Home

I am Fed up

This is a discussion on I am Fed up within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
I am Fed up

I really hate to start this post but I feel it needs to be said and i encourage others to post there complaints in this thread as well and ask to please not close it. this is not intended to bash the Company who made the game but something needs to be said.

let me start by saying i have bought every NHL game your company has made
so i supported you thru the good and the bad .

i really enjoyed nhl 17 at this moment in Time i feel it is a better playing offline game than any version out there. when i bought your youngster edition this year it was to play it early , myself i do not care for any online modes I am a offline franchise mode person. the game played well and there were penalties
now i play on allstar level and i find that this years game is impossible to play
the computer passes the puck around like a pinball bouncing off the bumpers
its impossible to defend and when you do get the puck back you seem to be facing the wrong way everytime and when you do try to turn around its stolen back to the cpu Ai very frustrating when you have 10 turnovers in 5 seconds , i do not like the yours mine your mine your mine yours mine all within seconds its not realistic in anyway.

your company i feel needs new direction when nhl 18 compared to 17 i do not see anything new really. the center ice logo shows scratched ice when the ref drops the puck at the start of each period and after the puck is won and you see the ice and the center logo untouched, i know its a little detail but come on what do you do with your spare time.

the Goalie Masks are basically the same masks for 10 years now you do not change them and we can not create any there is no personal customization to your game no roster sharing no nothing, your main focus is only gimic after market sales with getting cards to play online how ******** why would i spend money on something i can only use online. i find it hard to swallow paying for things beyond buying the game.

there is no emotion to the game players need to show expressions of frustration or joy and i do not know about you but why can you not make the game feel like a complete T.V Presentation with Tons of stat overlays
and many camera angles to choose from, those jumbotrons could be used for replays, and if you have multiple E.A Games why can you not import songs from your other games.

there is no 4k support or hdr the graphics this years are a sharper image but overall your game play models lack definition the goales are all the same size 6 feet 4 goalies are the same size as 5 foot 10 lol how laughable

the games sliders for penalties do not work , if you set it to 100 i would expect every play to be a penalty , and please hire more people to do face scans, until i see major improvements for offline play and support for offline play with tuner updates or gameplay updates i am shelving NHL 18 at its current state the game is unplayable for offline play. i never complain but this needs to be fixed you doing nothing means you do not give a hoot about offline play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: I am Fed up

Lots of the same stuff we have complained about for years..

3 options...

1) Don't buy it.
2) Buy it on sale around now for half off.
3) Accept it for what it is and enjoy some NHL arcade action with simulation elements tossed in.

I chose option 3 years upon years ago. NHL will never receive any love like Madden and or Fifa. Include NBA 2K and MLB The Show as well.

Penalties, I get 3-7 per game with the main penalty sliders maxed and the individual ones left at default. This seems to be hit and miss for some though. I'm think its tied to other slider adjustments outside of the penalty ones.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 11-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

The most frustrating thing is that this game can be fun at times. I wish it weren’t it would be so easy to just walk away from it. Despite its myriad of problems EA is closer than they think to releases a good game. That is the other frustrating thing, most of what’s wrong with this game and the things people want are not unreasonable or undoable. I’m sorry to sound like a basher but I really do feel EA only cares about HUT. Just look at what they did with their in the works Star Wars title. It started a single player story mode based game but EA closed the studio working on it and moved the projects to EA Vancouver where the focus will shift to make it a pay to play type game.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
The most frustrating thing is that this game can be fun at times. I wish it weren’t it would be so easy to just walk away from it. Despite its myriad of problems EA is closer than they think to releases a good game. That is the other frustrating thing, most of what’s wrong with this game and the things people want are not unreasonable or undoable. I’m sorry to sound like a basher but I really do feel EA only cares about HUT. Just look at what they did with their in the works Star Wars title. It started a single player story mode based game but EA closed the studio working on it and moved the projects to EA Vancouver where the focus will shift to make it a pay to play type game.
Your first line is what frustrates me as well. This game can be good. There are few instances where you play a game with sliders and think, "Finally found a good set and love this game!" Then it takes a nose dive and all the issues appear the next few games. Seems to be one good game, and quite a few bad games.

EA has proven time and time again they only care about quantity and not quality. As you said, they're focus has been on HUT and pushing that on us until we can't breathe.

They've released patches, yes. But those patches don't seem to be addressing the issues everyone keeps talking about such as the penalties. There are no more excuses EA can use or anyone can use to defend them. People keep saying they don't have money for the series, or they have a small development team. In an interview with Rammer, he mentioned they had 250 people working on his EA NHL team. Makes you wonder if 1/250 were developers and the rest just bought the lunches.

Again, we get the ability to play with mascots, instead of fixing the gameplay, or fixing the numerous issues that have plagued this series.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #5
Rookie

I assure you that at least 200 of those 250 people works only on HUT.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #6
Rookie

Chiefaho's Arena

I'm fed up too. This game hasn't been fun in a long time. I have thought of posting a big thread of every little thing wrong with the game, but it wouldn't do anything. People are still gonna buy it day one every year and whine about how bad it is, while EA is already rolling in their money. If you want this garbage to actually change, you have to not buy this game. If you are OK with playing the game in the state it's in then that's no problem, continue enjoying it. However, I'm sure a large chunk of people who still buy NHL every year are people who only play the game for a couple weeks and hate the offline aspect but then say "It's the only hockey we have" or "I can't fight off the urge". If you really can't stop yourself from buying a $60 game that you know is going to be bad, then EA will never stop pumping out garbage. Honestly, I'd rather have no hockey game than a terrible one, and I love the sport of hockey to death.

The game used to make pretty significant changes every year and the base game itself was really fun. Then, at about NHL 11-12, the game started to stagnate BIG TIME. Coincidentally, I believe that is about the time that "Rammer" (yuck) took over. 11-14 were pretty much the same product. If you asked me to point out just one thing that changed with the game in that amount of time, I couldn't tell you. I bought NHL 15 on release and it was horrible. Really, NHL 15 is the kind of product that puts average companies out of business, but since EA is the only producer of hockey games, people still bought it. I bought NHL 16 pretty soon after release and it was not much better. It pretty much just added features that should have been in last year's game. I waited a bit and bought 17 for $45 and I felt completely ripped off. Got my money back for it in less than a month. I didn't even plan on playing NHL 18, but a friend gave it to me for free. I am just so dissapointed. Every single thing about this game is just wrong. I will give them one thing - the expansion mode is kinda neat. However, with gameplay this bad, I don't even care about features like this. EA NHL could have a franchise mode as deep as OOTP baseball, and I wouldn't care because the gameplay is just bad.

What's worse, sliders used to at least fix some problems, but now people aren't even sure how most of the sliders work. I used to be able to find some enjoyment in the game using Fiddy's and Tito's sliders, but now the sliders don't seem to even be effective. I also think there are WAY too many sliders, and a 1-100 scale is just not needed. 1-10 is a good scale, and we shouldn't need 10 different sliders to dictate things like how well goalies play, and how agile players are. Most of that should be addressed in the actual development of the game.

I wish a company like Sony San Diego (MLB:TS) would pick up hockey. The Show isn't perfect by any means but they make significant improvements every year (New ball physics make a big impact on gameplay in MLB'17) which is the reason I started playing the game in the first place. And if you don't like what you see coming in the next year's installment, they have roster sharing and decent player creation/editing in their games, so you can stick with a particular installment if you want and still have updated rosters & real looking players/equipment. I really respect that. I play tons of seasons in the game every year, and I don't even like baseball too much. The game just feels like it was made by people who love baseball, while EA NHL feels like it was made by suits who have never even been to an ice rink. Hockey is by far my favorite sport but I don't even want to bother starting a season with this game. Hell, it's to the point where I don't even feel like starting up a "Play Now" game once in a while.

Last edited by Chiefaho; 11-19-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:04 PM   #7
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzleroybrown
i play on allstar level and i find that this years game is impossible to play
the computer passes the puck around like a pinball bouncing off the bumpers
its impossible to defend and when you do get the puck back you seem to be facing the wrong way everytime and when you do try to turn around its stolen back to the cpu Ai very frustrating when you have 10 turnovers in 5 seconds , i do not like the yours mine your mine your mine yours mine all within seconds its not realistic in anyway.
Turn up the AGGRESSION slider to help with the pinball passing and for the turnover issue, turn up the Incidental Stick Contact Immunity slider to something like 20.

I agree though.. the game has really become stale for us offline franchise players.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Turn up the AGGRESSION slider to help with the pinball passing and for the turnover issue, turn up the Incidental Stick Contact Immunity slider to something like 20.

I agree though.. the game has really become stale for us offline franchise players.
Yeah, I really wish I could find a way to get into it. I've just given up for now. $60 can go towards things I know won't frustrate me and end up on the shelf after a month at best.
It sucks that my favorite sport's digital counterpart has become what it has...but I just can't justify wasting the money anymore hoping to fix the issues that have been bothering me forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »