Home

Tips for experienced gamer but not experienced hockey knowledge

This is a discussion on Tips for experienced gamer but not experienced hockey knowledge within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2016, 01:15 AM   #1
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20
Tips for experienced gamer but not experienced hockey knowledge

I feel like I can absolutely love this game if I can just learn how to play it better with the right setting combination. However my knowledge of hockey is fair but lacking. I feel like in order to succeed in this game I need to understand hockey a little deeper than I do now. Kind of like playing MLBTS.

My struggle is how to defend! I played 12min period and the Canucks had 21 shots on goal after one period. It was 24-9 within the first minute of the 2nd period. How do I play better defense? I don't really understand basic positioning to play defense honestly. I usually scramble around with one guy and poke check. Which I know is not a good strategy lol.

Also offensively I have trouble in the offensive zone. Charging in there is easy, but setting up a good shot is not. Any tips?

Mainly need help on defense. They are on pace to shoot 60 shots on goal which is absurb haha!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2016, 04:09 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Tips for experienced gamer but not experienced hockey knowledge

i mean with longer periods like that you are going to have higher shot totals anyway so its a little hard to explain how to lower that

but as far as defensive play... understand what position you are controlling, if its a forward that is watching a guy at the point, or a Dman staying near the net, the worst thing to do is fall into the trap of just puck chasing
Old 10-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 20

I don't get it myself and I'm a vet and think I understand hockey pretty well. I consistently grade out in the A-range on defense to boot, yet have still been seeing shot totals that are ungodly (not unlike what you mentioned, 21 shots in the first, 49 shots for the game, etc.). It makes no sense. Neutral zone defense is just non-existent in this game unless I'm totally missing something.

I've been toying with the idea of going down to 10-minute periods because I can't figure out what else to do - I've already neutered the CPU in terms of pass-accuracy, shot power and shot accuracy; try to play in a completely sim manner (holding position where possible, working the boards, timely passes (opposed to just run-n-gun all game), yet still lost my last game 4-3 while getting out-shot 49-26. I don't get it either.

Game is just tuned for 5-minute periods I guess, and people (myself included) suggesting this could finally be fixed with sliders spoke too soon.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

My defensive strategy against cpu is to keep myself always between puck and goal and block passing lanes to players in center of dzone. I usually control my centerman and glide in the middle and try to poke the puck away while trying to prevent passes to the middle. It is important to recognize which forwards cpu teammates are covering so you can cover the last free forward.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #5
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

I have to say I'm pretty new to this game. And I've learned a lot in the last month or so. But I have to agree here. There is no neutral zone defense in this game especially vs the CPU.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2016, 02:43 PM   #6
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

This spoiler contains some results I've found with Neutral Zone pressure and lower shot totals. I spoiled it so I wouldn't de-rail this thread
Spoiler

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »