Home

Scouting/Drafting in Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on Scouting/Drafting in Franchise Mode within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2018, 04:32 PM   #9
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Scouting/Drafting in Franchise Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadAss33
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

I scout Goalies only if i need one. They are easier than forwards because there are less of them. So 2-3 scouts and you know if they are worth it

I drafted 2 goalies in 6 years so far.. I stole an HIGH ELITE goalie in the 2nd Round (63) who i developed in the AHL for 3 years and has grown to 79 in 3 years. Hes my backup now in the NHL and when TUUKKA retires or i trade him hes the man!!

BTW make sure you scout the REST OF WORLD at least once if there are players listed. I also find that LIIGA, SHL and NATIONAL league are the best to finding sleepers I dont know if thats a coincidence or not.

Do me a favor and post a few of your late round GEMS when you find them.
Ha! Well that's why I come here and ask you guys for help instead of going to reddit

Thanks a ton for your help, I'm gonna get a 'chise going this weekend. I'll let ya know how it goes!
Old 01-31-2018, 06:46 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

Scouting/drafting is a crap shoot and it's like playing a slot machine. My suggestion is to load up on picks.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:44 PM   #11
Pro

SeattleBattleCat's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccavs64
Thanks for the tips! Seriously, that's super helpful.

Yeah that makes sense regarding the 2018 draft - I checked out your dynasty page and saw you drafted Ciolfitto, that almost 70 OVR guy with elite POT in the 5th round and I was wondering how you found him. All I've done so far is sim from the beginning of a franchise up through the 2018 draft and looked at all the prospects, and I wasn't seeing anything close to a "steal" in the later rounds. Guess I won't see a Ciolfitto until 2019 or later.

So just curious, what's your scouting strategy (if you have one)? Since you say that most of the time, the majority of the best prospects come from one specific area, to me it makes sense to scout every region for a week or two to find what that jackpot area is, and then scout as deeply as I can there. Is that what you do or not really?
Quote:
OK... I am strictly a Franchise player and have learned a few tricks that work for me anyway that i will pass along to you.
Scouting:
1. Scout EVERY League at least 1 time at every position except Goalie. The smaller leagues have less players so you will see the more players in less scouting trips.
2. WHL CHL QMJHL and US DON'T always have the best players.
3. DO NOT get blinded by the potential rating. I use the star system - I will explain later about this. It pays off in the later rounds
4. You need to know your team and EVERY player on it(even the AHL)

Here is how I scout to a T.

I can’t say it enough you need to know your team needs and need to check stats every week. Who is scoring, who is not, who is getting scored on the most (+/-) and so on. This all comes into play when scouting. Pay attention to the stats. If you are getting dominated in the faceoff circle time to draft/trade for a Center who had great faceoff skill with high potential.

Back to scouting help.

Here is what I call the use of the STAR System

Make sure YOU as the GM are sending you scout to the locations- DO NOT let the computer handle this. If assigned by system you will miss out on the better players late in the draft.

After scouting every locations forwards at least once you get a picture of some players in that location. This is where if you have been watching how your team is playing week in and week out you have some idea a what you need to improve.

I always scout the smaller regions 1st. Less players less times to scout all players. The more players in a location the longer you need to scout that region.

Don’t concentrate on that. WHL, CHL, QMJHL and US will 95% of the time have the most players, but remember they don’t always have the best players.

The STAR system is a sure-fire way to win in the late round drafts As you scout each regions players you reveal more and more of the players abilities.

Whatever you do don’t believe a scout telling you a player is HIGH ELITE after 1 visit, most of the time he is not right.

If you see a player that you like but have only seen 1, pin him to your board and scout that region until he is seen at least 4 times. That will give you the best chance at the right decision to either keep scouting to find out 100% or take the chance and draft him.

I settle on my 5 pinned players around the trade deadline. Once there I scout ONLY those regions until the player is all green on the star system and the scout has HIGH confidence rating on each category. If he doesn’t pan out then you pin someone else and repeat.

My best pick ever – Boston Bruins Franchise - Year 3 (2019-2020) – Center – Carl Gerbe – 6th Round – National League (14 total Forwards) High Elite (76 Overall) As a rookie. I am 2 years down the road and he is up to an 86 and my 2nd line Center.

There is no perfect system and a lot of luck is involved but as long as you do the star system for the later rounds your farm team will be loaded with tons of potential NHL players of all caliber.

Also remember some players may rate out low in the upper 50’s to low 60’s but have elite potential. Let them develop in the minors. Some pay off, some don’t and Most can be used as trade bait to get a already developed player. And last but not least there is NO chance at rebuilding a team with only draft picks, You must make trades and sign FREE agents to compete.

I LOVE this game. The best NHL ever!!!

Hope this helps a little
Quote:
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

I scout Goalies only if i need one. They are easier than forwards because there are less of them. So 2-3 scouts and you know if they are worth it

I drafted 2 goalies in 6 years so far.. I stole an HIGH ELITE goalie in the 2nd Round (63) who i developed in the AHL for 3 years and has grown to 79 in 3 years. Hes my backup now in the NHL and when TUUKKA retires or i trade him hes the man!!

BTW make sure you scout the REST OF WORLD at least once if there are players listed. I also find that LIIGA, SHL and NATIONAL league are the best to finding sleepers I dont know if thats a coincidence or not.

Do me a favor and post a few of your late round GEMS when you find them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccavs64
Ha! Well that's why I come here and ask you guys for help instead of going to reddit

Thanks a ton for your help, I'm gonna get a 'chise going this weekend. I'll let ya know how it goes!
BigBadAss33 hit the nail on the head of how to scout and also the importance of knowing your teams (NHL & AHL) from game to game, week to week. I scout rather similarly (including goalies, I only ever scout if I really need one) however I think his system is a little better than what I do and he has given me some food for thought on how to tweak and improve, so thanks mate!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2018, 10:08 PM   #12
Just started!

I would also check the free agent pool after the draft for rookies that have high potential. I've picked up a few Mid Elites that way and after a couple years they are almost ready for 3/4 line in the NHL. if they don't look like they will pan out I dump them for picks (something for nothing)

but be careful, sometimes those elites will drop their trade value fast from one year to the next.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #13
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

Thanks for the tips! I think I got most of it down, just trying to figure out how to budget my scouting time is the hardest but I'm still playing around with it.

Quick tip I've noticed to find late round gems - Speed and Acceleration

Any prospect I've drafted so far with 80+ speed or acceleration fully scouted, regardless of the round, has been a steal. This means they're closer to NHL ready than other prospects. But, it's hard to scout these attributes fully with limited time available for tons of players, obviously.

Last edited by sccavs64; 02-05-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:28 AM   #14
Rookie

My overall scouting and drafting strategy:

1. Don't screw up my first round pick(s).
2. Trade down for "exact" players projected to go lower than my pick.
3. Scout for organizational needs by position.
4. Take chances in the later rounds.
5. Draft one goalie every year. Sign the ones that pan out.

The first place I go at the start of a new season is the "view draft class" panel, and I try to get an idea of where prospects are concentrated at each position by sorting the draft by "projected round." In the procedurally generated drafts after the first year, I usually find that one league (like the WHL) will have the majority of prospects initially projected to go in the first round. I'll send a scout to that league for at least month on forwards and defensemen, which will give me a pretty accurate picture of how to approach the first round regardless of where I end up picking (nothing worse than winning the lottery having not scouted any of the top-5 picks). In the first round, I'll usually take the player that I'm most certain is going to be good—regardless of position. If possible, I'll trade down to where they're projected to be drafted rather than take a risk on a player who's projected to go higher but who I haven't scouted fully.

The rest of my scouting will depend on my organizational needs and the way the prospects happen to be sorted that year. I try to alternate my draft emphasis between forwards and defensemen each year so I don't end up in a situation where all of my best forward prospects are ready but my defensemen are still 2 or 3 years away from the NHL. If I'm looking for defensemen this year, I'll send my scouts to leagues that have a lot of them projected to go in the early and middle rounds, where I'm more likely to find defensemen with elite and top-4 potential.

Usually my heavy scouting of a few leagues will identify an "exact" elite player or two who is projected to go outside of the first round. These are the players I make sure to draft, and I'll definitely reach for them. I'm pretty happy if I can come away from a draft with 2 or 3 players with low/medium elite/top-4 defensemen/top-6 forward.

My strategy is to take a flier every year on a goalie in the late rounds. If I really need one, I'll scout them a little bit but mostly it's a shotgun approach.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #15
Rookie

BigBadAss33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBattleCat
BigBadAss33 hit the nail on the head of how to scout and also the importance of knowing your teams (NHL & AHL) from game to game, week to week. I scout rather similarly (including goalies, I only ever scout if I really need one) however I think his system is a little better than what I do and he has given me some food for thought on how to tweak and improve, so thanks mate!
Thanks for the compliment.. I hate to read all the negative posts.. Those people that say the game is broken think they are playing in the real NHL. just drives me nuts.

My scouting system works for me and i hope it works out for you.. Trust me I find a GEM EVERY draft.

I just went finished 2022-2023 and my draft went like this

6 TOTAL PICKS

RD 1 #23 - LW - High Top 6 - 73 overall
RD 3 - #75 D - High Top 4 - 65 overal
RD 4 - # 103 - RW - High Top 9 - 64 overall
RD 4 - # 107 - C - Medium Elite - 65 overall (Faceoff Skill 70 - Speed 93) ***GEM***
RD 5 - # 128 - D - High Top 6 - 61 Overall
RD 7 - #200 - RW - High Top 6 - 60 Overall

I think thats an A+++ draft.. Everyone of those players will make the NHL someday!!!

Last edited by BigBadAss33; 02-06-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #16
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment.. I hate to read all the negative posts.. Those people that say the game is broken think they are playing in the real NHL. just drives me nuts.

My scouting system works for me and i hope it works out for you.. Trust me I find a GEM EVERY draft.

I just went finished 2022-2023 and my draft went like this

6 TOTAL PICKS

RD 1 #23 - LW - High Top 6 - 73 overall
RD 3 - #75 D - High Top 4 - 65 overal
RD 4 - # 103 - RW - High Top 9 - 64 overall
RD 4 - # 107 - C - Medium Elite - 65 overall (Faceoff Skill 70 - Speed 93) ***GEM***
RD 5 - # 128 - D - High Top 6 - 61 Overall
RD 7 - #200 - RW - High Top 6 - 60 Overall

I think thats an A+++ draft.. Everyone of those players will make the NHL someday!!!
Nice!!

I really think looking at speed/acceleration/agility is the way to go on later rounds. Unfortunately it's just a crap shoot as to whether or not any of these attributes get fully scouted or near fully scouted. Wish we had the option to scout specific prospects on trips, would make everything much easier.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »