a game but the CPU never does. Ugh!
NFL: Pittsburgh Steelers
EPL: Liverpool Reds
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2016, 10:34 PM   #2
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: CPU not taking any penalties

Go punch my penalty sliders into your game...you're welcome. There is no reason for this problem
Old 09-20-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

What are your settings? Are you sure penalties are on? I can't imagine the cpu not taking penalties this year.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:02 AM   #4
All Star

Stormyhog's Arena

OVR: 15

I play All-Star, full simulation, 6 min periods, default sliders no tweaks & see the cpu taking some penalties. Last game I had 3pp's & the cpu had 2pp's. I always find when I mess with the sliders to much it starts to unbalance the game at least for me.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
MVP

Quint75's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
What are your settings? Are you sure penalties are on? I can't imagine the cpu not taking penalties this year.

Penalties are definitely on, as I get called for 3-5 a game. I have tried the CPU penalty slider at 75 and at 95, and the individual penalty sliders the same. No calls against the CPU. I am playing default period length and simulation settings (except for the penalty sliders). I cannot make heads or tails of this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
MVP

Quint75's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
Go punch my penalty sliders into your game...you're welcome. There is no reason for this problem

I'll give it a shot but nothing I have done so far has worked and I have done a lot of tinkering. I'll let you know.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:57 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint75
I'll give it a shot but nothing I have done so far has worked and I have done a lot of tinkering. I'll let you know.
It's not you. The sliders are once again broken in this game. Played over 40 games with same setup on Early Access and PS4. (Penalty Slider at halfway). Everything for me was working as it should, then I simmed a few games in Franchise...

The game right after simming was my team taking 8 penalties and CPU taking 0. All 8 of my penalties were all CPU teammate penalties who were all called for slashing, and all of them came in groups within a set time. 8 Penalties, All called within seconds of each other in groups of 2.

Played another game and same exact thing. Took a break from the game, came back and it was fine. Then the problem started again. This time I lowered slashing down to 20, CPU Teammate to 20 and CPU to 60. Within seconds of playing a game, my teammates just started hitting people with their sticks again. Lowered them even further and since then it seems to have balanced out. Only 10 games left in my first season but so far that issue mirrors an issue I had in 16.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 2

I am a bit of a weirdo. Whatever normal is, I assure you I am not it. So I am one of those people who likes CPU vs CPU games (though other sports franchises do a much better job of CPU vs CPU games than the EA NHL Franchise does, though NHL 17 is better than any of it's predecessors). Anyway as a CPU vs CPU fan, I am seeing the opposite. I am seeing too many CPU penalties being called. I have tried the global penalty slider at 1, 2, 3 and 4 and nothing seems to matter. In a full game with 20 minute periods, at least half of the game is played with someone in the penalty box. It's just this constant steady stream of players heading to the sin bin. The only way to control this appears to be to set the global penalty slider to zero. But then you know what happens. At zero there are no penalties.

Less than ideal I would say. I have chosen to play at zero for now because it helps keep the scores and shots on net within accurate real world averages. NHL 17 is the first time I have ever seen a full game with 20 minute periods where the shots on net average around 30 shots a game. The shots on net in previous years have always been 50+ shots if you attempt to play a full game.

So yeah, NHL 17 is a nice improvement in many aspects of the game over previous years. But when it comes to penalties, there is definitely something fishy going on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »