Home

Icing Help for a rookie.

This is a discussion on Icing Help for a rookie. within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Icing Help for a rookie.

Maybe you guys can help me understand. So the Icing rule was made for the defense can't just clear the puck out of the offenses zone. Which totally makes sense to me. But here is the thing that makes nnnnnnnooooo sense at all and I'm hoping someone could help me understand why. So a team is award a penalty. And the other team loses a player for a certain amount of time (depending on the penalty). BUT WHY IN THE WORLD IS THE DEFENSE ALOUD to clear it down the ice? Why give advantage to one team and then change the game and remove a rule?

If Admin think this should be some where else. Please just move it there. Thank You
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #2
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Icing Help for a rookie.

If you didn't have icing removed for the team on the penalty kill, I believe games would last longer and scores would be much higher. You have the man advantage, so that's enough.

Plus teams would still ice the puck to give their players a breather.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:08 AM   #3
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
If you didn't have icing removed for the team on the penalty kill, I believe games would last longer and scores would be much higher. You have the man advantage, so that's enough.

Plus teams would still ice the puck to give their players a breather.
But here is the thing that really pissed me off last night that doesn't make any sense. The team that's on a power play can still get the icing call. What kind of BS is that?!
Old 11-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
But here is the thing that really pissed me off last night that doesn't make any sense. The team that's on a power play can still get the icing call. What kind of BS is that?!
Of course they can.. they have a man advantage.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
Rookie

Caniac94's Arena

OVR: 0

The penalized team loses a man but gets to ice the puck. The team on the PP still has icing in effect. If the PK team wasn't allowed to ice the puck then penalty killing would be a lot harder. Some discussion has been up as to whether this should be changed but I think the team on the kill should be able to fully clear the puck as that is a part of penalty killing and allows for a full change as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #6
Rookie

CaptainSuperman's Arena

OVR: 0

Icing isn't just for stopping the defense from clearing the zone to stay out of danger, but also to stop teams from just throwing the puck into the offensive zone hoping to get possession from there. Otherwise it would be a game of volleyball with teams just firing the puck back and forth. It forces teams to carry the puck and maintain possession.

And icing has nothing to do with penalties themselves, but if you have icing against a team on the PK, then it makes it much much much harder for them to clear the zone, almost guaranteeing a goal for the team on the power play. At that point games would come down exclusively to who can draw the most penalties, who can embellish the most, and not about even 5v5 play and that's not what the sport is about (sorry football/soccer fans).

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »