Home

Are we witnessing the end of this franchise

This is a discussion on Are we witnessing the end of this franchise within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0
Are we witnessing the end of this franchise

Are we witnessing the end of the EA NHL franchise? Since it’s inception on next gen it’s been plagued by bugs, legacy issues, and dreadful lack of any innovation. The past 2 releases were mere roster updates with a few gimmicks and slight gameplay changes but nothing to satisfy hard core hockey fans.

NHL 18 has been the worst release to date in many areas. What makes it terrible is this years lack of attention by EA. Patches have been more content than gameplay fixes and many issues complained about by customers remain in the game since release. While EAs rosters have never been cause for celebration, this year they are woefully inaccurate. If you are a fan of HUT the CS have lacked imagination and Ice Tilt completely exists. If you are an offline franchise or season mode guy, this year is virtually unplayable and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between watching an offline game in NHL 16 to NHL 18

Another sign of the series demise is the lack of forum activity. There is simply nothing to talk about and total lack of interest in playing. On the EA forums legitimate non rude threads asking EA to address issues or answer questions get deleted and the user banned. I have personally had 3 threads and 8 posts deleted and I’ve been banned 3 times all for discussing gameplay flaws, bugs, and asking questions regarding the game. All not rude or bashing. EA has all but abandoned its customers and vocally holds contempt of the hardcore NHL and hockey fan.

Is this EA just mopping up what money they can before shelving a series they never got right and a sport the developers clearly never understood? Is this what we need to happen in order for another developer to step in with s fresh perspective and hopefully a desire to deliver a true hockey experience? Do you honestly think if I’m wrong EA will ever get it right? Your thoughts.....

Last edited by jake19ny; 01-21-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Are we witnessing the end of this franchise

Same posts, different year (from all of us).

But, IMO this is the best gameplay we have had since NHL 14 on last gen.

The game is what it is, an arcade hockey game with a lot of simulation elements for us to adjust via sliders.

Also, no I don't think we are witnessing the end of this franchise.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 01-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy

The game is what it is, an arcade hockey game with a lot of simulation elements for us to adjust via sliders.

You are probably correct and yes we do post the same stuff year in year out but I personally feel the game gets worse with less attention each year. I’m usually a strictly offline only season mode guy and this will be year two I don’t play a season and may honestly skip next year if I don’t hear a lot of positive things from the guys I trust around here like yourself. I simply don’t have the energy or patience to wait on rosters and patches while having to fix their horrific rosters and tweak sliders until I puke. Without a roster share and major fix of the AI, specifically teammate AI (totally ruins most games) I’m a no go for next year. Sadly I honestly do not see EA addressing either.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
Rookie

Wetfred's Arena

I usually play The Show and Fifa and I don’t know much about Hockey but I’m having a lot of fun playing franchise mode. Maybe I have lower expectations but I’m enjoying the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
Banned

babaracus88's Arena

the best thing that could ever happen to this game is roster sharing. the dumbest thing we do as fans of this game is buy it every year regardless of what they do to it. instead of everyone throwing out thousands of ideas that they want added to the game and letting ea choose what they want to add, lets come up with 1 or 2 things we really want and demand that ea adds these or explains to us why not. if they don't give it to us or explain why not then we don't buy the game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy

Agree. I think you can really tell how far the gameplay's come in BaP since you're locked to one player. It's actually possible to play solid defense along with the AI and keep shot totals to realistic levels during the time you're on-ice. And as long as you sim the shifts you aren't on the ice, playing in 20 minutes Real Time is actually possible in that mode for everything except goalie.

Things go wrong when you try to control a whole team though - I'm not sure if the game expects me to always play as the closest player to the puck or not, but if I don't switch around to pressure the play the defense breaks down and leads to those "tilted ice" sequences where the AI just pinballs the puck around the offensive zone. While it does happen on BaP on occasion, it's far less frequent there.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:37 AM   #7
Rookie

Northernwolf's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
Are we witnessing the end of the EA NHL franchise?
Is this EA just mopping up what money they can before shelving a series they never got right and a sport the developers clearly never understood? Is this what we need to happen in order for another developer to step in with s fresh perspective and hopefully a desire to deliver a true hockey experience? Do you honestly think if I’m wrong EA will ever get it right? Your thoughts.....
Well said, Jake.

It is hard to look at what is going on with the EA NHL franchise as it is.
I hardly even post here anymore because I dont have a lot of good things to say about NHL 18 - or the franchise in general at this point in time.

Here is the thing..
I love Hockey for close games, with drama and exitement.
I love hockey for goalies - bless these madmen (and women) who dare to stand in the way of all the snipers and power forwards.
I like hockey for the pressure, the live drama and the hard-nosed grind it is on the soul and body of those who play it.
I love it for the angry third-liner who wants to prove his worth.
I love it for the team play and the sudden changes of pace.
I love hockey for the fans - the vibe of the place as your team comes into the building and everyone goes nuts.

I miss these things in EA's game. It is not "in the game".
And I think there are people at EA who miss it too. They are just not allowed to make the game they want to make or they are tied by other more financial/strategic/bureaucratic reasons.

I dont think EA will just say "this is it" and stop producing NHL games. I think they get their K's from Ultimate team and will keep milking that until infinity.
..Or until the game stops selling.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:43 AM   #8
Pro

jaiman's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Agree. I think you can really tell how far the gameplay's come in BaP since you're locked to one player. It's actually possible to play solid defense along with the AI and keep shot totals to realistic levels during the time you're on-ice. And as long as you sim the shifts you aren't on the ice, playing in 20 minutes Real Time is actually possible in that mode for everything except goalie.

Things go wrong when you try to control a whole team though - I'm not sure if the game expects me to always play as the closest player to the puck or not, but if I don't switch around to pressure the play the defense breaks down and leads to those "tilted ice" sequences where the AI just pinballs the puck around the offensive zone. While it does happen on BaP on occasion, it's far less frequent there.
You nail it on the head when you speak about not controlling the whole team. I play franchise on true broadcast with player lock, and to me, it's a whole new experience. Player lock, like BAP, adds a whole new dynamic to the game. It gives you responsibilities to defend properly, be in position to breakout, use your teammates and get open for scoring chances.

I just posted my in depth slider set. Figured I would link it here, in case someone wishes to try and freshen the game up: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-nhl-18-a.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »