Home

Rubber band effect(?)

This is a discussion on Rubber band effect(?) within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-13-2017, 10:26 PM   #41
Rookie

ksteward84's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Rubber band effect(?)

So much pride when I mopped the floor with a team 6-0!!!

Then in another game I’m ahead 4-0 with 3 minutes left and it becomes 4-3, 6-3, 6-5, and finally 7-6. That’s 4 goals in the first 57 minutes and a flurry of 7 goals in the last 3 minutes?
College Football Revamped
Fire Pro Wrestling World
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2017, 02:08 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
I don't personally think it's in hardwired into the games programming, honestly. I'm 41 games into my Blues season and have experienced next to nothing like the things you guys have described.

I DO, however, believe that certain slider sets could lend themselves to what would be perceived as rubber banding. However, the way I have it set up, I simply just don't see it.

Also, proving it's there would require an awful lot of tests with more variables that you can shake a stick at to accommodate along the way. It's incredibly subjective. I haven't experienced come back AI issues in years, personally. Hard to get shutouts? Yeah, sure, but I'm on pace for 6 in my current season.

I think sliders effect this game dramatically.
I know, I'm late to the party here. But, I do agree. I think sliders definitely affect this "rubber band" feel. I have had quite a few games where I won with no problem.

I wish EA would chime in and give us more detail as to what the sliders affect and how they "domino" to other sliders. At least give us some sort of idea so we can adjust accordingly. When you read the description of some sliders, you get confused if it should be placed higher or lower. The wording of the sliders the can be confusing. However, each year someone asks EA for this information, EA goes silent.

Now, I'm not ruling out some sort of "rubber band AI". Heck, someone got into the code of the FIFA game on PC and found code that said something along the lines if the player is up by a goal or two, slow their speed down or something along those lines.

I understand EA wants the game to feel like "hockey", but hockey is an organic sport. Every game shouldn't feel the same. Every game I'm leading by 1-2 goals, I shouldn't be thinking the CPU is going to score with a minute left to make the game exciting. And this does happen more than not. Not every team in the real world, scores goals by pulling a goalie or with a minute left.

It happens, but not as much as it does in this game. EA should not be forcing this game to be fun. That is up to us as players and how we play the game.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:01 PM   #43
Rookie

A little off topic, but...Does this game feature a "live" functionality? For example, in Madden or MLB you can play a game that day, with up to date stats and commentary. Does this not exist in NHL 18? Unbelievable!!
Old 01-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #44
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinthFall
Why exactly does stuff like this happen when I'm leading?? Someone still wants to deny rubber band? Stupid AI? Please!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbw-HQJCPC4
Stuff like that happens when you're losing too. The game's AI is just not very good. It just sticks out more when you're losing your lead because of it. I've scored goals like that against the AI, and had them scored against me. It's just bad AI, bad collision physics, and goofy gameplay.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:12 AM   #45
Rookie

YongYea talks about EA filing patents that adjust difficulty and matchmaking to max player engagement aka spending. To me, this all but proves implementation of ice tilt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC19cGJa-xw&t=665s
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #46
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44

I didn't experience the rubberband effect at all this year.

-Glad to be an Operation Sports Member!-
Old 01-24-2018, 01:13 PM   #47
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome
I didn't experience the rubberband effect at all this year.
I have a few times. But again, could be something in the sliders affecting. I also followed a video saying to max out all your lines energy, shooting, and blocking sliders. I did that and my guys played better. The bad side of this, is that we have to max out sliders to get any type of affect we want. Sliders should only "add" to what should already be in the game.

I also think we have way too many sliders. These seem to wash out the player ratings. Why have a puck control slider when a player already has that rating. The game play should be solely based on player ratings.

If EA ever went that route, I feel IMO, we wouldn't see this rubber band AI. We would also be able to pinpoint where the discrepancy is coming from. You have a defender scoring a lot? Check his ratings. High shot accuracy? Lower it. Simple. You lower it now, you still have the shot accuracy slider as well. They wash each other out.

The FIFA game doesn't have half the sliders this game has and I think that plays great. Use sliders for time acceleration or volume etc. Sliders shouldn't control the players, the players ratings should.

There are too many sliders that are influenced by other sliders and that could be creating this rubber band effect. Nothing is balanced.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #48
Rookie

It's so bad, it's unplayable and that goes for Madden too. The gameplay just doesn't seem 'real'. You are a spectator holding the controller and the players you have on the ice or what you do have very little effect.

I find myself playing a certain basket sim even though I don't even like basket that much but at least the game is satisfying.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »