Home

First Hockey Game since NHL Hitz-- what should I be doing?

This is a discussion on First Hockey Game since NHL Hitz-- what should I be doing? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2017, 03:10 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
First Hockey Game since NHL Hitz-- what should I be doing?

Hey all,

I picked up NHL 17 on a whim the other day and have really enjoyed it. Dove into a franchise with the Hurricanes and am 6-12-5 so far, having gotten to 5-2 before upping difficulty from Semi-Pro to Pro. Pro has proven to be much more of a challenge.

While I'm a borderline savant in the standard American sports, I haven't ever paid much attention to the NHL outside of casual viewing in the playoffs.

Having said all that...
- What should I be watching for in Franchise mode? I'm seeing things like two way contracts, what appear to be recent draftees not on my roster...what do some of those things mean?
- The potential thing: basically the "Elite, top 6 F, etc." are their top end potential, and the low-med-high is their chance of reaching that potential?
- What's the best way of franchise-building? I learned quickly that, while my first line is no better than any other ones in the league, I also need depth on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Is there any kind of mix and match anyone does?
- Finally-- what should be my focus on-ice? I try not to be overly aggressive on defense, but pay for it EVERY DAMN TIME I miss a check. On offense, I'm not bad but feel like there's a little luck to most of my goals.

Thanks for any insight, word vomit on this thread and I promise to read it!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2017, 10:41 PM   #2
Rookie

Chiefaho's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: First Hockey Game since NHL Hitz-- what should I be doing?

Can't tell you much about contracts and such in franchise mode, as I only play one-off seasons, and I don't meddle with things like drafting & trading.

As far as on ice play goes, you say you pay for it every time you miss a check, which is pretty realistic. If you're gonna go for a hit, you better be sure that you are gonna connect, because if the opponent gets past you he will most likely be off to the races. Best way to make sure you are hitting effectively is to use the boards. Angle guys off on the boards so they have no room to skate and must either make a pass or be hit... or both. Open ice hits are harder to pull off, but possible if you watch the opponent and catch him in a vulnerable position. Watch for him to dangle or go for a pass. These are the equivalent of catching a guy with his head down in real life. If you see a player try to make a move, hit him while he is in the middle of his dangle. As a guy is making a pass, or shortly after he passes, hit him. There's a chance he will whiff on the pass, and even if he does make the pass, he will be out of the play for a few seconds.

For the rest of the time on defense, always keep yourself in between the puck and the net. That is the golden rule. As long as there is a body between the opposing player with the puck and the net, there will be no shooting lane for him, and it will force him to make a play. Poke check is your friend, too. Stay in front of the opponent and try to poke the puck off his stick rather than going for the big hit all the time.

Offensively, keeping possession for as long as possible in the zone is key in this game. Try dumping the puck in and chasing it if you haven't been doing so. This has always been my go-to strategy in hockey video games, and is a textbook play in real life too. Try some behind the net play as well, keeping the puck for as long as you can and passing towards the center when you see a man open. This will open up more opportunities for you, and your goals should start feeling more like skill than luck.

Finally, watch some real hockey yourself and emulate what they do, especially on offense. Real tactics work pretty well in this game. Good Luck!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »