Home

How's your franchise mode going? NHL 18

This is a discussion on How's your franchise mode going? NHL 18 within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
eFootball PES 2020 Demo Arrives on July 30, Details Here
EA Access Coming to PlayStation 4 on July 24
What We Learned About the New QB Throwing Styles in Madden 20

Old 08-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #609
Rookie

Godzillaboss300's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How's your franchise mode going? NHL 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzillaboss300
I brought back the Cleveland Barons back and one the Stanley Cup.
We had 95 points and had a bunch of scrubs on my team
Old 08-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #610
Rookie

Godzillaboss300's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzillaboss300
We had 95 points and had a bunch of scrubs on my team
Red wings
Old 08-01-2018, 10:05 PM   #611
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

I gave up on it. Deleted the game off my PS4 and I'm done. No fun. Not worth my time. I'm thinking that video games just might not be my thing anymore... I'm a dinosaur offline gamer, and I'm not the intended audience any longer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #612
Rookie

Shadak's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
I gave up on it. Deleted the game off my PS4 and I'm done. No fun. Not worth my time. I'm thinking that video games just might not be my thing anymore... I'm a dinosaur offline gamer, and I'm not the intended audience any longer.
I felt the same way, had to go back to NHL11 on 360 which is the last fun NHL I played. Not trusting 19 either unfortunately
Old 02-12-2019, 11:16 AM   #613
Just started!

*disclaimer: this is of course fiction and the result of entirely too much time spent watching tv, playing video games and whatnot*

NHL ANNOUNCES EXPANSION AND RELOCATIONS NARROWLY AVOIDING LOCKOUT

5 March 2017

This fall the NHL will welcome not only the Vegas Golden Knights but also the Seattle Wizards into the fold! This was presented at the conclusion of a special Board of Governors meeting, after which a joint statement was read NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman. The Seattle Wizards and Vegas Golden Knights will both play in the Western Conference's Pacific Division.

Relocations galore as league tries to keep fans

Along with this expansion (the third two-team expansion of the league since the 1992/93 season), the Arizona Coyotes and Carolina Hurricanes have announced the relocation of their teams. Owners of both teams have been quoted as citing a lack of interest in their markets as major reasons for these moves. The Arizona Coyotes will move just over 1,000 miles and one division to the East, to become the Houston Cowboys, while maintaining their currently color scheme. The Carolina Hurricanes' move has been greeted with spontaneous celebrations, as they become the Quebec Pioneers, putting and end to the suffering of the hardcore Quebecois ice hockey fans.
The other surprise came from the Ottawa Senators, who amidst a flurry of off-ice distractions, have now announced moving to Hamilton, Ont. to become the Hamilton Bulldogs. Now former-owner Eugene Melnyk declined to comment on the move.

Although not moving divisions the New York Islanders are hoping to put their Brooklyn years behind them by moving the Belmont Park Arena just in time for their home opener on October 21st against the New Jersey Devils.

"We believe that with [John] Tavares committing to us, we can build a team that can bring the glory back to Long Island, and we want to emphasize this by moving closer to where it all began" Islanders GM Gart Snow said during a brief media scrum following the announcements.

Not moving an inch but revamping their identity, the Colorado Avalanche will try to shake of the rust that came after the glory years, and will start play as the Denver Grizzlies.

"We feel the time was right to move away from the somewhat outdated color scheme, and go in a direction we feel appeals more to sportsfans in all of Colorado." Grizzlies GM Joe Sakic said.

Realignment

Following this whirlwind of expansion and relocation, the NHL will start it's centennial season with the following conferences and divisions:

Western Conference

Pacific Division:
Anaheim Ducks
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
San Jose Sharks
Vancouver Canucks
Vegas Golden Knights
Seattle Wizards

Expectations:
"The Pacific Division could be a power house, or they could be the closest thing to the German Bundesliga. The Oilers should start playing like a team with the best player in the world, while the Golden Knights and Wizards should at least provide some entertainment and a good outlook"
- Ken Campbell, Hockey News

Central Division:
Chicago Blackhawks
Dallas Stars
Detroit Red Wings
Denver Grizzlies
Houston Cowboys
Minnesota Wild
St. Louis Blues
Winnipeg Jets

Expectations:
"The toughest division in hockey, just got easier, with Nashville shifting over to the East. Detroit moves back to the west, so we can look forward to a rivalry with Chicago again! We still pick the Jets as the 2019 Stanley Cup champs, by the way"
- Ken Campbell, Hockey News

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division:
Boston Bruins
Florida Panthers
Nashville Predators
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Quebec Pioneers
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals

Expectations:
"I really enjoy Nashville moving to the east next season. Along with Pittsburgh, Washington and Tampa Bay this is definitely going to be the new Central Division in terms of how tough it will be to make the playoffs"
- Ryan Kennedy, Hockey News

Metropolitan Division:
Buffalo Sabres
Columbus Blue Jackets
Hamilton Bulldogs
Montreal Canadiens
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Toronto Maple Leafs

Expectations:
"The compact nature of this division could be the recipe for some fierce rivalries, I mean all the teams are literally within a 400-mile radius from Buffalo! It's going to be intense and heated, for sure!"
- Matt Larkin, Hockey News

"Fresh Gear"

Both new teams are looking to create a splash with their uniforms, Vegas Golden Knights going with black/dark grey, gold and red, while the Seattle Wizards will go with Purple/Gold and white.

Building the new teams

The Seattle Wizards will be allowed to assemble a roster during the second leg of an expansion draft, where they select a player from each of the NHL's current 30 teams. The same rules of player protection will apply to both newcomers, but Vegas gets Day 1, while the Seattle Wizards will look to fill their initial roster on June 20th, 2 days before the NHL Entry Draft takes place in Chicago.

"Vegas and Seattle will draft at least 14 forwards, 9 defensemen and 3 goalies, where Vegas will build their initial roster on June 19th, with Seattle following suit on the 20th" Gary Bettman told reporters "and they will enter the draft lottery, which will be conducted on April 26th, with the same odds as the teams that finished ranked 17th through 25th during the regular season"

Neither the commissioner nor the Board of Governors members were able or willing to comment on what sparked this sudden and rapid change, other than 'an ultimatum' by the NHLPA. The NHLPA has, at the time of writing, not responded to our requests for a comment.

---To be continued---
Old 02-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #614
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonoraryCanuck
*disclaimer: this is of course fiction and the result of entirely too much time spent watching tv, playing video games and whatnot*

NHL ANNOUNCES EXPANSION AND RELOCATIONS NARROWLY AVOIDING LOCKOUT

5 March 2017

This fall the NHL will welcome not only the Vegas Golden Knights but also the Seattle Wizards into the fold! This was presented at the conclusion of a special Board of Governors meeting, after which a joint statement was read NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman. The Seattle Wizards and Vegas Golden Knights will both play in the Western Conference's Pacific Division.

Building the new teams

The Seattle Wizards will be allowed to assemble a roster during the second leg of an expansion draft, where they select a player from each of the NHL's current 30 teams. The same rules of player protection will apply to both newcomers, but Vegas gets Day 1, while the Seattle Wizards will look to fill their initial roster on June 20th, 2 days before the NHL Entry Draft takes place in Chicago.

"Vegas and Seattle will draft at least 14 forwards, 9 defensemen and 3 goalies, where Vegas will build their initial roster on June 19th, with Seattle following suit on the 20th" Gary Bettman told reporters "and they will enter the draft lottery, which will be conducted on April 26th, with the same odds as the teams that finished ranked 17th through 25th during the regular season"

---To be continued---
So after the dust had settled and Pittsburgh claimed their second Stanley Cup by dismantling future divisional rival Nashville Predators, the time had come to start picking. The expansion draft. Leading up to the expansion draft there were two schools of thought. Interestingly both expansion teams followed one of these 'methods'.

Vegas Golden Knights
We all know what happened here. George McPhee was the one to use his vast amounts of cap space as an asset, taking on big bad contracts, in exchange for some pretty darn good draft picks, while also grabbing some roster players that would not have been given the time of day with their current teams.

Seattle Wizards
The Seattle Wizards took the different route; picking players that would be easy to 'flip' (back) and focussing on the future. This was of course helped by their very favorable draft position; 2nd overall.

Expansion Draft
ANA - Sami Vatanen
BOS - Drew Stafford
BUF - Zach Bogosian
CGY - Eric Poirier
CHI - Ville Pokka
CBJ - Joonas Korpisalo
DEN - Matt Nieto
DAL - *don't remember*
DET - Jimmy Howard
EDM - Mark Letestu
FLA - Jason Demers
HAM - Ryan Dzingel
HOU - Jason Demers (I know)
LA - Alec Martinez
MIN - Jonas Brodin
MTL - Patrick Danault
NJ - Devante Smith-Pelly
NYI - Thomas Hickey
NYR - Michael Grabner
NSH - Mattias Ekholm
PIT - Ian Cole
QUE - Joakim Nordstrom
PHI - Scott Laughton
SJ - Brenden Dillon
STL - Patrick Berglund
TB - Cedric Paquette
TOR - Connor Brown
WSH - Philip Grubauer
VAN - Ryan Miller
WPG - Tyler Myers

NHL Entry Draft
2nd pick, yo! THat means Nolan! I love building my franchise around Nolan, so let's let Philadelphia go first and pick Nico Hischier, then I pick Nolan Patrick, and then I get to work!

My strategy with this franchise; make sure I get to have every even pick in the first 2 rounds, figuratively, of course. So that means trading the following players for picks (and just picks):

Jason Demers
Jason Demers (what, I didn't make myself clear, Jason?!)
Alec Martinez (12th overall pick for Alec and a 6th rounder!)
Jimmy Howard
Mattias Ekholm (23rd overall pick and Edmonton 3rd rounder!)
Ville Pokka

Other 'notable trades':

Got Jaromir Jagr for sentimental reasons.
Got Daniel Sprong not because I'm a chauvinist but he actually matures into a goal scoring animal.
Got Pierre-Luc Dubois

Trades I really remember;

MTL receives:
C Patrick Danault

SEA receives:
LW Jacob de la Rose
LW Stefan Matteau
2017 3rd round draft pick

EDM receives:
C Mark Letestu

SEA receives:
C Juhjar Khaira
2017 4th and 5th round draft picks

After the dust settled I was left holding 14 draft picks, a bunch of prospects, and some pending UFA's.

With the 12th overall pick, I picked G Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen. My other first round picks were used to pick; RW Nick Henry and D Timothy Liljegren.

Other notable picks are:
C Jack Studnicka
C Jake Kryski
LW Alexander Wingerli
RW Jonas Røndbjerg

D Connor Timmins
D Nick Hague

G Jordan Hollett

Fast forward

Since I decided to focus on the future, I was not too active during Free Agency. I signed G Michael Leighton to be my AHL goalie. LW Fabian Haberstich because he always develops so well. Other signings were;

C Austin Czarnik
LW Mikko Partanen
RW Ty Rattie
RW Joe Blandisi

I did however pry Andrei Burakovsky from the Capitals for just a 2nd round pick, by offering him a one-year US$ 3.925 mio contract!

Full roster, time to get going.

2017-18 season

I got things going with the following line-up:

Michael Grabner - Nolan Patrick - Jaromir Jagr
Nick Kerdiles - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Andrei Burakovsky
- Dzingel - Ryan Callahan
- Andrighetto

Extra FWD:
Daniel Sprong

Vatanen - Brodin
Myers - Hickey
Bogosian - Gorges

7th D: Cody Franson

Ryan Miller
Joonas Korpisalo

*Gotta run! Update later*
Old 02-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #615
Just started!

So after the dust had settled and Pittsburgh claimed their second Stanley Cup by dismantling future divisional rival Nashville Predators, the time had come to start picking. The expansion draft. Leading up to the expansion draft there were two schools of thought. Interestingly both expansion teams followed one of these 'methods'.

Vegas Golden Knights
We all know what happened here. George McPhee was the one to use his vast amounts of cap space as an asset, taking on big bad contracts, in exchange for some pretty darn good draft picks, while also grabbing some roster players that would not have been given the time of day with their current teams.

Seattle Wizards
The Seattle Wizards took the different route; picking players that would be easy to 'flip' (back) and focussing on the future. This was of course helped by their very favorable draft position; 2nd overall.
Let's take a look at the expansion draft result for Seattle;

Expansion Draft
ANA - Sami Vatanen
BOS - Drew Stafford
BUF - Zach Bogosian
CGY - Eric Poirier
CHI - Ville Pokka
CBJ - Joonas Korpisalo
DAL - Antoine Roussel
DEN - Matt Nieto
DET - Jimmy Howard
EDM - Mark Letestu