Home

NHL 17 Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 17 Impressions within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #1
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
NHL 17 Impressions

Ok so I have an early copy of the game but I cant discuss anything until after Midnight. I'll post a few thoughts here around that time and answer any questions you may have.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #2
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: NHL 17 Impressions

Really hope you've already typed them out so you can just copy paste them at midnight. What time zone are you in, btw? Lol
Old 09-06-2016, 11:35 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Any changes made to BaP?
Old 09-06-2016, 11:42 PM   #4
Rookie

PhillyGuy11826's Arena

OVR: 1

Can we relocate teams right off the bat in Franchise?
Old 09-07-2016, 12:10 AM   #5
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Alright folks. A couple of things before I get into my impressions:

- I'm a casual hockey fan. I enjoy the sport and I attend a few games a year. With that said, I dont know the sport as well as most of you so forgive me if I misstate something.

- I played a good amount of NHL 15 but not much of 16 so excuse me if I notice something as "new" that was in last year's game.

- I've only had the game for about 3 hours so my playtime is limited:

With that said, here are some initial impressions:

- Penalties much improved. I bumped the penalties up to 100 and immediately had 4 penalties called. 3 against the CPU and one against me.

- Presentation seems the same as 16. Only 2 player goal celebrations. Same NBCSN presentation. Not much new commentary.

- Can no longer skate through opponents and keep possession of the puck. You have to consciously protect the puck and the CPU is very good at taking the puck if you dont. I had to adjust to this and until I did, I was turning over the puck left and right.

- The CPU does a decent job of cycling the puck when its in its offensive zone. Not enough for my taste but it will work the puck around before attempting a shot.

- Random Bug: Vancouver had a breakaway but Holtby (I was Washington) stopped the shot. I got the rebound and accidentally moved the puck into my own goal. The goal didn’t register and the puck slid through the back of the net.

- Nitpick: I played with Canada in the WCOH and Carey Price had his Canadiens mask. Maybe he wears that during international competition but it looked odd.

- Maybe this was in last year's game but I lost my stick deflecting a shot. Oshie raised his stick to block a shot and wasnt able to recover it until a stoppage in play.

- At default, game is a little fast for my taste but not as fast as previous versions I've played at default. I dont feel that I will have to tweak the speed sliders too much.

- Not enough dump and chase but that could be because if who I was facing. When the CPU did dump the puck in, they always dumped it in after they crossed the blue line which seemed strange.

Those are just some random thoughts from playing the game for about 2 hours or so. I'm on the east coast but I'll be up for a few more hours and will try to answer the questions I can. EA Access is tomorrow so you wont have to wait long for answers that I cant provide.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2016, 12:15 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Alright folks. A couple of things before I get into my impressions:

- I'm a casual hockey fan. I enjoy the sport and I attend a few games a year. With that said, I dont know the sport as well as most of you so forgive me if I misstate something.

- I played a good amount of NHL 15 but not much of 16 so excuse me if I notice something as "new" that was in last year's game.

- I've only had the game for about 3 hours so my playtime is limited:

With that said, here are some initial impressions:

- Penalties much improved. I bumped the penalties up to 100 and immediately had 4 penalties called. 3 against the CPU and one against me.

- Presentation seems the same as 16. Only 2 player goal celebrations. Same NBCSN presentation. Not much new commentary.

- Can no longer skate through opponents and keep possession of the puck. You have to consciously protect the puck and the CPU is very good at taking the puck if you dont. I had to adjust to this and until I did, I was turning over the puck left and right.

- The CPU does a decent job of cycling the puck when its in its offensive zone. Not enough for my taste but it will work the puck around before attempting a shot.

- Random Bug: Vancouver had a breakaway but Holtby (I was Washington) stopped the shot. I got the rebound and accidentally moved the puck into my own goal. The goal didn’t register and the puck slid through the back of the net.

- Nitpick: I played with Canada in the WCOH and Carey Price had his Canadiens mask. Maybe he wears that during international competition but it looked odd.

- Maybe this was in last year's game but I lost my stick deflecting a shot. Oshie raised his stick to block a shot and wasnt able to recover it until a stoppage in play.

- At default, game is a little fast for my taste but not as fast as previous versions I've played at default. I dont feel that I will have to tweak the speed sliders too much.

- Not enough dump and chase but that could be because if who I was facing. When the CPU did dump the puck in, they always dumped it in after they crossed the blue line which seemed strange.

Those are just some random thoughts from playing the game for about 2 hours or so. I'm on the east coast but I'll be up for a few more hours and will try to answer the questions I can. EA Access is tomorrow so you wont have to wait long for answers that I cant provide.
Were any additional vintage logos included in the final release, vs. what was in the beta? (which I've included as an image in this post, for reference)

Last edited by Millennium; 09-07-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:18 AM   #7
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGuy11826
Can we relocate teams right off the bat in Franchise?
It looks like you can start the process immediately but you cant move until the next season.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:22 AM   #8
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by billman29
Were any additional vintage logos included in the final release, vs. what was in the beta? (which I've included as an image in this post, for reference)
Same amount as in the beta.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »