Home

Deep Diving Into the NHL 18 Beta

This is a discussion on Deep Diving Into the NHL 18 Beta within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #9
Rookie

csamuelsvt's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Deep Diving Into the NHL 18 Beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by snc237
Regarding the load times, even if you had it in on disc it gets installed to the hard drive so no difference between digital and disc copy.*

The game it self does feel like NHL 17.5 which I'm happy with. NHL 17 was great however needed fine tuning and adjusting here and there. This game seems to fix a lot of that. *A.I. Offencely is improved in its passing but defensively still plays to passive and let some very easy zone enters. I was skeptic about the new defensive stick but I'm was pleasantly surprised and Will make walking through an entire team and shooting from the slot much much harder. *

Overal i I still don't know why they haven't implemented NBA live face scan (that worked amazingly well) and disappointed in the *presentation. It's good it' just hasn't really been changed from NHL 15. Still no team hugs after a goal *which is an eye sore in eashl when you set up a goal and sprint to the teammate for the hug yet someone beat you there so *you get the skate to the bench animation .*

If you enjoyed NHL 17 this is a nice improvement *warranting a purchase. *I'm assuming next year will be the frostbite change over thus the minimal presentation upgrade this year * If you didn't like NHL 17, you will probably look at this and say what did they change? It's the same trash. *I rate the beta 8/10*
Idk if I would say its a "nice improvement." I'll say this, from what I played and i know a lot of others will 100% agree, This game is not worth $59.99 if what we get in September is that same beta with minor tweaks.

My biggest gripe with this game since NHL 15 is they simply have been adding features back in that the game has already had. They improved presentation in NHL 15 with NBC and haven't done a damn thing since with minor upgrades. The commentary in the beta was the exact same word for word as NHL 17. The NHL 17 Beta I could immediately notice new commentary.

The game is just so stale and boring. Playing against people online, its the same goals, the same save animations, etc now with new(hard to do street fighter combination) dekes and DCS.

Look at 2K and what they are doing this year. These minor increments are unacceptable. We hockey fans deserve BETTER.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:13 PM   #10
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8

Regarding Loading times, all games are on your system and none of them read from the disc. Doesn't matter if it's a digital copy or a disc.

Also, this was just a beta for EASHL and NHL Three's. You're not loading through the whole game. I would reserve judgement until you have the full game with all modes, then see how fast the menu navigation is.

I was excited for NHL Three's going in. After playing it for a few hours, I'm honestly over it. I really hope this is not the big selling point for the game. It gets old pretty fast.

Overall I was under-whelmed by the beta and I had been really looking forward to the game this year. Now, I'm actually thinking I'll pass on it. Especially with yet another year and no GM Connected.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:45 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamuelsvt
Idk if I would say its a "nice improvement." I'll say this, from what I played and i know a lot of others will 100% agree, This game is not worth $59.99 if what we get in September is that same beta with minor tweaks.

My biggest gripe with this game since NHL 15 is they simply have been adding features back in that the game has already had. They improved presentation in NHL 15 with NBC and haven't done a damn thing since with minor upgrades. The commentary in the beta was the exact same word for word as NHL 17. The NHL 17 Beta I could immediately notice new commentary.

The game is just so stale and boring. Playing against people online, its the same goals, the same save animations, etc now with new(hard to do street fighter combination) dekes and DCS.

Look at 2K and what they are doing this year. These minor increments are unacceptable. We hockey fans deserve BETTER.
Totally agree. I haven't bought an NHL game since NHL 14. I've rented each year's version hoping for improvement, big changes to warrant a 60 dollar purchase. They're still using animations and things like the Stanley cup presentation from last gen. It's really sad because like you said we hockey fans deserve better and they're ripping us off. I long for the days when 2K made hockey games. At least then we had a choice and it made EA actually try.

Sent from my A1-840FHD using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2017, 06:41 PM   #12
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20
Trust me. They won't be ripping us for too long once they see the reviews coming in, and the number of copies sold. Changes are coming.

Competition is good. Look at the basketball games. NBA 2K had to step up their game this year, and it sounds and looks great!

Too bad we don't have the same luxury with hockey games.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:43 PM   #13
ORIGINAL SIX FAN

13whitebread's Arena

OVR: 15
I will sell a few games to include NHL 17 to lessen the blow of the $59.99 price tag. *I am strictly an offline immulate the season gamer. Not interested in online quitters and 3vs3 mode *maybe that would be great back on the Atari 2600 *but with the systems as powerful as they are I will pass. *Dissapointed in the Presentation - *no 5 man cell and *finally the rehashed commentary. Give me two options NBC and CBC commentators will be on my wish list just like the possible frostbite engine whenever or whatever that brings in NHL 19 I guess
Old 08-01-2017, 11:45 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 2

Ugh, sounds like a pass again for me. This is shaping up to be the first year where I pass on all EA games.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:29 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
?Idk if I would say its a "nice improvement." I'll say this, from what I played and i know a lot of others will 100% agree, This game is not
worth $59.99 if what we get in September is that same beta with minor
tweaks.
My biggest gripe with this game since NHL 15 is they simply have been
adding features back in that the game has already had. They improved
presentation in NHL 15 with NBC and haven't done a damn thing since with
minor upgrades. The commentary in the beta was the exact same word for
word as NHL 17. The NHL 17 Beta I could immediately notice new
commentary.
The game is just so stale and boring. Playing against people online, its
the same goals, the same save animations, etc now with new(hard to do
street fighter combination) dekes and DCS.
I couldn't agree more, I would say even going back as far as 09 or any of the 2k games starting from 2k3. We don't have a choice though I guess which really sucks. I rarely play offline, play with the same small group of friends who are all big hockey fans so we all buy the game so we're kind of screwed. I still switch back to the 360 once in a while and play 2k8 with some updated rosters. Still fun.
I do think there are AI improvements in the beta and I noticed more types of shots going in but that'll get old quick probably, but didn't really get a chance to try the "defensive stick" part of it too much.
As you said, it's not worth another $60. At least change the name, FIFA on Ice or something
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »