Home

NHL 18 Beta Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here!

This is a discussion on NHL 18 Beta Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here! within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2017, 10:38 AM   #57
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: NHL 18 Beta Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here!

Dumb question, but in 3-on-3, is the rink smaller?
Old 07-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 3

Yes the rink is smaller. You can choose an EA rink or MSG, and even the MSG rink has shrunken down ice dimensions.....at least this is the case in threes arcade mode. Not sure about the other mode

Last edited by ddhex27; 07-27-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #59
Pro

Josam27o7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I don't think that's possible unless I'm missing a way to. Best you can do to see what would happen is player lock someone in online versus and and watch the other player skate circles around your 4 teammates.
Isn't it possible by playing in online versus and having a friend to be coop on your team? It's the middle section of the online versus option in the beta. It says, "play the CPU."

Last edited by Josam27o7; 07-27-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #60
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

I see the same nonsense exists in online versus as in 17. End of 2 periods I'm outshooting my opponent 17-2 but he's winning 2-0. 3rd period starts he steps over line and shoots "Goal" 3-0 on 3 shots. Game ended 4-0 loss even though I out shot him 29-6. What a joke.....oh and your AI team mates still skate in front of you and break up as many plays as the opposing defense.

EASHL still aweful because if you are lucky enough to get into a 6-6 game after 2 goals guys start quitting.

The above is why I prefer offline

Last edited by jake19ny; 07-27-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #61
Pro

Josam27o7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
I see the same nonsense exists in online versus as in 17. End of 2 periods I'm outshooting my opponent 17-2 but he's winning 2-0. 3rd period starts he steps over line and shoots "Goal" 3-0 on 3 shots. Game ended 4-0 loss even though I out shot him 29-6. What a joke.....oh and your AI team mates still skate in front of you and break up as many plays as the opposing defense.

EASHL still aweful because if you are lucky enough to get into a 6-6 game after 2 goals guys start quitting.

The above is why I prefer offline
Umm Jake? As we know in soccer, possession and shots does not mean quality or clinical. Your opponent is simply more clinical/getting higher quality. Just shooting low percentage shots inflates your shot totals. You sound like one of those ranger fans who is always screaming at your team on the power play to "shoot the puck," LMAO when you are actually pressuring your team to shoot low percentage shots.

One positive, I am really liking how the CPU controlled D men step up when being rushed at by an attacker passing the blue line. Huge difference.

Last edited by Josam27o7; 07-27-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #62
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josam27o7
Umm Jake? As we know in soccer, possession and shots does not mean quality or clinical. Your opponent is simply more clinical/getting higher quality. Just shooting low percentage shots inflates your shot totals. You sound like one of those ranger fans who is always screaming at your team on the power play to "shoot the puck," LMAO when you are actually pressuring your team to shoot low percentage shots. There is nothing quality or clinical about it.

One positive, I am really liking how the CPU controlled D men step up when being rushed at by an attacker passing the blue line. Huge difference.
Thanks for the explanation and I'm well aware of shot quality. Most of us around here know exactly what I'm talking about so I didn't go into detail but perhaps I should have. His 3 goals on 3 shots were step in shoot and in. No pretty plays...no nice set up....no dekes....skate directly at my defender and wrist a puck in. I dominated in time of possession, shots, and yes quality scoring chances. This is not a new issue for this series on line and it frustrates the hell out of everybody.

Last edited by jake19ny; 07-27-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #63
Rookie

csamuelsvt's Arena

OVR: 1

Some people like to play real hockey playing this game to mimic an NHL game, and then some people like to play EA hockey in this game.

Anyone who has been playing this game for years, knows exactly what I'm talking about.

When you need a goal desperately, it is very easy to get one by doing the same old moves that have been working for years. It's ridiculous how the online players just cheese their way down the ice, gliding, weaving in an out like fools whereby you as the defender more likely than not will trip them resulting in a penalty, or they wind back and shoot the other side of the goalie every single time or back door because you're trying desperately to stop them resulting in you pulling the defender out of position.

The game is sooooo frustrating. Offline helps people like me...to an extent. There are SO many legacy issues that have not been addressed and its even more frustrating when you look at what the Madden team just dropped today in their blog about legacy issues or what 2K dropped with their new improvements.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:55 PM   #64
Pro

Josam27o7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
Thanks for the explanation and I'm well aware of shot quality. Most of us around here know exactly what I'm talking about so I didn't go into detail but perhaps I should have. His 3 goals on 3 shots were step in shoot and in. No pretty plays...no nice set up....no dekes....skate directly at my defender and wrist a puck in. I dominated in time of possession, shots, and yes quality scoring chances. This is not a new issue for this series on line and it frustrates the hell out of everybody.
I have been playing the beta a lot and am not having a big problem w/ this. Maybe you need to step up better and place your stick better. I am seeing lots of varied goals scored against me. I know what you said is a legacy issue, but I think it can be counteracted.

And btw, just bc you get a high quality scoring chance, it doesn't mean you are clinical. I am scoring most games, so not really seeing a big problem.

Last edited by Josam27o7; 07-27-2017 at 02:58 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »