Home

Nhl an afterthought

This is a discussion on Nhl an afterthought within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Nhl an afterthought

Why does the nhl series get so little attention.I don't think it's just money.I think it's laziness as well.Its the last to get anything,story mode,frostbite engine and now xbox one x enhanced patch.No player likeness updates like Madden.A young stars focused edition that has no young stars play by play.They added commentary for thanksgiving but no mention of Matthews or Laine.I would be embarrassed if I was them.I have been playing the game since 92 and love it but I think they have become very lazy since they have no competition.Overall I think the game is great just the neglect I don't like.Have a great day.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
Rookie

jaibubwan's Arena

Re: Nhl an afterthought

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy
A young stars focused edition that has no young stars play by play.They added commentary for thanksgiving but no mention of Matthews or Laine.I would be embarrassed if I was them
The game's fine, far as Franchise Mode goes (which is what I play). However, I do think they need to think strategically about commentary. I think they're in a bind with Eddie Olczyk getting sick & Doc being so old. Looks like neither can be "on-call" to update things.

In fact, they should probably avoid "currently serving" commentators altogether, just because of the scheduling burden. Hire some youngish (meaning under 50, but still mature), independent commentators. Guys you can have "on-call" to update as needed.

I'd rather have no-name commentators who say my players names, than celebrities with half-*** dialogue.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

OVR: 2

No, it's just about money. EA is a publicly traded company and there number one goal is to make money. Their business model or business philosophy has nothing to do with making "the best video game" it has to do with making the most money.

They could throw more resources at the NHL series because they have other titles that turn huge profits, but they're not going to budge on that profit margin.

Some people think this could cost them in the long run, but favoring hype over quality has been working for them for a long time. It's also been working for a lot of other publishers that churn out AAA games.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscosuper
No, it's just about money. EA is a publicly traded company and there number one goal is to make money. Their business model or business philosophy has nothing to do with making "the best video game" it has to do with making the most money.

They could throw more resources at the NHL series because they have other titles that turn huge profits, but they're not going to budge on that profit margin.

Some people think this could cost them in the long run, but favoring hype over quality has been working for them for a long time. It's also been working for a lot of other publishers that churn out AAA games.
Totally agree with Roscosuper. It is absolutely, 100%, about the money. If the sales justified (and required) more innovation, or better quality, it would be done. Since the NHL series sells far fewer copies than Madden or FIFA, the resources are likely going to be allocated accordingly.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #5
Rookie

BannaCricket's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
Totally agree with Roscosuper. It is absolutely, 100%, about the money. If the sales justified (and required) more innovation, or better quality, it would be done. Since the NHL series sells far fewer copies than Madden or FIFA, the resources are likely going to be allocated accordingly.
Everyone here has made excellent points. EA is a business, and will always make decisions that will yield the most profits. You can't blame them for that. It's a romantic notion to think that the customer comes first, but that just isn't case.

I realize I am in the minority, because I only play the Season mode. I like to make real-world transactions, and make my experience mirror the NHL, and the other leagues I play, as close as possible. I'm happy with the game. As long as EA gives me new rosters to start with each year, and updates the unis, I'm happy with the status quo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2017, 06:10 PM   #6
Rookie

CaptainSuperman's Arena

Please, no story mode, ever. As far as Frostbite, I think it's probably in development throughout the years, like how the new puck physics was a few years back, it's just that it took them this long to get this far with this engine.

But out of Madden, Fifa, NHL, and NBA Live, hockey is the least popular sport. It gets viewed the least, sells the least, and in games will get the least resources
Old 11-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSuperman
But out of Madden, Fifa, NHL, and NBA Live, hockey is the least popular sport. It gets viewed the least, sells the least, and in games will get the least resources
Absolutely, and I think this is the main issue. But it's a shame; the two best sports imo for video gaming have to be hockey and baseball. I don't even like baseball in RL, and I love playing bball and other sports games - they just don't compare to the perfection that is hockey and baseball. The speed of hockey and the intensity, plus hitting and fighting... the game is just perfectly designed to satisfy any adrenaline junkie's appetite. If AAA-release hockey gaming ever dies it'll be a sad day.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Bottom line is EA makes a fortune with HUT. I’ve played against guys who have teams that could only be achievable so quickly by spending hundreds of dollars on packs and cards. As long as they have this kind of success all the other modes will NEVER EVER get the attention they need. Can you blame them? If they made the game I want they sell the game and make $60 a copy but with HUT and idiots spending a few hundred dollars on packs EA makes about $460 a copy maybe more....us hockey sim fans are screwed

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »