Home

not as bad as some people say

This is a discussion on not as bad as some people say within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2018, 04:06 PM   #49
Rookie

ChubbyD's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: not as bad as some people say

Another tidbit that was brought up back in NHL16 (or maybe earlier). When playing defense, use the right stick to direct your defenders toward the puck carrier (just make sure your player isnt near an opponent or they'll hit them and you'll get smacked with an interference penalty). So if you are running around the defensive zone, pick a player, stick with them, and move the right stick in the direction of the puck. Your nearest defenders will begin attacking the puck carrier, sometimes generating turnovers.

This works during the backcheck as well. Once the AI realizes you are doing it, if they have no clear path to enter the zone, they'll dump and chase. It's a silly thing gamewise, but one that makes opponent zone entries more realistic instead of simply backing into your own zone to the house and allowing easy access to the offensive zone.

TWITCH FEED: ShotgunFarmer
Old 04-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #50
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mangang
every year people bash the game, and they have a right to their opinions as I stick mostly to play now and playoff mode, but I always enjoy the NHL games personally. I am realistic though and know its a video game and no matter how much I wish it was more like real hockey on tv it feels as close as the series has come to me.
the game plays fine for me....competitive games, realistic scores. just irks me that they removed the winter classic (which i loved) and the world cup of hockey mode. the new 3 on 3 arcade mode is cool but you can't change the roster at all. something like 3 on 3 hitz would have been better imo.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #51
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredia
the game plays fine for me....competitive games, realistic scores. just irks me that they removed the winter classic (which i loved) and the world cup of hockey mode. the new 3 on 3 arcade mode is cool but you can't change the roster at all. something like 3 on 3 hitz would have been better imo.
Yeah, it is not a bad game in any sense (to me). It is just a very same game. Very little change (to me) over several years (as an offline franchise guy). I will say that I like adding in the expansion draft, and I like the 3 on 3 mode (though I agree some better roster management would have made this mode way better - like franchise lite, with stat tracking and player progression).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2018, 08:56 PM   #52
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
Yeah, it is not a bad game in any sense (to me). It is just a very same game. Very little change (to me) over several years (as an offline franchise guy). I will say that I like adding in the expansion draft, and I like the 3 on 3 mode (though I agree some better roster management would have made this mode way better - like franchise lite, with stat tracking and player progression).
and this game also needs some kind of roster share at this point....if you are not going to include historic teams, let us make our own.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:26 AM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
This game is absolute trash in EASHL. The ai is the worst programmed ai in video game history, and I'm going back to the days of Pong. It's an absolute disgrace to any of those that enjoy real hockey, as it appears the ai has been programmed by first graders. Then you also have to deal with the EA dictated script (momentum/ice tilt) that they swear is not in the game................LOL.............but is so beyond obvious that they should just take their pathetic excuse of a game and hand it over to a company that actually takes pride in what they release. The game has gone downhill steadily since Ramjagsingh took reigns in NHL 10.5 and on, as he has absolutely zero idea what the word "fun" means.

It's just so sad that in this day and age, there's only one pathetic company making an NHL game, and it happens to be the worst rated gaming company in history. But I guess it's typical though that in the end it all boils down to money (greed), as EA is raking it in in HUT, even though it makes zero difference in the end how much or how little you spend. It's time for all of us that truly enjoy the game of hockey to take stand and simply stop buying and supporting this absolute garbage of a game. EA has been milking the same core engine for over 10 years, and until there's a complete 100% overhaul, nothing is going to change. Sorry Rammer, but you've totally destroyed what used to be a fun game, as it's now nothing but a dictated outcome.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:15 AM   #54
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

The problem isn't that the game is "that bad," because in many ways it is quite good. The problem is that most of us have been playing the game for years and the flaws are all still there and many mechanics either work or don't without explanation between Games and even patches.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #55
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

We never really hear EA say regarding the NHL title: "this year we'll BUILD UPON __________________, making this an even greater title for our DEDICATED gamers and NHL fans who love this game..."

No, it's like THIS sport - unlike Madden - gets the "here's a game any 7 year old kid will love..."

THAT is the problem I have with this title. I get that the NHL isn't the NBA or NFL - but those of us who are diehard hockey fans get jobbed over with regard to THIS professional sport, like it's some 3rd-rate game.

This title has the potential to become really good, but it just feels like what I play resembles very little of what I see in an actual NHL game, because some 7 year old might be offended it doesn't play like an arcade game of Blades of Steel...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2018, 02:40 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
We never really hear EA say regarding the NHL title: "this year we'll BUILD UPON __________________, making this an even greater title for our DEDICATED gamers and NHL fans who love this game..."

No, it's like THIS sport - unlike Madden - gets the "here's a game any 7 year old kid will love..."

THAT is the problem I have with this title. I get that the NHL isn't the NBA or NFL - but those of us who are diehard hockey fans get jobbed over with regard to THIS professional sport, like it's some 3rd-rate game.

This title has the potential to become really good, but it just feels like what I play resembles very little of what I see in an actual NHL game, because some 7 year old might be offended it doesn't play like an arcade game of Blades of Steel...
Actually last year this was said
Quote:
Ramjagsingh said his team had a different focus other than Frostbite implementation for this year’s iteration. “With NHL 18, our sole focus was on delivering best feature set possible that best replicates the speed, skill and creativity of the new NHL.”
What we got was NHL Mascot Three's.

Original story: https://stevivor.com/features/interv...ump-frostbite/

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »