Home

How Could Presentation Be Improved In NHL 18

This is a discussion on How Could Presentation Be Improved In NHL 18 within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2017, 07:33 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 20
Re: How Could Presentation Be Improved In NHL 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
I would love for more stuff to happen "On ice". There are just so many glaring cuts in the game. It would be nice to get a bit more in terms of realistic goal celebrations, and just other various things that play out on the ice without dropping to a cut scene.

The shoving and stuff after the play is nice, but it would be better to see guys start to skate off the ice, and also maybe have some better animations for various types of players. As it stands now, you just end up having a handful of pairs doing the exact same animations where they shove and grab each other. It would be cool to see stuff like scrums, guys pulling each other back, players talking to the refs between plays, after whistles, before faceoffs, etc.

Everything just has a tendency to feel very canned. You score a goal, do one of two celebrations if you're me (Jump into the boards, or scrape the ice...because the others are all just goofy) and then everyone kind of follows after you, before you glide into the boards, net or other players as it plays out, then it suddenly cuts to a player or two patting you.

Personally, I wouldn't mind more animations for just general things to break up the 5 guys skating and doing the same few things. Defenders patting their goalie, guys who are tired showing it on the ice after the whistle, players talking to each other on near miss goals, or maybe before faceoffs.

Basically just anything on ice to kind of break up the usual guys standing around, and preferably less cuts to the close ups right after. I don't mind the camera moving, or zooming, but it can kind of take you out of things to score a goal, have you lonely player jump into the glass, then quickly cut to guys mobbing you, followed by another cut to you skating down the bench, followed by replays...
i don't disagree with any of that, but my point was simply that if real-time 4- and 5-man celebrations is too much for whatever reason (tbf madden only rarely has more than 2-man celebrations too) then i don't see many people giving a rip if they were prerendered instead.

yeah, it'd be great if everything was real-time, flawlessly seamless, etc. but clearly that isn't on the table right now.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #34
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Something a bit disappointing I noticed (and mentioned in the impressions thread) is that there was no fanfare over my team's first game after relocation. No big deal about our last game in the playoffs, and our first home game in the new city, and Doc and Eddie are talking about the Rangers' win streak at 1-0-0.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:06 PM   #35
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

As far as commentary goes, I really wouldn't care if they did not have a real-life commentator in the game. I would rather have a guy who works for EA do it. This way, they could record a ton of new lines and they could constantly update it.

I would take anyone who displays a lot of emotion in their voice to do the commentary.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2017, 02:46 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 0

This game has some of the worst presentation ever. Playoff mode specifically. They don't even mention what game number of the series it is. I see this thread every year and they never implement any of our suggestions so why bother. Too bad because the game is playing better each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2017, 03:49 PM   #37
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
As far as commentary goes, I really wouldn't care if they did not have a real-life commentator in the game. I would rather have a guy who works for EA do it. This way, they could record a ton of new lines and they could constantly update it.

I would take anyone who displays a lot of emotion in their voice to do the commentary.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I'd honestly be fine with that. One thing I always thought would be a nice little DLC type thing was something that FIFA had years ago, though I don't know that they still offer it. It was essentially commentary packs, but in languages not included by default. It would be cool to have "Home Team" announcer packs and presentation available to use for your home games, though that would assume they got team specific announcers to come in and record a ton of dialogue.

But, a boy can dream about having JK and Panger calling the game someday.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 1

real time dynamic camera instead of the same 5 cut scenes over and over

they usually show some cool views in the trailers, why cant they use those in the actual game

nhl series seriously has like no "little things" in the game anymore, what happen to the fans banging on the glass or booing when an opposing star player has the puck, etc etc
Old 03-12-2017, 04:18 PM   #39
Rookie

I would focus on sound first.
Commentary is just terrible.
Crowd sound is also mismanaged.

Secondly, I would work on the interface which is still way too slow and not particularly beautiful.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #40
Rookie

robinson's Arena

Have the ****ty commentary saved from previous yrs like tuners so you can choose or select randomness.

Drivable Zambonis (press button to go).

Make ice more realistic looking, get the photo (face) thing in there. Same with jerseys. It still will look 3d video game like.

1080p hd arena/city fly overs and more of them. Have this as a separate download so it can be on ps4 and not on disk for space.

Whatever was good in 2k put it in this, cut and paste.

Really need to feel like your carving on the ice. More ice skating sliders.

0-1000 for overall speed slider. The most important thing is overall speed it makes a big diff. in the gameplay.

More angles from arena during off play.

Have a section where you can walk around the rink, into the locker rooms, anywhere in rink before after game, like practice section.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »