Home

Help with Faceoffs & Penalties when Shooting

This is a discussion on Help with Faceoffs & Penalties when Shooting within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2017, 08:37 PM   #9
Rookie

CaptainSuperman's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Help with Faceoffs & Penalties when Shooting

So say you're a right handed player, when you take a wrist shot, a forehand shot, you circle the (controller) stick to the right. So if you go into a faceoff with your stick to the right, that is your forehand. Notice the posture of your player, cause they look kind of hunched over. When the opponent is backhand, they will have the top of their glove facing out towards you, rather than the palm. But imagine it like this. If they are backhand, they are in a position where if you were to push them, their hand could let go of the stick and be ready to push you back. So that is when you go for a stick lift (up on the right stick). If they are in forehand, with their stick down in a position where they could easily shoot, their wrist is facing up, so if you push up on the left stick, again going to push them, they won't be in a position ready to push back, and you would win that.

So that is the rock/paper/scissors of it all, however, you will always have good odds of winning if going backhand and win it to your defenseman. So remember backhand faceoff is the same as a backhand shot for that player

Last edited by CaptainSuperman; 10-20-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #10
Pro

spoofrice11's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSuperman
So say you're a right handed player, when you take a wrist shot, a forehand shot, you circle the (controller) stick to the right. So if you go into a faceoff with your stick to the right, that is your forehand. Notice the posture of your player, cause they look kind of hunched over. When the opponent is backhand, they will have the top of their glove facing out towards you, rather than the palm. But imagine it like this. If they are backhand, they are in a position where if you were to push them, their hand could let go of the stick and be ready to push you back. So that is when you go for a stick lift (up on the right stick). If they are in forehand, with their stick down in a position where they could easily shoot, their wrist is facing up, so if you push up on the left stick, again going to push them, they won't be in a position ready to push back, and you would win that.

So that is the rock/paper/scissors of it all, however, you will always have good odds of winning if going backhand and win it to your defenseman. So remember backhand faceoff is the same as a backhand shot for that player
Thanks for the breakdown!
I will try to watch for those things on the computer players.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #11
Pro

spoofrice11's Arena

Man, I am still struggling to win faceoffs (seem to be doing even worse now).

I can't see what grip the cpu player is doing most of the time (my guy/ref block him and it's hard to see the grip until too late).

Any other tips? Thanks!

- PS, I thought somewhere I heard there were Tutorials, but I'm not seeing that anywhere.

Last edited by spoofrice11; 10-25-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2017, 08:04 PM   #12
Rookie

CaptainSuperman's Arena

Honestly the only thing I can think of is if you're putting your stick down too early, cause I will lose 100% of the time I have my stick down as soon as I can or when the ref seems to wait to drop the puck
Old 10-25-2017, 09:26 PM   #13
Rookie

Atticusxj's Arena

If I go backhand I pull back right when the ref drops the puck. Using my forehand I start early like when I start to see his arm move. I can't seem to do a stick lift and I'm about 50/50 with the tie up. Overall I'd say I'm about 65 to 70 percent.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #14
Pro

spoofrice11's Arena

Are there any Tutorials for this game. I didn't see that as a category in the game modes.

Because I can't tell what faceoff the opponent is doing so even with good timing by randomly doing forehand & backhand, I only win like 20% of faceoffs on Pro.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #15
Pro

spoofrice11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoofrice11
Are there any Tutorials for this game. I didn't see that as a category in the game modes.

Because I can't tell what faceoff the opponent is doing so even with good timing by randomly doing forehand & backhand, I only win like 20% of faceoffs on Pro.
Are there any Tutorials for this game? I thought I saw someone mention there was, somewhere.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2017, 01:38 PM   #16
MVP

johnnyg83's Arena

OVR: 9

Just pick forehand or backhand (R1 left or right) randomly and push up when the puck is dropped, timing it with the refs arm drop. You don't necessarily "win" the faceoff but you push the defender off the puck and your teammate goes and gets it.

You won't win every faceoff, but you'll start winning the puck at a higher percentage than 0/10.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »