Home

NHL 18 Trial Available For EA Access Subscribers, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NHL 18 Trial Available For EA Access Subscribers, Post Your Impressions Here within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: NHL 18 Trial Available For EA Access Subscribers, Post Your Impressions Here

I will be streaming the game for the next few hours on mixer @ https://mixer.com/fogboundturtle You are welcome to stop by.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #66
MVP

OVR: 6
Re: NHL 18 Trial Available For EA Access Subscribers, Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamuelsvt
Alright where to start with my initial thoughts after playing a couple hours last night simply only playing offline games in play now:

I'm a sim player who only plays offline. I typically play on PS4 and played the beta on the PRO. The beta seemed to pop on my OLED 4K C7, playing on XBOX one S, the game looked rough, honestly. Was surprised by that. This game is not a looker at all. Frostbite engine did wonders for Madden. Going from Madden to this, yikes. Menu speeds are pretty bad as well. When you play Madden you IMMEDIATELY notice how great it looks especially in 4K, this game, eh. Just my opinion. Also noticed frame-rate issues at the beginning of the faceoff once the puck is dropped.

Presentation/Audio. Besides some new camera angles before faceoffs and new goal replays that we all saw in the beta that look good, it is pretty much exactly the same as last year and the year before. Commentary was tweaked on goal calls to "attempt" to make Doc sound more excited, when all they did was insert his loud "score" that was used for a minute left in the 3rd, into other situations throughout the game. Eddie is the exact same word for word and Ray may have the exact same lines as well(dont quote me on that, but everything sounds verbatim) *edited just watched Millenimum's twitch game and Ray talked about Austin Matthews* The added some new, updated goal horns, however the same ones that have been wrong for years, Minnesota and Florida, are wrong again. I know someone that has been working with the audio guy on this and they are trying to fix the right ones.

It appears EA went all out on presentation with NHL 15 and 16 because they have not really updated commentary lines, graphics, etc since. Was hoping for more. Really disappointed with the commentary. In other games you'll AT LEAST hear some new lines. Everything is pretty much the exact same so far and that is inexcusable.

Gameplay: Defensive Skill Stick is a good addition. Takes time to get a hold of, but it's a good tool that was added to help improve defense. The AI is improved in some areas definitely. They use the boards to pass now! I got dangled as well by the AI which was great to see. The changes are under the hood and don't hit you at first because they are simple hockey plays that they should be and should have been doing all along. I typically play on All-Star Sim and I got my *** handed to be as the Avalanche against the Canucks my first play through which was good to see. Then played as the Hawks vs. Canucks and scored 3 goals in the first period. I liked that. Looks like perhaps the players play to their ratings? I tried deeking with Kane and he was far superior to a 4th line player for example. The 4th line player lost the puck.

AI however STILL does unbelievable, things that makes you scratch your head on how they do some of the moves they do. The turning into the boards and quick turns, etc are eyesores. The skating engine really needs work. You have to be careful not to chase the puck, as if you do, the AI will absolutely punish you with the high slot or backdoor one timer. Have pretty much seen the same old goals.

Very disappointed to not really see any goalie improvements/ new animations. Look exactly the same as the past couple of years. The stances etc are cosmetic like last year, but they all play the same.

Puck pickups are tough and they really need to work on this. We said this last year as well.

All in all, I'd say this is more of a refined of the same game we have seen over the years, with some better AI and defensive skill stick, and new skill stick moves, which are nice.

I don't play 3s and may only play a couple of times.

Need to play more, but these are my initial constructive opinions on NHL 18 so far.

ALSO, sliders, i have NOT touched these at all. Perhaps this can help with some of the issues.

There is probably a day 1 patch coming too to help fix any issues. I noticed there was a gameplay update last night. Not sure what it did.
This is a very good assessment. It is pretty spot on with mine. Guys you need to keep in mind the NHL dept gets screwed on resources over the other EA games each year. So the improvements will be more incremental. There are lots of things that still need to be improved/added. We can only hope for a NBA2k list one day. That said, the game has definitely improved. Anyone who says differently either has not played or is not being honest. Are the improvements enough to buy the game. For me..yes. You'll have to decide that. But bashing just for the sake of bashing in repeat posts doesn't accomplish much.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #67
MVP

ricky24's Arena

OVR: 0

Threes is fun. It's all I've played so far. There are major frame rate issues though.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #68
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich
This is a very good assessment. It is pretty spot on with mine. Guys you need to keep in mind the NHL dept gets screwed on resources over the other EA games each year. So the improvements will be more incremental. There are lots of things that still need to be improved/added. We can only hope for a NBA2k list one day. That said, the game has definitely improved. Anyone who says differently either has not played or is not being honest. Are the improvements enough to buy the game. For me..yes. You'll have to decide that. But bashing just for the sake of bashing in repeat posts doesn't accomplish much.
You know what I'm not buying the money and resources defense anynore and I was one that threw that around as well so I'm not calling anyone out. I understand that hockey doesn't rank along with other sports in popularity but it has grown in popularity by leaps and bounds since the EA NHL series came out it in the early 90s and EA No longer has to competie with 2K for sales. The problem as I see it is a development crew that doesn't truly understand the sport and uses its resources poorly. I'm not even talking about the 3 on 3 I'm talking about wasting time Mascots, Mascot creator, Arena creator, 2 Dozen idiotic goal celebrations, and Fancy dekes before working on 5 man celebration, intelligent line matching, roster share, updated commentary, and AI improvement. I honestly feel as if Rammer and the crew have a genuine distaste for the hardcore hockey fan. Bottom line is they have ignored the wishes of the sim hockey community for many years so if sales are not good maybe it's time to listen to us...they can't do any worse.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #69
MVP

shogunofharlem3's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
Oooooo...that's a great question. Didn't check - I'll do that later today.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Operation Sports mobile app
Any update on this?
Old 09-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #70
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3
Any update on this?
You can not do it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Operation Sports mobile app

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 09-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #71
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_tedesco
There is no Division realignment in Expansion Mode. You Always start in the Central Division. Very disappointing to me.
This is supposed to be added in through the release day patch. Otherwise, yea, very dissapointing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #72
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32

On the fence after playing with some slider adjustments

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »