Home

NHL 18 Gameplay Trailer: Creative Attack Dekes, Defensive Skill Stick, Creative AI

This is a discussion on NHL 18 Gameplay Trailer: Creative Attack Dekes, Defensive Skill Stick, Creative AI within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #9
Rookie

bradbitte's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 18 Gameplay Trailer: Creative Attack Dekes, Defensive Skill Stick, Creative A

Joke

Defensive skill was the same in the last gen.
Skill stick should be as a "normal update of the gameplay" not as an improvement of the game.

Nothing new EA
Old 07-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #10
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: NHL 18 Gameplay Trailer: Creative Attack Dekes, Defensive Skill Stick, Creative A

Enjoyed NHL 17 quite a lot despite its flaws and legacy issues.

I'll believe AI stuff when it's in my own hands. I'm skeptical the AI has learned to use the skating engine properly and will be smarter positionally and have better animations to transition into receiving the puck.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #11
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
I'm hoping the actual AI knows how to use their 3 on 3 now.

Before, it was 1 forward and 2 defenders, so this lead to stuff like Kyle Brodziak being sent out in OT with Gunnarsson and Bortuzzo, instead of a better line like Parayko and Stastny with Fabbri.
EA said they rewrote the logic for 3v3 to be more in line with how it's played IRL. You can see in the video they line up with 2F/1D at the faceoff, as opposed to 1F/2D like last year, so that's a start. They also mentioned puck support logic intended for 3v3 improvements also impacting the rest of the game, so let's hope they're not all talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I'll believe AI stuff when it's in my own hands. I'm skeptical the AI has learned to use the skating engine properly and will be smarter positionally and have better animations to transition into receiving the puck.
And yeah, what BP said... proof is always in the pudding regarding touted AI improvements.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #12
Rookie

Diehardfan's Arena

OVR: 4

Another idiotic dekefest...will they never learn? Actually, they pretty much have learned....learned how to make money repackaging much of the same features and adding some small ticks to keep the teenagers happy. I recently picked up 17 for $10....and have played a few games and quickly realized that I overpaid. I wouldn't touch 18 with 10' pole.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #13
Rookie

newjerseydamo's Arena

OVR: 2
Same trailer as last month, same animations from the past few years, same features as last gen (apart from 3 on 3 mode).

As much as it will pain me, I won't be buying this year's.*
Old 07-13-2017, 04:07 PM   #14
Rookie

Not a single word about goalies....the last thing this game needs is more offense. This looks more and more like 17 with added dekes and a 3v3 mode.....
Old 07-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #15
Rookie

Looks promising to me. I'm picking it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 33
Personally I actually enjoy the current NHL game in terms of Gameplay. What I want to see is Improved Presentation/Commentary & a sleeker & more informative menu system.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »