Home

Rubber band effect(?)

This is a discussion on Rubber band effect(?) within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #9
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Rubber band effect(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Yep.. we can go on and on about the lack of innovation for the offline/franchise community of players. I keep going back to NHL Legacy on my x360 as it just plays a much better game of hockey to me and much less frustration.
I tried booting up NHL17 and just enjoying the World Cup of Hockey mode...and I just couldn't do it. Got through 2 periods before frustratedly turning it off. The AI is just brutal to try and babysit.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #10
Rookie

Chiefaho's Arena

OVR: 0

Just said this in another post, but I think the "Rubber Banding", "Comeback AI", "Scripting", whatever you want to call it is due to just god-awful game design. The EA NHL team should really be ashamed of themselves for putting such an awful product out each and every year.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:46 AM   #11
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefaho
Just said this in another post, but I think the "Rubber Banding", "Comeback AI", "Scripting", whatever you want to call it is due to just god-awful game design. The EA NHL team should really be ashamed of themselves for putting such an awful product out each and every year.
Sadly I don’t think they are ashamed but rather proud. They continue to make the sales they see as acceptable while making a killing in HUT card sales all while releasing an unfinished product lacking any innovation and minor meanigless additions. It’s been said a lot but it’s clearly evident that since HUT was introduced the rest of the game has seen little attention.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #12
MVP

actionhank's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBlue
It is also why the game plays differently in play now mode than it does in a franchise mode. Or if you notice how if you go into settings and adjust one slider and then move it back and save them it will reset the algorithms. The same happens if you exit the game completely and restart it.

But online is the worst. Nothing like completely outplaying your opponent and having the game keep them in it because of scripted bounces and overpowered AI help.

I have tons of screenshots from games where the stats read a 2-1 loss and I outshoot my opponent like 29-3 with time on attack 12 minutes to 1 and the goals scored against were just when they barely got it over the blue line and panicked and flicked it on net and my goalie goes into some dumb animation and it trickles in. Meanwhile, I am cycling low, high, feeding back-door one-timers, and getting constant breakaways and odd-man rushes, only to see an OP AI goalie have no push-off and go post-to-post multiple times and rob my players.

The speed boost if the most obvious and then the puck pickup and handling boost is the next, too. You finish the game and check your opponent's record and see that they were new or awful and because you have a high rating or rank you get screwed. But god forbid they let the better player succeed because they are more likely to buy the product again than a guy that can't accomplish anything each year.

Heck, I see people put down the controller when they are losing 4-0 rather than quitting the game, only to see their AI pick up a loose puck and stand there with it and I cannot poke it from them or knock them off the puck. How is that fair?
Stuff like that isn't really rubberbanding or anything like that...it's bad programming. The AI suffers from it a lot too. I've accidentally unpaused the game only to see my player standing still with the puck, and the AI doing nothing to get it. The AI in this game is just bad. There's been so little improvement to their basic skills. The poke checking seems entirely random sometimes, the AI player movement seems like it's cheating...but in actuality, it's just poorly programmed so players move in ways that are completely unrealistic.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #13
MVP

actionhank's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
Sadly I don’t think they are ashamed but rather proud. They continue to make the sales they see as acceptable while making a killing in HUT card sales all while releasing an unfinished product lacking any innovation and minor meanigless additions. It’s been said a lot but it’s clearly evident that since HUT was introduced the rest of the game has seen little attention.
I think there should be an important distinction made between EA's NHL team, and EA as their bosses. Like any job, there's only so much you can do. In my job, for instance, I might think that X software is terrible, or Y is a bad way to setup a server..and I can make my arguments known. But at the end of the day, when my bosses say "We're going this way" my choice if I don't like it is to suck it up and do it to the best of my ability, or find a new job.

I imagine EA's NHL team is in a similar spot. With how HUT and similar modes are marketed around all of EA's series, I wouldn't be shocked to find out that EA's marching orders are to maximize things that increase certain demographics (kids, less serious gamers, online games, etc) and keep them playing. For EA, it's all about what makes them the most money. EA the company likely doesn't care much about hockey, unless it's making them money (Just look at how they've handled the whole Battlefront issue...).

I'm sure EA's NHL team love hockey, and I am willing to bet a lot of them would love to change huge parts of the game. I know I work with servers every day that I would love to tear down and start fresh on. But, at the end of the day, I get my marching orders from a higher power. So I'm stuck with it.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #14
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Agree with above... my job is the same in the IT field. I have ways I can improve things.. but when the big boss says, this is how we are going to do this or that, we say OK boss.

In the end, they have to make money and HUT does that for them, so they spend significant time on that mode.

The bad part is.. they don't have the resources that say, Madden or FIFA has so they can only do so much. It just frustrates many of us who want a good offline, franchise mode.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:42 PM   #15
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Agree with above... my job is the same in the IT field. I have ways I can improve things.. but when the big boss says, this is how we are going to do this or that, we say OK boss.

In the end, they have to make money and HUT does that for them, so they spend significant time on that mode.

The bad part is.. they don't have the resources that say, Madden or FIFA has so they can only do so much. It just frustrates many of us who want a good offline, franchise mode.
What’s sad is it doesn’t appear they spent much time on HUT either. That mode has seen little in innovation or improvements just like the other modes. They just release a half finished game that’s more like a patch and collect the HUT dollars. Guess I cant blame them but it’s awful for real NHL fans. I feel like the NHL should be angry that EA represents their sport so poorly.

Last edited by jake19ny; 11-28-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2017, 07:44 PM   #16
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
What’s sad is it doesn’t appear they spent much time on HUT either. That mode has seen little in innovation or improvements just like the other modes. They just release a half finished game that’s more like a patch and collect the HUT dollars. Guess I cant blame them but it’s awful for real NHL fans. I feel like the NHL should be angry that EA represents their sport so poorly.
I think sports entities should give money to companies like EA so they can flesh out a top notch product, unless they already do that? I mean their name is on the product why wouldn't they contribute to help it succeed?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »