Home

not as bad as some people say

This is a discussion on not as bad as some people say within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #25
Banned

babaracus88's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: not as bad as some people say

the problem with this game is that they need to focus less on what the game looks like and focus more on how the game plays. as far as i'm concerned a hit is a hit i don't care so much what the hit looks like as far as the animation goes i care more that if a 230 pound guy hits a 175 pound guy smaller guy gets knocked down bigger guy slows down and staggers a bit. if a guy is against the boards and braces himself he doesn't necessarily fall down no matter what size he is.

They need to make the players individual ratings differentiate the players from each other. Hitters should be hitters , snipers shoot most of the time, passers look to pass before shooting and defensive guys are hanging back more.

Right now most of the players all have very similar stats, if you look at the current roster most the NHL players are rated in the 70's and 80's, that's not enough separation between 1st and the 4th line. Franchise players should be the only ones over 90 elite should be 85-90 these are your first line players on a stacked team. Then you have your 2nd line players these are your 75 - 85 ratings higher end for good teams lower end for ****ty teams 3rd and fourth lines 65-75 with the players around 65 are your bubble players could be on the 4th line or could be in the minors.

Then I would have the offence and defense awareness be a variable that effects a players overall, for example you could have a player in the minors who is rated say 75 because he is a top prospect like Alexander Nylander but if he's on for a lot of goals against or spends lots of time in his zone when he's on then his defensive awareness goes down and lowers his overall rating down to say 65 so now he doesn't crack the nhl line up and same with offensive awareness the more he scores or is on for goals for the higher his overall goes up and that gives him some time on the top lines this could act sort of like a players confidence this would also create hot and cold streaks for players.

back when this game was on the pc and you could use NHL view to edit every player on a teams passing and offensive awareness for example i would raise the passing and offensive awareness for detroit players by 10 so that when i played detroit they were hard to play against cause they all passed good and had good awareness this of course was back in the late 90's early 2000's when detroit really played that style it made the game more realistic. EA could probably do that too, allow you to give teams an identity like if you make your team a tough team then all the players on that team are better hitters and more aggressive so when you play them they play like anaheim for example but then the flip side would be that they take more penalties. then you could have teams that are more offensive like Edmonton was or more defensive like NJ used to be and for realism you could only give a couple teams identities this way you could give a bit of an advantage to the teams that are good in the real NHL so you don't have a team like arizona kicking *** in your season and a team like the Tampa bay not doing good.

You could probably do most of this with roster sharing. The rating could be done but it would take way too long to do it yourself. Unfortunately i think this would solve a lot of the actual game play problems with this game. You can share rosters with the 360 version and in my opinion the game play in NHL 360 Legacy is 100 times better than XBOX one xbox one just looks way better.

Last edited by babaracus88; 02-09-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #26
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaracus88
the problem with this game is that they need to focus less on what the game looks like and focus more on how the game plays. as far as i'm concerned a hit is a hit i don't care so much what the hit looks like as far as the animation goes i care more that if a 230 pound guy hits a 175 pound guy smaller guy gets knocked down bigger guy slows down and staggers a bit. if a guy is against the boards and braces himself he doesn't necessarily fall down no matter what size he is.

They need to make the players individual ratings differentiate the players from each other. Hitters should be hitters , snipers shoot most of the time, passers look to pass before shooting and defensive guys are hanging back more.

Right now most of the players all have very similar stats, if you look at the current roster most the NHL players are rated in the 70's and 80's, that's not enough separation between 1st and the 4th line. Franchise players should be the only ones over 90 elite should be 85-90 these are your first line players on a stacked team. Then you have your 2nd line players these are your 75 - 85 ratings higher end for good teams lower end for ****ty teams 3rd and fourth lines 65-75 with the players around 65 are your bubble players could be on the 4th line or could be in the minors.

Then I would have the offence and defense awareness be a variable that effects a players overall, for example you could have a player in the minors who is rated say 75 because he is a top prospect like Alexander Nylander but if he's on for a lot of goals against or spends lots of time in his zone when he's on then his defensive awareness goes down and lowers his overall rating down to say 65 so now he doesn't crack the nhl line up and same with offensive awareness the more he scores or is on for goals for the higher his overall goes up and that gives him some time on the top lines this could act sort of like a players confidence this would also create hot and cold streaks for players.

back when this game was on the pc and you could use NHL view to edit every player on a teams passing and offensive awareness for example i would raise the passing and offensive awareness for detroit players by 10 so that when i played detroit they were hard to play against cause they all passed good and had good awareness this of course was back in the late 90's early 2000's when detroit really played that style it made the game more realistic. EA could probably do that too, allow you to give teams an identity like if you make your team a tough team then all the players on that team are better hitters and more aggressive so when you play them they play like anaheim for example but then the flip side would be that they take more penalties. then you could have teams that are more offensive like Edmonton was or more defensive like NJ used to be and for realism you could only give a couple teams identities this way you could give a bit of an advantage to the teams that are good in the real NHL so you don't have a team like arizona kicking *** in your season and a team like the Tampa bay not doing good.

You could probably do most of this with roster sharing. The rating could be done but it would take way too long to do it yourself. Unfortunately i think this would solve a lot of the actual game play problems with this game. You can share rosters with the 360 version and in my opinion the game play in NHL 360 Legacy is 100 times better than XBOX one xbox one just looks way better.
Oh, don't get me wrong. Player differences go way beyond the animations. I've griped about player ratings more years than I can remember now.

It's another issue that I think could easily be solved with EA giving us the ability to share and edit rosters easily (another thing I've bitched about 'til I'm blue in the face). One of the best times I had with the title was the original Revamped Roster that was sadly done in spite of the limitations of EA's game. It was just a workaround way to save another roster and make your console thing it was a previous save of your own.

I'd be 100% fine with keeping the current graphical and animation systems if it meant getting a complete teardown and buildup of the AI and attribute systems, and the sliders that go with them. While the graphics and animations are important, I put the core gameplay as the thing that drives me away the most.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:54 AM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertman
I have been using TNK's sliders for the past two years and the game plays a really good game of hockey. You really need to play defense with his sliders and not just mash the poke check button or you will get penalty after penalty. Game is not perfect like you say but its pretty close for me and also enjoyable so I guess that's all that matters. Cycle and dump the puck and get it to the open man, clear the puck when your under pressure and freeze the puck with the goalie pretty much all of the time and you will be surprised at how well the game plays. Basically play real hockey and no cheesing.
Defense is a big problem for me. Stick pokes/lifts gets me penalties ( considering turning them off on slider.....but it wouldn't be authentic hockey then) and I can't body check. My basic defense strategy is by keeping defenders between AI player and goal in effort to block shots. Wait for my goalie to save and freeze the puck and then hope that I win possession on the subsequent faceoff. Could you tell me what TNK's defense sliders are set to please? Or maybe point me in the right direction to find them online. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:15 AM   #28
Rookie

I've just realised that there is an NHL sliders subforum. I'll peruse this subforum for defense slider suggestions. Most forums have at least one stupid Limey.....and it looks like I'm the one on here!!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #29
Rookie

BigBadAss33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Accrington
I've just realised that there is an NHL sliders subforum. I'll peruse this subforum for defense slider suggestions. Most forums have at least one stupid Limey.....and it looks like I'm the one on here!!
Quick question

Are you a position Lock player?

I ask because I dont care what anyone says if you play position lock and play your position correctly the CPU controlled teammates do exactly the same thing..They play their position(crappy but they do it)

I position lock in 2 positions.. I swap between LW and RD.

IMO, I have noticed that when you play without being locked into a position there is a very slight lag in changing to the correct controlled player. With position lock that very slight delay does not take place and the CPU controlled players do their job.. Not saying that they wont get beat from time to time, it makes the game play that much better.. I will also suggest that if you go position lock you have to know what zones you are responsible, DO NOT under any circumstance chase the puck or you will get slaughtered!!

Test it out for yourself... it works...
Old 02-14-2018, 11:05 AM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadAss33
Quick question

Are you a position Lock player?

I ask because I dont care what anyone says if you play position lock and play your position correctly the CPU controlled teammates do exactly the same thing..They play their position(crappy but they do it)

I position lock in 2 positions.. I swap between LW and RD.

IMO, I have noticed that when you play without being locked into a position there is a very slight lag in changing to the correct controlled player. With position lock that very slight delay does not take place and the CPU controlled players do their job.. Not saying that they wont get beat from time to time, it makes the game play that much better.. I will also suggest that if you go position lock you have to know what zones you are responsible, DO NOT under any circumstance chase the puck or you will get slaughtered!!

Test it out for yourself... it works...
I've had the game (NHL16) for a week and have been playing 'play now' games against the comp. I dont play online or do the HUT thing. Dunno if I can player lock on this mode of gameplay......I suspect that I can't as what info I have found on internet search suggests position lock is for online players only.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #31
Rookie

BigBadAss33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Accrington
I've had the game (NHL16) for a week and have been playing 'play now' games against the comp. I dont play online or do the HUT thing. Dunno if I can player lock on this mode of gameplay......I suspect that I can't as what info I have found on internet search suggests position lock is for online players only.
NHL 16??? move to 18.. seriously a better game with the right sliders.. play the game mode (season - Franchise) the game plays way different that PLAY NOW
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2018, 10:36 PM   #32
Rookie

it seems like the last few years the game out of the box was pretty good then as soon as they do the first patch stuff gets messed up in certain areas of the game that were fine to begin with.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »