Home

Penalties

This is a discussion on Penalties within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-01-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19
Penalties

Are penalties tied to difficulty?

I've played probably a dozen games on semi-pro, and I've yet to see a single penalty called on the CPU. I've had a few called on myself when I've gotten over agressive, but none on the CPU or my CPU teammates.

I started out with all the penalty sliders at 50. Then I bumped CPU penalties and CPU teammate penalties to 100 but left all the individual penalties at 50. I'm playing now with all penalties at 100, and still nothing. Sucks the fun out of the game if I never get to be on a PP.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2016, 10:57 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Penalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
Are penalties tied to difficulty?

I've played probably a dozen games on semi-pro, and I've yet to see a single penalty called on the CPU. I've had a few called on myself when I've gotten over agressive, but none on the CPU or my CPU teammates.

I started out with all the penalty sliders at 50. Then I bumped CPU penalties and CPU teammate penalties to 100 but left all the individual penalties at 50. I'm playing now with all penalties at 100, and still nothing. Sucks the fun out of the game if I never get to be on a PP.
AI aggressiveness definitely plays into penalties and on Pro and below it really doesn't pressure the puck carrier all that much. You could try raising Aggression to try to stay on Semi-Pro, but ultimately you're probably going to have a consistent problem with too few penalties unless you can play at a level where the AI will put pressure on you. For me, that's All-Star.

The penalty sliders are more about the chance of a player committing an infraction on a play, but when the AI is too passive to take that chance....

Last edited by bcruise; 11-01-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:07 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
AI aggressiveness definitely plays into penalties and on Pro and below it really doesn't pressure the puck carrier all that much. You could try raising Aggression to try to stay on Semi-Pro, but ultimately you're probably going to have a consistent problem with too few penalties unless you can play at a level where the AI will put pressure on you. For me, that's All-Star.

The penalty sliders are more about the chance of a player committing an infraction on a play, but when the AI is too passive to take that chance....
Thanks. I'll give the Aggression slider a shot first.

I'm pretty terrible at this game, so I'm trying Semi-pro for now. I'm hoping to get good enough to move up to Pro when I start my season, but I can't see myself competing on All-Star with where my skills are at right now.

Edit: So I bumped Aggression to 100 on Semi-pro and still nothing called. Went up to Pro and got two PPs in the first period. So I just need to step by game up and play on Pro.

Last edited by LowerWolf; 11-01-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:42 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
Thanks. I'll give the Aggression slider a shot first.

I'm pretty terrible at this game, so I'm trying Semi-pro for now. I'm hoping to get good enough to move up to Pro when I start my season, but I can't see myself competing on All-Star with where my skills are at right now.

Edit: So I bumped Aggression to 100 on Semi-pro and still nothing called. Went up to Pro and got two PPs in the first period. So I just need to step by game up and play on Pro.
Yep, that's just how it is, unfortunately. I'd suggest turning on the passing suggestions line in the on-ice trainer, if only for a little while. Defensive zone turnovers on interceptions are going to be the biggest problem once the CPU actually establishes a forecheck (which it starts to on Pro), and that line will show you safe passes that you can make to get out of your own zone. As long as you're not constantly turning the puck over in your own end, the game should be a lot more engaging on that level, along with seeing more penalties.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Have penalties dropped off again? I remember a good deal of excitement when the game first came out, because people were saying that finally penalties were being called at a pretty realistic rate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2016, 12:23 PM   #6
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
Have penalties dropped off again? I remember a good deal of excitement when the game first came out, because people were saying that finally penalties were being called at a pretty realistic rate.
I'm near the top in penalties and power plays so far into my franchise after 6 games. I have all 3 penalty sliders maxed out (not the individual ones), the main penalty slider, CPU and Human main sliders). The individual sliders I've left at default for now.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Yep, that's just how it is, unfortunately. I'd suggest turning on the passing suggestions line in the on-ice trainer, if only for a little while. Defensive zone turnovers on interceptions are going to be the biggest problem once the CPU actually establishes a forecheck (which it starts to on Pro), and that line will show you safe passes that you can make to get out of your own zone. As long as you're not constantly turning the puck over in your own end, the game should be a lot more engaging on that level, along with seeing more penalties.
I only played a period on Pro before calling it a night (and I was actually ahead 1-0) but it definitely played better to me. I've definitely gotten better just by playing; I'll give the ice trainer a shot to improve my game a bit more.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 16

I'm using OBG's sliders, but playing on PRO. I see plenty of penalties. Last game I had 5 PowerPlays. So the penalties are there, you might have to make adjustments based on difficulty level.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »