Home

Building your team in Be A GM

This is a discussion on Building your team in Be A GM within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
Rookie

Shamhat1915's Arena

OVR: 5
Building your team in Be A GM

So, trying to be more "realistic" in my Be A GM mode, and wondering how everyone goes about building their teams and setting up their lines. Do you just go after the highest-rated players and plug them in, or do you look for certain skills/attributes for different positions or lines?
I mean, even if a player is lower rated than someone else, but their attributes fit what you want more, do you go with them. Just curious about this

For instance, in my newest franchise I'm starting, I'm going more of a skill style instead of overall ratings. I have ideas of what I want my team to look like/play like, and I'm making trades and signings with that in mind. Example: I want size and strength up the middle, so I'm looking for bigger centers with a higher strength rating. And they have to be able to control the faceoff circle as well. I also want them to have good hand-eye since I'm expecting them to be screening and deflecting shots. On the wings, I want speed, balance, puck control and offensive awareness so they can make plays and control the ice with their speed. My third line depends on what I have available, but is usually a mix of offensive and defensive skills so they can do both. And my fourth liners I expect to be grittier, stronger, more physical with a modicum of scoring potential.
I look at each position like that, and will even sign or play a player who is rated lower but seems to have the skills I am looking for. Or at least be extremely proficient in one or two key skills that allows the overlooking of some other mediocre ones.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Building your team in Be A GM

One word. Speed. You can score with anyone as long as they have speed. Game is broken so you just have to have that.

I created a team with all lower end players but really fast and dominated the cpu on the best level and really not even that great.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

I try to be realistic in my Be a GM moves, but it's kind of frustrated by the fact that the player's abilities don't really matter. If a guy is a great 3rd line player in real life, and is great at taking the puck away, it doesn't really reflect that way in the actual in-game action.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:00 PM   #4
Pro

Balrog's Arena

OVR: 14

If you want to be as realistic as possible do this: (Going by your logo as your team)

1: Sign players ages 30-33 to max long term deals. 6-7 years is a plus.
2: Over pay them by 1-3m per year.
3: If they were a star when they were younger that is a plus. Sign them for a year or two!!
4: Signs 2 mediocre goalies to long term starting goalie deals.
5: Hold out on younger player contracts. Wait to the last second to sign them or send them to arbitration for 1 year deal and then they will leave the team.
6: If they are a good prospect that should be playing in the NHL make sure to over rippen them in the farm system.
7: Never and never sign the best prospect in free agency. Sign a early 30's defensemen for 5 years.
8: If they had a good year the year before, SIGN THEM ASAP!!
9: Rinse and repeat
Old 07-16-2017, 11:34 PM   #5
Rookie

Shamhat1915's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog
If you want to be as realistic as possible do this: (Going by your logo as your team)

1: Sign players ages 30-33 to max long term deals. 6-7 years is a plus.
2: Over pay them by 1-3m per year.
3: If they were a star when they were younger that is a plus. Sign them for a year or two!!
4: Signs 2 mediocre goalies to long term starting goalie deals.
5: Hold out on younger player contracts. Wait to the last second to sign them or send them to arbitration for 1 year deal and then they will leave the team.
6: If they are a good prospect that should be playing in the NHL make sure to over rippen them in the farm system.
7: Never and never sign the best prospect in free agency. Sign a early 30's defensemen for 5 years.
8: If they had a good year the year before, SIGN THEM ASAP!!
9: Rinse and repeat
Haha, sounds about right. Red Wings management is just horrible when it comes to that. At least there have been slight (very slight) strides in the right direction this year. That, of course, were then reverted at the start of free agency with the Trevor Daley signing. And the non-signing of Tomas Tatar so far. I mean, damn

I must admit, I love your reply though lol. Not exactly what I was looking for from a reply, but it certainly made my day.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »