Home

What in the world is happening with sliders?

This is a discussion on What in the world is happening with sliders? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
Banned

TheBuddyHobbs's Arena

OVR: 1
What in the world is happening with sliders?

They seem to not be working or at least not making the impact it should. I put CPU passing at 0 and they still get 80-90% passing percentage. I have penalties turned all the way up to 100, but rarely seeing them.

When the game first came out sliders worked great. I put penalties at 65 to test and they were called all the time. What's going on?!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
Rookie

Chiefaho's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What in the world is happening with sliders?

After that first patch, many parts of the offline game seem broken. I'm getting the same issues you are; extremely high AI passing even with the CPU passing slider set to 0, no penalties with them on 4/4 and CPU/AI teammate penalties both set to 100. Hopefully this will be fixed. EA seems to do this every year to this series, they release the game mostly broken in the offline aspect, then break the few parts that actually work with patches after the initial release of the game. They pay no actual attention to offline play, all of the tweaks they make are done with online mode in mind.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #3
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefaho
After that first patch, many parts of the offline game seem broken. I'm getting the same issues you are; extremely high AI passing even with the CPU passing slider set to 0, no penalties with them on 4/4 and CPU/AI teammate penalties both set to 100. Hopefully this will be fixed. EA seems to do this every year to this series, they release the game mostly broken in the offline aspect, then break the few parts that actually work with patches after the initial release of the game. They pay no actual attention to offline play, all of the tweaks they make are done with online mode in mind.
Yeah, the passing engine seems broken. If you get hemmed into your own end, you're in big trouble. Also finding that I'll step over the blue line, try to make a pass, and it ends up ending back in the neutral zone, or even my own end.

Does anyone find the skating engine to be an issue? It may just be me, but if I boost and try to go wide, my guy ends up trying to stop himself.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
Rookie

Chiefaho's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7
Does anyone find the skating engine to be an issue? It may just be me, but if I boost and try to go wide, my guy ends up trying to stop himself.
I don't think it's just you, the engine used for the next-gen game does not fit well in my opinion either. In past installments skating was fluid, fast and just felt good. Controlling a player feels soooo clunky now and, like in your situation, the skating can be very unresponsive/counter-intuitive to what you want to be doing. The skating sliders don't really help either. It feels like the devs are basing the skating off of what an average person who doesn't skate often would experience playing hockey, rather than what controlling an elite NHL athlete should feel like.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:19 AM   #5
Rookie

jaibubwan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuddyHobbs
I put penalties at 65 to test and they were called all the time. What's going on?!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Operation Sports mobile app
Agree with you on penalties. Been working on custom sliders myself. I have it at 100, but the computer takes perhaps two the entire game (10 minute periods).

Though I have some theories about this.

I notice my computer team-mates also take an average of two penalties a game. Many users may not notice this, because they are causing so many human penalties with their sloppy play...they feel like the AI is lopsided against them.

The low computer (opponent & team-mate) penalties could be the result of two factors:

- Penalty time scaling: If you've condensed playing time, but not condensed the penalty time scale...perhaps the AI makes a calculation not to dole out too many penalties. Its reasoning would be that it's not "realistic" to have half the period (or more) consumed by special teams play. So it essentially sacrifices penalties for more realistic stats.

- Individual penalty sliders: Most slider editors only modify the "CPU Penalties" slider. But ignore the individual penalty sliders (elbowing, hooking, etc.). Those are typically left at 50/50 for both Human & CPU. I wonder if increasing these for the CPU would cause the ref to call the computer more for those specific infractions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2017, 05:46 AM   #6
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

Increase individual penalty sliders and you will see more calls.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 11-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefaho
I don't think it's just you, the engine used for the next-gen game does not fit well in my opinion either. In past installments skating was fluid, fast and just felt good. Controlling a player feels soooo clunky now and, like in your situation, the skating can be very unresponsive/counter-intuitive to what you want to be doing. The skating sliders don't really help either. It feels like the devs are basing the skating off of what an average person who doesn't skate often would experience playing hockey, rather than what controlling an elite NHL athlete should feel like.
Embarrassing news. Apparently my controller was dropped recently, by some idiot (me...), and for some reason up on the left stick wasn't working properly. Switched to an older controller last night (This one has a sticky X button), and it worked a lot better. Still definitely issues with the skating and passing engines for sure, but not as bad as I had previously thought.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7
Also finding that I'll step over the blue line, try to make a pass, and it ends up ending back in the neutral zone, or even my own end.

This is probably the most infuriating thing about the game. Makes odd-man rushes almost impossible at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »