Home

NHL 18 Teaser Trailer

This is a discussion on NHL 18 Teaser Trailer within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 18 Teaser Trailer

EA Sports released a new teaser trailer this morning for NHL 18. The trailer doesn't contain much gameplay but there is a brief clip featuring Mitch Marner from the Toronto Maple Leafs. It looks like mouth guards were added into the game, perhaps a visual upgrade, and the trailer hints at growing up playing hockey -- which could be a tease of something new with Be A Pro.

The Narration says as follows: "When you grow up playing hockey, they teach you a lot of things: Get the puck deep. Finish your checks. Make the simple plays... But where's the fun in that?"

It is possible this could also indicate the series may tend to lean into a more high flying/arcade version of hockey, but it could just be lip service to making a sim seem even more exciting. Really there's no way to know just yet on that.

Regardless, we'll be keeping an eye on things as we expect much more information from EA on NHL soon! There will be a full reveal of NHL 18 details on June 21 at the NHL Awards.

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: NHL 18 Teaser Trailer

I'm desperately hoping this is the year we get real substantial details on things that can't be shown in sizzle trailers.

Game looks beautiful as always, but EA hasn't had an issue with the game looking good, or being able to show off some super unique deke and highlight real goal...my worry is that they'll be adding more of the rare goals, saves, and player celebrations, and continue to ignore the much needed base of the game.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
Rookie

csamuelsvt's Arena

OVR: 1

"They teach you a lot of things: Get the puck deep. Finish your checks. Make the simple plays... But where's the fun in that?"

Its early...very early, but I think DJNEO was right that this is going towards a somewhat arcade style.

I like the mouth guard on Marner, other than that, not much else to see. Looks like the same goalie flop animation on the goal as well.

Doesn't look like Frostbite is in either.

Just a teaser but, as my favorite game and sport, you expect to be so pumped for the upcoming release and then now it's just like...blah

Last edited by csamuelsvt; 06-07-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamuelsvt
"They teach you a lot of things: Get the puck deep. Finish your checks. Make the simple plays... But where's the fun in that?"

Its early...very early, but I think DJNEO was right that this is going towards a somewhat arcade style.

I like the mouth guard on Marner, other than that, not much else to see. Looks like the same goalie flop animation on the goal as well.

Just a teaser but, as my favorite game and sport, you expect to be so pumped for the upcoming release and then now it's just like...blah
That's my thought process. I'm not trying to be overly negative, but the immediate lean towards the flashy goal, showing the old goalie animation that looks detached from the ice, and the mouth guard option that while cool, isn't a huge detail is worrying, only because EA has a tendency to go for the things that look cool, but don't really add a ton.

I know it's only an incredibly brief trailer with no real substance, but it's going to be very disappointing to see that I can add a hanging mouth guard to a player, but still can't edit much else about him, and 2/3 of my NHL team still have generic faces between the players.

That said, I'm being cautiously optimistic, but I certainly won't be shocked to end up disappointed again.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #5
ORIGINAL SIX FAN

13whitebread's Arena

OVR: 15
Thumbs up Re: NHL 18 Teaser Trailer

Pretty sure Austin Mathews will be on the cover after seeing the video which is not a bad idea he is a very talented young player. I would rather have a Red Wing but I don't think they have that caliber player on there team right now. It will be interesting to see but my money is on Matthews.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #6
Just started!

OVR: 0

I already knew I was skipping 18 due to the EASHL connection/region matching debacle this year, but that makes me more confident in my decision. I don't want figure skating and fancy dekes. I want a reasonable level of real hockey.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #7
ORIGINAL SIX FAN

13whitebread's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamuelsvt

I am hoping since they did not show the goal hopefully some of the suspense will be an included 5 man goal celebration
Old 06-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0
Not a promising teaser, we'll see if they do anything for GM mode.*

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »