Home

Old 07-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #25
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: Scouting/Drafting in Franchise Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadAss33
OK... I am strictly a Franchise player and have learned a few tricks that work for me anyway that i will pass along to you.
Scouting:
1. Scout EVERY League at least 1 time at every position except Goalie. The smaller leagues have less players so you will see the more players in less scouting trips.
2. WHL CHL QMJHL and US DON'T always have the best players.
3. DO NOT get blinded by the potential rating. I use the star system - I will explain later about this. It pays off in the later rounds
4. You need to know your team and EVERY player on it(even the AHL)

Here is how I scout to a T.

I canít say it enough you need to know your team needs and need to check stats every week. Who is scoring, who is not, who is getting scored on the most (+/-) and so on. This all comes into play when scouting. Pay attention to the stats. If you are getting dominated in the faceoff circle time to draft/trade for a Center who had great faceoff skill with high potential.

Back to scouting help.

Here is what I call the use of the STAR System

Make sure YOU as the GM are sending you scout to the locations- DO NOT let the computer handle this. If assigned by system you will miss out on the better players late in the draft.

After scouting every locations forwards at least once you get a picture of some players in that location. This is where if you have been watching how your team is playing week in and week out you have some idea a what you need to improve.

I always scout the smaller regions 1st. Less players less times to scout all players. The more players in a location the longer you need to scout that region.

Donít concentrate on that. WHL, CHL, QMJHL and US will 95% of the time have the most players, but remember they donít always have the best players.

The STAR system is a sure-fire way to win in the late round drafts As you scout each regions players you reveal more and more of the players abilities.

Whatever you do donít believe a scout telling you a player is HIGH ELITE after 1 visit, most of the time he is not right.

If you see a player that you like but have only seen 1, pin him to your board and scout that region until he is seen at least 4 times. That will give you the best chance at the right decision to either keep scouting to find out 100% or take the chance and draft him.

I settle on my 5 pinned players around the trade deadline. Once there I scout ONLY those regions until the player is all green on the star system and the scout has HIGH confidence rating on each category. If he doesnít pan out then you pin someone else and repeat.

My best pick ever Ė Boston Bruins Franchise - Year 3 (2019-2020) Ė Center Ė Carl Gerbe Ė 6th Round Ė National League (14 total Forwards) High Elite (76 Overall) As a rookie. I am 2 years down the road and he is up to an 86 and my 2nd line Center.

There is no perfect system and a lot of luck is involved but as long as you do the star system for the later rounds your farm team will be loaded with tons of potential NHL players of all caliber.

Also remember some players may rate out low in the upper 50ís to low 60ís but have elite potential. Let them develop in the minors. Some pay off, some donít and Most can be used as trade bait to get a already developed player. And last but not least there is NO chance at rebuilding a team with only draft picks, You must make trades and sign FREE agents to compete.

I LOVE this game. The best NHL ever!!!

Hope this helps a little
Thank you, this helped a lot for me. I will have to try this for my Coyotes Franchise Mode for my youtube channel. Im currently just getting into season 3. And i have been having trouble drafting prospects. My best prospect in the season 2 draft was a guy with 56 overall low top 9 f. awful. Season 1. we went to the 2nd round and got eliminated by the ducks. and then the second year we went to the stanley cup final and got kicked out by the penguins in 7 .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #26
Just started!

So basically, what I've found to be most effective when scouting in nhl 18, is to just let the cpu do the work for you. There's no effective method I've found, I have even drafted a top 6 forward from North Korea in the 3rd round just for the heck of it (I'm not kidding). It's an absolute given that the first two drafts of any franchise are just gonna be bad, there's no getting around it. The only surefire thing you can do for the 1st (or second draft, I cant remember) is to pick Timothy Liljigren, ALWAYS. Don't ever go for Exact top 9 forwards or exact top 6 defenseman, neither of those types will do you any good in the future. Always have a go big or go home mentality, it'll pay off. I've found that one of the easiest draft picks to make is goalies (After the first THREE years). Many times I'll go for a goalie that has a High fringe starter prediction, and I end up with a medium elite. Even if you don't need a goalie particularly, it's still awesome trade fodder. This is not to say however that you should always draft goalies. Only draft the goalie if it's your only choice. If you can draft an exact to high elite skater, go for it. After about year 4 or 5, make sure to always check free agency for undrafted low elites, I've got undrafted low elites as high as 82 overall, and they progress very well if you manage them well. A couple of tidbits here. 1. If there a player projected to be a franchise player, ALWAYS trade up for that player unless you already have two or more franchise players on your team. It is worth it. 2. If there is a player in the draft that is available and at least high elite, however you don't need that position, still pick that player. It's a good safe pick, and you can trade the player at any time.
3. If you snag a med elite goalie, when it's time to renew his contract, give him an 8 year contract along with whatever money he wants. It pays off for years to come, considering I have a 89 overall goalie who I'm paying 4.8 mil, I'd know.
4. Don't get attached to players on your team who are 86 or below. Generally as you get into the latter half of your franchise, players are gonna start asking for absurd amounts of cash. I'm in year 16 of my current franchise, and it's very common to find 81 overall free agents asking for upwards of 6 mil a year.
If you are concerned about my strategies, just don't be, it's tried and true. In my current franchise, I've won the stanley cup 10 out of 16 years with NO human interference in games. 94 overall offense, 100 overall defense, 89 overall goalie with a medium elite backup at 82, and endless amounts of low to medium elite prospects.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:32 PM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowZ777
So basically, what I've found to be most effective when scouting in nhl 18, is to just let the cpu do the work for you. There's no effective method I've found, I have even drafted a top 6 forward from North Korea in the 3rd round just for the heck of it (I'm not kidding). It's an absolute given that the first two drafts of any franchise are just gonna be bad, there's no getting around it. The only surefire thing you can do for the 1st (or second draft, I cant remember) is to pick Timothy Liljigren, ALWAYS. Don't ever go for Exact top 9 forwards or exact top 6 defenseman, neither of those types will do you any good in the future. Always have a go big or go home mentality, it'll pay off. I've found that one of the easiest draft picks to make is goalies (After the first THREE years). Many times I'll go for a goalie that has a High fringe starter prediction, and I end up with a medium elite. Even if you don't need a goalie particularly, it's still awesome trade fodder. This is not to say however that you should always draft goalies. Only draft the goalie if it's your only choice. If you can draft an exact to high elite skater, go for it. After about year 4 or 5, make sure to always check free agency for undrafted low elites, I've got undrafted low elites as high as 82 overall, and they progress very well if you manage them well. A couple of tidbits here. 1. If there a player projected to be a franchise player, ALWAYS trade up for that player unless you already have two or more franchise players on your team. It is worth it. 2. If there is a player in the draft that is available and at least high elite, however you don't need that position, still pick that player. It's a good safe pick, and you can trade the player at any time.
3. If you snag a med elite goalie, when it's time to renew his contract, give him an 8 year contract along with whatever money he wants. It pays off for years to come, considering I have a 89 overall goalie who I'm paying 4.8 mil, I'd know.
4. Don't get attached to players on your team who are 86 or below. Generally as you get into the latter half of your franchise, players are gonna start asking for absurd amounts of cash. I'm in year 16 of my current franchise, and it's very common to find 81 overall free agents asking for upwards of 6 mil a year.
If you are concerned about my strategies, just don't be, it's tried and true. In my current franchise, I've won the stanley cup 10 out of 16 years with NO human interference in games. 94 overall offense, 100 overall defense, 89 overall goalie with a medium elite backup at 82, and endless amounts of low to medium elite prospects.
From the sounds of your post, you simulate all of your games. Is this true? If so, do you change your lines and strategies manually or have the computer do it? I'm looking to start a franchise purely as a GM. I want to set all the lines and strategies to auto and be responsible for scouting, drafting, trades, free agents, etc. I wish we could hire coaches with different styles.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:45 PM   #28
Rookie

coachmac75's Arena

Anyone experimented a scoyt not making any progress with A+ in the region + B+ general skill ?

I have one which cannot progress the potential of a player and I keep sending him and he is not improving my knowledge on the oplayer. Very frustrating.

OS Vets Futures League Milwaukee Brewers BLOG

Madden 2017: 10 YF Jacksonville Jaguars BLOG

"Sad to say but trades in madden leagues come down to who can take the most advantage of the dumbest users" Jack Wallace
Old 06-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #29
Rookie

coachmac75's Arena

I am not succesful getting answers but one more question.

How material is the injury prone weakness ?

I mean at the end of my season with the Sabres I end up with the 2nd pick at the lottery.
Thing is I only see Kakko here below as exciting pick at 2nd. But he is injury prone.
His comparison is Patrick Kane which is quite exciting since Sabres would benefit a lot from such a profile of player they lack.
but....

So have you guys spent a high pick on injury prone guys ? did it work ?

Alternative might be to trade down...

OS Vets Futures League Milwaukee Brewers BLOG

Madden 2017: 10 YF Jacksonville Jaguars BLOG

"Sad to say but trades in madden leagues come down to who can take the most advantage of the dumbest users" Jack Wallace
Old 06-08-2019, 02:15 AM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmac75
I am not succesful getting answers but one more question.

How material is the injury prone weakness ?

I mean at the end of my season with the Sabres I end up with the 2nd pick at the lottery.
Thing is I only see Kakko here below as exciting pick at 2nd. But he is injury prone.
His comparison is Patrick Kane which is quite exciting since Sabres would benefit a lot from such a profile of player they lack.
but....

So have you guys spent a high pick on injury prone guys ? did it work ?

Alternative might be to trade down...

I picked kakko fifth overall and he had the same injury attribute. He played 80 of 82 games so it hasnt really manifested itself so far.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »